talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TF365 Quiz 7 - 21st Century Serie A

football forum

• Subscriber

Please make sure you have read the Guidelines and FAQ before taking part in the Quiz League - this will only take you two minutes.

Quiz League Round 7 - 21st Century Serie A

As the Bundesliga quiz was well-received, I've gone for a similar format as we move on to look at your knowledge of Italy's premier competition. I expect people to struggle a bit more on this as doing the research for this one highlighted just how little I personally know about Serie A's recent history. Time to see what you can recall of an era of Italian football that gave us names such as Buffon, Del Piero, Totti and Pirlo, but was also marred by a shocking match-fixing scandal. As always, feedback is appreciated and your comments on the La Liga quiz helped to create a quiz that was more enjoyable for most people when we moved onto the Bundesliga. Good luck!

Click Here to take the quiz!

Access Code: 3PWA7D2

Round 7 Deadline: Saturday 22 July 17:00 (UK Time)

Remember! Do not give away answers in this thread until they have been revealed after the deadline!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped halfway after realizing that I've only been familiar with this decade of Serie A. Didn't want to embarrass myself xD

I found it quite hard anyhow due to table questions

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I stopped halfway after realizing that I've only been familiar with this decade of Serie A. Didn't want to embarrass myself xD

I found it quite hard anyhow due to table questions

You want me to discount your entry then?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Will give this a go tomorrow as I'll be at football tonight. 

Notify me if I haven't posted a score by Friday someone. 

Will do but the deadline is actually Saturday which I've now corrected. 

• Subscriber

We are keen beans this time with 15 entries already.

Just some warning that there may be a bit less activity on here over the next week as I'm moving out of my flat and back to the Isle of Man on Tuesday. I might not find time to get another quiz up until some time next week but I will still try and get it done on Saturday after this one closes.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:54 PM, RandoEFC said:

We are keen beans this time with 15 entries already.

Just some warning that there may be a bit less activity on here over the next week as I'm moving out of my flat and back to the Isle of Man on Tuesday. I might not find time to get another quiz up until some time next week but I will still try and get it done on Saturday after this one closes.

You may have put it somewhere and I've missed it but how many quizzes in total are there?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

You may have put it somewhere and I've missed it but how many quizzes in total are there?

No plans to do a finite number. I'll carry this on until either there isn't any more interest or I don't have time to continue making them. 

I did find time last night to write the next two quizzes:

- Champions League 2016-17

- Journeymen

Quite pleased with both, should be good fun.

• Subscriber

Okay, I believe I have all the results we're going to get here. Do be aware that this quiz was an absolute son of a bitch on my part, so the average score is probably looking a bit less than normal.

Quiz 7 Answers

1) Juventus were crowned Serie A champions again in 2016-17. How many consecutive titles have they now won?

C – 6. Juventus returned to Serie A in 2007-8 and managed to finish third at the first time of asking. However, they had to wait until 2011-12 for their first title since the match-fixing scandal, their first of six consecutive successes. 44% answered correctly.

2) Who was manager of Juventus when they won the 2004-05 and 2005-06 titles before they were later stripped of both championships?

D – Fabio Capello. Ancelotti was well clear of Juventus by the time the match-fixing scandal occurred, managing the club between 1999 and 2001. Deschamps took the reins following Capello’s tenure in Turin, and the Frenchman was subsequently succeeded by Ranieri, who oversaw Juve’s return to Serie A. 88% answered correctly.

3) The 2004-2005 championship was not awarded to anyone after Juventus were stripped of the title due to their involvement in the match-fixing scandal. Who finished in 2nd place that season?

A – AC Milan. As Milan were also implicated in the scandal, they were not awarded the title either and the 2004-05 season went without a Serie A champion. 69% answered correctly.

4) Which one of the following clubs was not implicated in the 2006 match-fixing scandal?

C – Inter Milan. While Fiorentina and Lazio were initially hit with relegations to Serie B, they started the following season instead with a points deduction in Serie A, along with AC Milan. Internazionale took advantage of their rivals’ deductions and Juventus’ relegation to Serie B, winning five championships in a row between 2006-2010. 69% answered correctly.

5) How many times have AC Milan won the Serie A title since (and including) the 2000-2001 season?

B – 2. Milan were champions in 2003-04, and again in 2010-11. 50% answered correctly.

6) Roma won their last Serie A title in the 2000-2001 season. How many times have they finished as runners-up since then?

D – 9. In the sixteen seasons since they last took top spot, AS Roma have finished 2nd an incredible nine times, including last season and the 2005-06 season, where they were moved up following Juventus’ disqualification from the championship. 6% answered correctly.

7) How many times has Roma legend Francesco Totti been the top goalscorer over the course of a Serie A season?

B – 1. Totti’s 26 goal haul in 2006-07 saw him win the Serie A golden boot for the only time in his career. 31% answered correctly.

8) Which one of the following teams has not finished in the top three of Serie A since before the 2000-2001 season?

C – Torino. In fact, Torino’s highest Serie A finish in this time period is only 7th. Lazio have a trio of third-placed finishes since the turn of the decade, Udinese were third in 2011-12, and Napoli have finished in the top three a number of times, including the 2016-17 season. 69% answered correctly.

9) Which one of the following Italian marksmen has never been the top goalscorer over the course of a Serie A season?

A – Alberto Gilardino. Despite finding himself in the top ten of all-time Serie A goalscorers, Gilardino has never been the top marksman over the course of a single season. Luca Toni and Antonio Di Natale have each won the accolade twice, while Immobile’s 22 goal haul for Torino was more than anyone else in the 2013-14 season. 38% answered correctly.

10) Of these current Serie A players, which one has scored the most career goals in the Italian top tier?

A – Alberto Gilardino. The Pescara man is head and shoulders above the rest here, with 188 Serie A goals putting him ahead of other options Quagliarella (108), Pellissier (107) and Higuain, who is joint fourth of current Serie A players with Marco Borriello (95). 69% answered correctly.

Results

597382f880fdb_Quiz7Results.thumb.png.a7f6208ffb41ff074f6fc3598db1c9e5.png

A great effort from @Saturdays Are For The Boys who must know more about the Italian league than many of us thought :ph34r:. Meanwhile, @Stan and @Lucas land in the top three as well amidst their ongoing battle for top spot in the table. @Dan can be forgiven for this performance given that he's on holiday so was hopefully pissed when he logged in to take the quiz.

Archived