talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(SF 2nd Leg) - EFL Cup 2022/23 - Newcastle (1) vs (0) Southampton - Tuesday 31st January, 2023

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a big day on many fronts,  deadline day and a chance to go to a cup final,  imagine that one if you will.   If you had said to me on 31 January 2022 we would be on the cusp of a cup final a year from now,  I would have told you to pass whatever you are on around.   It has been the wildest year and a cup final will put a bowtie on hard work.   

I said at the end of last season that it would be more remembered due to the emotional rise from dejection with another seemingly inevitable Mike Ashley relegation year to the great turn around from 1 February 2022.   Likewise I think if we were to win the caraboa cup,  it will be more remembered than any subsequent trophies and these players will be somewhat immortalized.    It's a very big day to earn the right to play in a game which will be the biggest day in Newcastle history since maybe the 2002/3 season trips to the Old Lady and Bernabau to play Juventus and Barcelona in the Champions League

Big occasion, we need composure. If the goal doesn't come quickly we can't get rushed. If Southampton score we can't panic.

Not sure what Southampton's approach will be. I'd think smartest move they could make is keep it tight for 65 minutes with counter threat then go all out for it.

22 minutes ago, N U F C said:

The tie is nowhere near done despite what some of our fans seem to believe.

Southampton made more chances against us last week than most teams have done recently. First goal is massive.

I think it was our wastefulness that kept it a tie

10 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

it was 2.6 vs 1.11 xG a 1-0 is pretty fair and it was the away leg.   I am pretty sure the players know its not done and will be fired up.

Yeah I'm not saying we didn't deserve to win, my point was that Southampton created a few decent chances against us and if they took one it looks totally different.

We are in the driving seat but that's it.

the ref was another underqualified shit weasel who let Southampton get away with wrestling players down, that first half incident was a penalty and possible red as he was behind Wilson, Wilson got goalside of him and he committed a professional foul.   then the hand ball, again in a season where arms next to the body are getting penalties, labia was backstroking it.

2 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

I thought we were superb until they scored out of the blue. Then we gradually lost our intensity and collective pressing.

But job done. Deserved to go through overall.

I felt miggy snowballed like miggy of old when things went against him his body language was not good.  I think he is mentally tired and i think he needs a few games off just to reset.  in the second have he received 6 passes and missed 5 of them.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived