• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jorginho to Arsenal - Deal Completed

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Why? 

He doesn’t have the dynamism to be an effective midfielder in Arteta’s set up, and more importantly they will have to offer a long term deal if they want Jorginho. Much like they did with Willian. 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He doesn’t have the dynamism to be an effective midfielder in Arteta’s set up, and more importantly they will have to offer a long term deal if they want Jorginho. Much like they did with Willian. 

Fair. 

I'm surprised they've not continued to pursue Tielemans again. Maybe on a free they'll try. Any European club could have signed him on a pre-contract this month, also surprised that's not happened too. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Fair. 

I'm surprised they've not continued to pursue Tielemans again. Maybe on a free they'll try. Any European club could have signed him on a pre-contract this month, also surprised that's not happened too. 

This is Rudiger all over again.

Jorginho is 31, him and his team will realise this next contract will be his last big one, so if Arsenal want him they are going to have to offer something Willian esq. If they do, Arsenal are mad. 

I like Jorginho but he isn't at all suited for the Premier League. 

• The title was changed to Jorginho to Arsenal - £12m Fee Agreed
  • The title was changed to Jorginho to Arsenal - Deal Completed

Not totally sold on this one. It's a short term fix and I expect we'll go in for either Rice or Caicedo in the summer.

Partey & Xhaka have been incredible this season and the drop off from them to our backups is big. Solid players but nothing more. Don't know if Jorginho solves that. According to Chelsea fans he just doesn't have it anymore but if he can do an okay job when Partey is rested then he'll have been an okay purchase.

39 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Not totally sold on this one. It's a short term fix and I expect we'll go in for either Rice or Caicedo in the summer.

Partey & Xhaka have been incredible this season and the drop off from them to our backups is big. Solid players but nothing more. Don't know if Jorginho solves that. According to Chelsea fans he just doesn't have it anymore but if he can do an okay job when Partey is rested then he'll have been an okay purchase.

He is more cover for Xhaka and Partey than any kind of improvement.  He may be better than Elneny but it isn't like Elneny has even been included. 

Not having any favouritism either direction on the clubs involved, it seems an excellent January addition to Arsenal's title chasing squad...?

That view is based on how I would imagine he will be used more as someone to come on & shore things up for last 20 - 30 minutes of matches. Perhaps start games Arteta thinks may be a good match for his style. Obviously it would raise eyebrows if he comes in as a 1st choice starter & the style of play is changed & it doesn't seem to work. And, yes, seeing Chelsea buying a whole new starting 11 for several billion maybe feels extra galling when it feels your club is just picking up their cast offs. And you think it should be better than that. But I can't help but think if it was a Real Madrid or Barcelona or Bayern Munich midfielder, etc, of similar age & profile, people would 100% be wetting their knickers.

Don't understand what the outcry is for Arsenal really. 

Caicedo would have been bought to be a starter. There was not enough time for it to happen.

Jorginho is being bought to be a squad player. They just lost Elneny to a big injury so they are a midfielder down.

For £12m, it's useful experience to have around a squad that arent used to winning big things. He will come on and do the simple things right at times in the game when they need him to.

I really don't think it's that bad a signing, especially on a two year contract.

29 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Don't understand what the outcry is for Arsenal really. 

Caicedo would have been bought to be a starter. There was not enough time for it to happen.

Jorginho is being bought to be a squad player. They just lost Elneny to a big injury so they are a midfielder down.

For £12m, it's useful experience to have around a squad that arent used to winning big things. He will come on and do the simple things right at times in the game when they need him to.

I really don't think it's that bad a signing, especially on a two year contract.

Bar his lack of physicality and athleticism, the only issue is that you can only play Jorginho one way, and that is him as the anchor. Given what Arteta has done so far, you'd think he has a plan to utilise effectively. I can see Jorginho helping them in the Europa League. He thrives in Europe. 

Many Chelsea fans are delighted, myself included but not to the extent we don't replace what he offers. 

Archived