• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Changing who you support

football forum

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I certainly couldn't do it at this stage of my life. I could see youngish kids being able to change but I'm far too attached to Everton.

The circumstances where I could understand it are when you have a Wimbledon/MK Dons scenario. If Everton for some reason moved out of Liverpool and became a different club I probably wouldn't support that team and would likely just support Cambridge.

• Subscriber

I think it is alot more common in the younger folk and when you start out watching and following a team, even as Cicero says multiple teams i dont think is even that uncommon. Maybe im just old and bitter...seems likely.

It's bound to happen a lot, just not in these circles, where most people take football a bit more seriously and don't view it as a cursory hobby.

I think it would mostly young people because they are prone to change interests a lot anyway. At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter at all.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

My Dad was a City fan, i had no choice in the matter xD  ..been a City fan longer than you have been alive 

i'm older than 9 though :D 

as if you gave a -1 for that as well. Clearly messing about!

• Subscriber

I'm at such point in life where I couldn't start supporting any club passionately, I just don't care enough anymore. I think it's ok to change allegiances as a kid/teen (depending on circumstances), unless you change it every month or so, then you're just trying hard to fit in :ph34r:

If you strip away the prestige of a club or match you are left with something incredibly boring and pointless which won't hold your attention.

Clubs might not be unique, but if they are not treat as if they are then they would struggle to create loyalty.

People who switch clubs or say they support multiple clubs are a threat to the glue that holds the whole game together.

In all seriousness, I feel less and less attached to Leyton Orient by the day. I haven't been swayed by anyone else, I just care much less about Orient. Even the change of ownership hasn't swayed me, the fixtures have come out and I've barely batted an eyelid in their direction and even going to the friendly on Saturday, I wasn't really watching what was going on and I wasn't fussed on who was scoring, what the score was or whether any of the trialists were any good or not.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Probably an age old forum discussion across the Internet and I'm sure we're all expecting a few to be predictable but can it be done? Has anyone done it? Would anyone consider doing it?

No. It's unforgivable. Glory hunting mongish behaviour. It's why there are so many Southern Man Yooo fans. Embarrassing, 

Well, I thought like that once. I grew up supporting BVB, then Fortuna and then settled for BVB when I was a teenager. I guess because they were successful and full of glory back in the day, and almost every kid kind of supported them or Bayern. Only recently I have re-found my love for Fortuna Düsseldorf. I'm in the stadium in 20 minutes after leaving the house, 2. Bundesliga football feels a bit less pure business-ish, and the huge influx of (other) glory hunting fans during the Klopp-era always annoyed me. I still like them, I still root for them, but as I said, I kind of shifted my position in favour of Fortuna Düsseldorf. Feels great to support a club AND your city. I was feeling less and less emotions when I watched BVB, and being at almost every home game of Fortuna Düsseldorf last season kind of made me find my passion for football again. They're mostly shite, but that makes a win feel even more special :P 

34 minutes ago, Batard said:

No. It's unforgivable. Glory hunting mongish behaviour. It's why there are so many Southern Man Yooo fans. Embarrassing, 

This assumes though that all changes will be to bigger/better clubs, which isn't always the case.

That time of the year again :coffee:

I was brought up West Ham by my dad, I changed teams all the time as a kid but generally for about a day or so and then back to West Ham xD But as a child they were the only team I actually supported. Lost interest in football at about 18, I'm from the outskirts of west London and was following an east London team, just didn't have a connection anymore.

Started going Brentford again as I used to in my early to mid teens and lived happily ever after, the end.

Grew up supporting Perth Glory and Manchester United, despite my family supporting a mixture of Chelsea, Crystal Palace and Tottenham. Got to about 18-19 and gave up on EPL and realised I had no link to United. Still went to a game in 2012 though O.o

Always supported Perth Glory, even though they piss me the fuck off with their shite all across the club. I still found myself changing plans when I was abroad to try stream their games. Doubt I'll get a membership this season though.

I did spend a little time following Aldershot Town too :ay:

edit: Totally realised I haven't even answered the question. I think when you're young it's fine to change. It is also fine to change whenever you want if your club has sold out/insert other extreme case here. IF you don't feel it anymore, you don't feel it.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Large said:

This assumes though that all changes will be to bigger/better clubs, which isn't always the case.

As covered by @Tsubasa but I see that as something else. I used to be a season ticket holder at Loftus Road and I'd go watch Leyton Orient occasionally. That's not changing allegiances but casual support. In my entirely subjective view, changing support is when you're a kid and you've supported Leeds for a season and then switched to Liverpool for no other reason than ... just because. I grew up with transients like that and imagined they became commitment phobes. Unfairly no doubt 😂

33 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I am against it, but then again could care less what other people do. If you need to change your club for any reason it is fine by me, but i wouldn't do it no matter what.

Couldn't *

In some circumstances I feel it's inevitable that someone may consider changing their support.

Although I don't support a team the local 'big' team are Coventry City and they've been in turmoil with their shitty owners SISU for years now. They've suffered two relegations and have been abandoned by their owners who don't want to sell and have recently been rejecting offers. Their stadium has been sold by the city council to the former London Wasps who have rebranded it and are looking to kick Cov out as soon as they can. It's horrible. Whilst teams who were in similar positions, the Blackpools and the Portsmouths and the Charlton Athletics, have no means of coming up without a ton of money and luck switching support for such reasons is absurd. If a club's soul is ripped out, as was the case with the former Wimbledon or lately Steaua Bucharest in Romania, then it's more than justified to switch. This isn't a problem for Premier League teams at the moment who can splash cash like it grows on trees and aside from isolated cases generally aren't threatened with poor ownership.

In these instances it really isn't justified for people to switch. As Anton said at the end of the day you have to feel the passion and a connection to your club and if that's not there anymore there's no point.

This question does raise another issue though, and some of the responses to it in this thread show why clubs fleece the bollocks out of its support. I stopped going to West Ham when Allardyce took over. I never stopped supporting the club, but had no interest in watching the style of football that was being served up. Got some absolute dogs abuse from some people stating that I was not a true supporter, not like those who were going regardless. But I've never felt that way. As much as I support the club I also pay good money to watch them and buy merchandise. If more people actually demanded more from their clubs and talked with their feet when their expectations were not met then things would be a lot different. But hey ho, that's my little 'soap box' moment. Back on topic now.

On 19/07/2017 at 4:01 PM, Panflute said:

It's bound to happen a lot, just not in these circles, where most people take football a bit more seriously and don't view it as a cursory hobby.

I think it would mostly young people because they are prone to change interests a lot anyway. At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter at all.

It does matter. Changing your team is sacrilege of the most verminous kind, would you want a friend who changes sides? I'd lock up anyone who does it shows a real failure of character and weakness at their heart.

15 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It does matter. Changing your team is sacrilege of the most verminous kind, would you want a friend who changes sides? I'd lock up anyone who does it shows a real failure of character and weakness at their heart.

Archived