talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Can you support more than one Football club?

football forum

Read an interesting article about this recently. Basically, it was written by a Liverpool fan who went to work in London and after a couple of drinks he got into the quite usual conversation about Football with this clients of his and one said he supported Brighton but then this bloke's workmate made a joke about Manchester United and at first glance, this Liverpool fan thought this bloke was a gloryhunting Southerner but it turned out the bloke was born in Manchester and lived there till he was about 8/9 and his Dad took him to Old Trafford but then moved to Brighton for work and once he got into his teens his school mates went to Brighton so he followed and gained an affinity to them. The bloke went on to say that he follows both still. 

I was wondering whether it's possible, whether it's right in your eyes or why it's wrong. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I personally couldn't.

I've invested and plied so much time in to Leicester City and because of that they're the only team I can see myself having an affinity with. I don't think I could ever support a club in the same way that I support Leicester. Even just a little bit.

I may follow and have a mild interested in other clubs I may have liked growing up (Barcelona, AC Milan, Juve, Dortmund etc) mainly due to players that were playing for them and who I looked up to when I first got in to football, but to support another club? Not a chance.

Right now I'm glad I have the option of watching Leicester as it is fairly convenient (an hour's drive or slightly longer on the train) and I'm also very much happy that I have my dad and my brother who I can go to watch Leicester games with. That's part of the fun and experience of supporting Leicester for me that I can go through highs and lows with them. Even if I moved away to Brighton for example or way up to North East/West, I'd still support Leicester and travel to as many games as possible. It's the pride of supporting them from a very young age and the attachment and love that has developed over all of those years. it'd be almost too much effort to put so much time and investement in to another club as much as I have with Leicester. 

19 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Read an interesting article about this recently. Basically, it was written by a Liverpool fan who went to work in London and after a couple of drinks he got into the quite usual conversation about Football with this clients of his and one said he supported Brighton but then this bloke's workmate made a joke about Manchester United and at first glance, this Liverpool fan thought this bloke was a gloryhunting Southerner but it turned out the bloke was born in Manchester and lived there till he was about 8/9 and his Dad took him to Old Trafford but then moved to Brighton for work and once he got into his teens his school mates went to Brighton so he followed and gained an affinity to them. The bloke went on to say that he follows both still. 

I was wondering whether it's possible, whether it's right in your eyes or why it's wrong. 

Completely normal in my view. 

• Subscriber

It depends on your circumstances. Growing up on the Isle of Man there are no actual football teams to get involved with locally apart from Sunday League, so I inherited Everton and Cambridge United from my Mum, whose reasons for supporting Everton, alongside her local team and eventual employers Cambridge, pretty much fall into the 'glory hunter' category.

I support Everton and Cambridge, but Everton are certainly my number one team. When I was younger though it was Cambridge as my Mum was still running the website and we'd go and see them in pre-season etc. when we got the chance, much more than ever seeing Everton. As I got older though and Everton were the easier team to watch and follow, they became my main team growing up and I've invested most of my footballing time and emotion into them. I still support Cambridge but it's not quite the same.

I think you can support more than one team, but there's always going to be the one which you're actually really invested in.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think you can support more than one team, but there's always going to be the one which you're actually really invested in.

This, absolutely. 

It's like being in love with more than one person. It's possible, but you still care more about one of them.

31 minutes ago, nudge said:

This, absolutely. 

It's like being in love with more than one person. It's possible, but you still care more about one of them.

And although I probably don't say it enough, I appreciate that dearly.

Of course you can. As mentioned above, there will be one in particular that you'll be really invested in, but as long as its not in the same league there is NOTHING wrong with it. This isn't the NFL, its an international sport with many different leagues and competitions. The thought that its wrong to support more than one club is a myth that derived from the UK where the football culture is more strict than other nations. Its English thinking in my eyes.

Here in Peru everyone has a local team they support and a European team. I'm no exception. Universitario/Napoli for me.

