talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(SF 2nd Leg) - EFL Cup 2022/23 - Man Utd (3) vs (0) Nottm Forest - Wednesday 1st February, 2023

football forum

• The title was changed to (SF 2nd Leg) - EFL Cup 2022/23 - Man Utd (3) vs (0) Nottm Forest - Wednesday 1st February, 2023
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Devil said:

Happy with the result and not surprised in the slightest but I'm absolutely amazed at the side he started and finished with.

ETH should have been resting for me.

Makes sense either way you slice it. Resting players is good because, let's be honest, I think it was basically nailed on United would go through after the first leg even if they rested players. It gives key players a break, gives fringe players a shot to show they've got what it takes to do more... we all know the benefits of resting players.

And on the other hand, I can see why Ten Hag would want to put a strong side out and keep it strong for the whole remainder of the semis. It sends a psychological message, that United's playing today not just to make it to a final - but to convincingly win a final. I think the first trophy a manager wins at a club is always a bit important. United are a club that should be expected to win trophies and he'll be wanting those players to know he's expecting them to deliver, not just today and not just tomorrow. It also sends a psychological message to Forest, tbh. Too weak of a side and you give them enough hope to maybe have the confidence to pull off a big upset. A strong side coming out probably has them feeling dead and buried before a whistle is blown.

Tbh, I'd lean towards not resting players if it was me. First season at a club and you're in a semi-final... you've got to press on that and go all out for winning your first trophy in that first season. It sets a tone and success breeds success, even if it's only temporary. And with players like Casemiro in the squad, who know that winning is difficult but addictive, you want that sort of belief and attitude to spread to other players in the squad.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Makes sense either way you slice it. Resting players is good because, let's be honest, I think it was basically nailed on United would go through after the first leg even if they rested players. It gives key players a break, gives fringe players a shot to show they've got what it takes to do more... we all know the benefits of resting players.

And on the other hand, I can see why Ten Hag would want to put a strong side out and keep it strong for the whole remainder of the semis. It sends a psychological message, that United's playing today not just to make it to a final - but to convincingly win a final. I think the first trophy a manager wins at a club is always a bit important. United are a club that should be expected to win trophies and he'll be wanting those players to know he's expecting them to deliver, not just today and not just tomorrow. It also sends a psychological message to Forest, tbh. Too weak of a side and you give them enough hope to maybe have the confidence to pull off a big upset. A strong side coming out probably has them feeling dead and buried before a whistle is blown.

Tbh, I'd lean towards not resting players if it was me. First season at a club and you're in a semi-final... you've got to press on that and go all out for winning your first trophy in that first season. It sets a tone and success breeds success, even if it's only temporary. And with players like Casemiro in the squad, who know that winning is difficult but addictive, you want that sort of belief and attitude to spread to other players in the squad.

We play weekend, midweek for about the next 6 weeks at least. Unless he's just doing recovery work constantly in training the players will eventually need resting.

I think Newcastle play half the games we do before the final.

• Subscriber

Heard some shit commentary during games in my time. But the lady on Sky last night spoke so much shit. On top of that her voice irritated the shit out of me. Michael Owen seemed good compared to her.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived