talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

I rewatch The X-Files and review every episode

football forum

Currently, I'm on my third watch of The X-Files. It's a show I've loved since childhood, and one that I believe has held up remarkably well whilst also being a distinct product from the '90s. The previous time I decided to rewatch the series, I remember toying with the idea of writing a short blurb on every episode to share my thoughts. In the end, I was too lazy to do such, and it was also a bit impractical since I still watched everything on a good ol' DVD player.

This time around, I'm watching the series on my PC, so it's no effort to open a text document after every episode to type up my thoughts in 5 or so minutes. Up until now, I've only shared these blurbs on my Discord server, to a presumed audience of 1 (myself). But seeing as we have a TV forum here, I figured I'd might as well share them here as well. I've already finished watching the first season, so I'll be posting the reviews for those episodes, plus a short season recap, on here.

Now a few short, important notes:

• While the primary purpose of this is just my own entertainment, I try my best to write these blurbs without giving away big spoilers about the episodes or the overarching story, so that it may also be used as an episode guide by people who maybe want to give this series a shot without necessarily starting from scratch. If there are major spoilers in the blurb, I will indicate such.
  • For brevity's sake, I will limit each episode's review to just 1 paragraph. This also applies to the season recap.
  • I will assign each episode a score of 1-10 in case you don't like reading.
  • It is important to know that each episode of The X-Files fits one of two categories: Monster-Of-The-Week episodes are episodes that tell a one-off, self-contained story that is often resolved by the end of their 45 min. running time. Conspiracy episodes tell an overarching story that delves deeper into the series' lore. At the end of each season, I will pick my favorite episode in each category.
  • While I say I have watched the series twice already, I never got further in than Season 7. This time I intend to watch all 9 initial seasons, as well as Seasons 10 and 11, which were released in more recent years.
  • Feel free to comment or discuss. It's no problem to 'break' the flow of the topic as it's always nice to know if someone is reading these.

TNA47-Schulman-X-Files1.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here comes a bit of a dump as I already finished Season 1 before opening this thread:

S1.E1 - Pilot: 8/10

Somehow I always confuse the pilot episode with the one that came after. My memory being hazy as usual, I was again surprised by how well on track the series already is in its first entry. The chemistry between Mulder and Scully is already there, Mulder's snappy dialogue is already in place, and it has this dark early '90s vibe that the series would maintain until they moved the shooting location from Vancouver to LA after season 5.

S1.E2 - Deep Throat: 8/10

Basically the first proper conspiracy/mythology episode. It shows why X-Files worked so well in the early '90s. It was a time of great optimism in the West, so it made a lot of sense to turn inward and go 'what if your own government is the enemy?' Not really a novel concept now, but in this episode it sets up a good dynamic between the protagonists and a government/deep state that isn't wholesale nefarious but still up to some pretty shady shit. This episode also introduces Deep Throat, one of the best supporting characters in the series.

S1.E3 - Squeeze: 9/10

After the first real conspiracy episode, it's the first proper monster-of-the-week episode. Apparently it was written as a proof-of-concept to demonstrate that the show could tell a good story without aliens. And a great success it was because it's this type of episode where the series would truly shine. It basically provides the blueprint for what makes a good X-File: an antagonist that defies the law of nature but not to such an extent that it becomes incredulous; they are then explored across the episode, revealing more information to increase the intrigue, but also never really getting to the bottom of what the monster truly is and how it came to be.

S1.E4 - Conduit: 7/10

An okay episode that brings the series back to the alien theme. This is more of a standalone episode than the first 2 episodes of the season, but it still delves into some plot-relevant topics, particularly the story of Mulder's missing sister. The episode's main plot concerns an abducted girl otherwise unrelated to the main characters. This narrative isn't particularly memorable, but the way in which the contact between humans and aliens is brought to life artistically has some merit to it.

S1.E5 - Jersey Devil: 6/10

Another okay episode, a proper monster-of-the-week one this time. The pacing is on point, as is the growing dynamic between Mulder and Scully. With the 'monsters' being little more than uncivilized humans, this is the first X-Files episode with no discernible paranormal element to it and, as such, lacks the mystery and wonder that makes the show so captivating. Having an ex from New Jersey, I also cannot forgive this episode for making the Jersey Devil so mundane. The real-life myth depicts the cryptoid as a vampiric man-bat of sorts, instead of a caveman.

S1.E6 - Shadows: 7/10

Quite a fun episode that presents a more traditional ghost story. In typical X-Files fashion, they wrap the poltergeist plot into assorted pseudoscience and a plot involving shady business deals. Some of the special effects are by now rather dated, but overall it's an enjoyable watch.

S1.E7 - Ghost in the Machine: 8/10

This is widely touted as one of the worst episodes of the early seasons due to it being dated. The story concerns a rogue AI in the form of a corporate building's central operating system that has resorted to killing people through boobytraps in order to preserve itself. The central conflict is between Mulder & Scully who want to destroy the machine, and the Defense department who want to preserve it for no-doubt nefarious purposes. And yes, it is dated, but that early '90s, (kinda) pre-internet understanding of computers and AI is also part of its charm. As such, it is a worthwhile watch given a healthy dose of suspend disbelief.

S1.E8 - Ice: 8/10

Pretty much every website out there can't wait to tell you that this is what the industry calls a 'bottle episode.' Be that as it may, the limited amount of sets is, if anything, a boon to this episode, as it contributes to the claustrophobic, paranoid nature of the story. The plot itself is an entertaining enough 'oh my God, who is infected'-type plotline with a few twists and turns along the way. Also, the dog is okay in the end, which is worth something, seeing as film/television makers usually have an incredible passion for killing off animals at their earliest convenience.