Yeah, especially if the two club rarely ever play each other or are in different countries even! When the two teams are separated by nations it may as well be different sports. I can support a basketball team and a baseball team, no? And let's face it, most club don't play in European leagues so they chances are virtually zero. For myself, I'd be very surprised if Brisbane ever played Chelsea outside of a pre-season friendly. Who am I more attached to? Probably Brisbane because I lived there and watched the club live but really I prefer to watch Chelsea because it's on at a more reasonable time and the quality is higher. Overall, I feel more like a fan of the sport than a particular diehard of any club. I don't consider myself a 'real' Chelsea fan like those that are from west-London, and I don't follow the A-League that closely anymore.

It's a very 'English' mentality to support only the local team. It has it's merits in unabashed sincerity but I feel it's a side-affect of the stereotypical 'English homebird'. That is just the culture though, there is nothing wrong with that, however people shouldn't extrapolate that mentality to other cultures.

I know a lot pf people that support Bristol city or rover's and like a premier league club as well.  Not for me personally I have always supported Arsenal only. However I want my local teams to do well. I don't have a problem with people supporting two teams though. 

If you're brought up supporting a team, maybe your father or grand father has introduced you to them. Or if you're from an area where you're represented by a club then I personally think you'd find it impossible to support another club anywhere near as passionately as the original.

I was going to games with my dad at a very young age, I can barely remember most of them but when I did hit an age where my memory is good enough - for example the 4-3 win against Manchester United at SJP, memories like that and the feeling of pure emotion are unmatchable. As people have probably seen I have been massively disillusioned with Newcastle United for a good few years, but even last season when we won late on at the Amex against Brighton, that feeling was just unbelievable. I wasn't at the match but if I was it would have been even better. That late goal that Villa scored against Brighton, the absolute bedlam all around me, people going mental. I was stood there telling people that it hadn't happened and when when my mate showed me his phone and they had equalised to win us the league that feeling was just unreal. It's as if nothing else matters in the world at that point, just pure joy that you can't explain to anyone who doesn't understand. And that is because the club represents who you are, where you're from and even your family. 

Might sound cringey but for that reason it is impossible to support more than one club in my eyes. If people want to support two clubs then fine. If people want to support ten clubs then fine. But they will never understand what I have tried to describe.

I want to see Gateshead do well, I want to see South Shields do well too. And I have been to games in the past and left the ground happy after wins but it is nowhere near the same. Nothing will ever come close.

I'm a hypocritical person and will say you can't support more than one. I do support Philadelphia and Stoke, but I understand what everyone is saying that you can't because whenever someone says they like Philly and New York or Philly and some random place like St. Louis I'm like you're wrong you can't do that it unless you legit don't care about the sport. 

15 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

If you're brought up supporting a team, maybe your father or grand father has introduced you to them. Or if you're from an area where you're represented by a club then I personally think you'd find it impossible to support another club anywhere near as passionately as the original.

I was going to games with my dad at a very young age, I can barely remember most of them but when I did hit an age where my memory is good enough - for example the 4-3 win against Manchester United at SJP, memories like that and the feeling of pure emotion are unmatchable. As people have probably seen I have been massively disillusioned with Newcastle United for a good few years, but even last season when we won late on at the Amex against Brighton, that feeling was just unbelievable. I wasn't at the match but if I was it would have been even better. That late goal that Villa scored against Brighton, the absolute bedlam all around me, people going mental. I was stood there telling people that it hadn't happened and when when my mate showed me his phone and they had equalised to win us the league that feeling was just unreal. It's as if nothing else matters in the world at that point, just pure joy that you can't explain to anyone who doesn't understand. And that is because the club represents who you are, where you're from and even your family. 

Might sound cringey but for that reason it is impossible to support more than one club in my eyes. If people want to support two clubs then fine. If people want to support ten clubs then fine. But they will never understand what I have tried to describe.

I want to see Gateshead do well, I want to see South Shields do well too. And I have been to games in the past and left the ground happy after wins but it is nowhere near the same. Nothing will ever come close.

Agreed.

When you are all in with that one club you live and breathe for, every game you play is so much more magnified. Every win is that much more sweeter, every defeat that much more painful. I feel sympathy for fans that will never quite 'feel' passion such as this. I will probably be close to tears if Leeds ever finally get promoted because I have felt every bump in the bloody journey with them.

I was going to write something very similar but you've summed it up so well for me, I'm just gonna let you have kudos, plus one it, and agree.

Archived