S1.E9 - Space: 6/10

Honestly quite a boring episode. For some reason I used to like this one quite a bit, but now I can't really discern why. Perhaps it had to do with the concept of the face on Mars actually being a scary ghost, but the overall story just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's not even clear what the antagonist is. One thing that is fun about this episode is the role reversal between the protagonists, where Mulder is the one who goes along with the 'official' story, while Scully thinks there is a conspiracy at play. It's debatable whether the whole connection to the Challenger Disaster was in good taste, but this is the pre-9/11 era, so there were fewer 'you can't joke about that' topics in general. Another fun detail about this episode is that it was apparently intended to be another bottle episode, but the control center set turned out to be so expensive that this ended up being the most expensive episode of the first season.

S1.E10 - Fallen Angel: 6/10

A run-of-the-mill alien episode that features many of the usual ingredients: a government cover-up; the threat of the X-Files being closed; a hostile government official as the antagonist who, as the episode progresses, ends up paying the price for his stubbornness. A formulaic exercise that doesn't have much of an impact on the overarching story beyond introducing the phrase "trust no one."

S1.E11 - Eve: 5/10

Another mediocre episode, and one that's responsible for some of season 1's cringier moments. The basic plot is similar to the Boys From Brazil, centering around 2 girls, who turn out to be clones, conspiring to kill their fathers. These 'twins' then spend the majority of the episode fooling everyone around them before eventually getting found out by Mulder and Scully. In addition to the plot being derivative and predictable by itself, the girls who play the twin sisters just aren't good actresses. This leads to poor delivery of already lazily written dialogue, which renders many of the 'creepy' moments in this episode somewhere between grating and unintentionally comedic.

S1.E12 - Fire: 7/10

Season 1 is recovering from its slomp with this fun episode. It's interesting in concept as it plays out like a murder mystery, but you, the viewer, know who the bad guy is from the start. Instead, the intrigue plays out to finding out a bit more about why he commits these crimes (those crimes being setting fire to aristocratic British men), and how. In typical X-Files fashion, we do not get all the answers we want, and some modicum of mystery is preserved in the open-endedness of the plot. The episode could've done without the contrived subplot about Mulder re-acquainting himself with an old flame (haha get it), but otherwise it's an entertaining 45 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Currently, I'm on my third rewatch of The X-Files. It's a show I've loved since childhood, and one that I believe has held up remarkably well whilst also being a distinct product from the '90s. The previous time I decided to rewatch the series, I remember toying with the idea of writing a short blurb on every episode to share my thoughts. In the end, I was too lazy to do such, and it was also a bit impractical since I still watched everything on a good ol' DVD player.

This time around, I'm watching the series on my PC, so it's no effort to open a text document after every episode to type up my thoughts in 5 or so minutes. Up until now, I've only shared these blurbs on my Discord server, to a presumed audience of 1 (myself). But seeing as we have a TV forum here, I figured I'd might as well share them here as well. I've already finished watching the first season, so I'll be posting the reviews for those episodes, plus a short season recap, on here.

Now a few short, important notes:

• While the primary purpose of this is just my own entertainment, I try my best to write these blurbs without giving away big spoilers about the episodes or the overarching story, so that it may also be used as an episode guide by people who maybe want to give this series a shot without necessarily starting from scratch. If there are major spoilers in the blurb, I will indicate such.
  • For brevity's sake, I will limit each episode's review to just 1 paragraph. This also applies to the season recap.
  • I will assign each episode with a score of 1-10 in case you don't like reading.
  • It is important to know that each episode of The X-Files fits one of two categories: Monster-Of-The-Week episodes are episodes that tell a one-off, self-contained story that is often resolved by the end of their 45 min. running time. Conspiracy episodes tell an overarching story that delves deeper into the series' lore. At the end of each season, I will pick my favorite episode in each category.
  • While I say I have watched the series twice already, I never got further in than Season 7. This time I intend to watch all 9 initial seasons, as well as Seasons 10 and 11, which were released in more recent years.
  • Feel free to comment or discuss. It's no problem to 'break' the flow of the topic as it's always nice to know if someone is reading these.

TNA47-Schulman-X-Files1.jpg

I have just recently started watching them again.... On the second season now... 

• Subscriber

Geez, now that's a proper time machine... I didn't even know there were seasons 10 and 11. Used to watch this in the 90s, but I don't think I ever watched all of it... Will be reading this with interest!

...Continued dump from Season 1:

S1.E13 - Beyond the Sea: 8/10

The episode where Scully's dad dies. Don't worry, this isn't a spoiler because it happens within a minute of him being introduced to the audience. Despite this sudden plot development seeming abrupt, it serves as the springboard for an interesting story that sees a rare (but not unique) reversal of the series' usual dynamic, with Fox Mulder being the skeptic and Dana Scully willing to accept a paranormal explanation. A serial killer tries to ward off his imminent execution by offering detailed information on the whereabouts of two kidnapped students. While the inmate attributes his knowledge to newfound psychic powers, Mulder instead believes he is a co-conspirator in the crime, but Scully is not so sure. A fascinating tale about the sacrifices we must make to do the right thing, and one of the better episodes when it comes to letting the viewer decide whether or not they want to believe.

S1.E14 - Gender Bender: 7/10

This one has some pretty weird, dated stuff in it, including clunky (and unnecessary) CGI and a nerdy screenwriter's perception of what dance music is. Still, the mystery at the heart of this episode is captivating enough to carry the plot. Also, the sequences at the cult's ranch rank among the creepier moments of Season 1. Not sure if the big reveal at the end was the payoff I was looking for, but I guess they were intent on sticking with familiar themes.

S1.E15 - Lazarus: 8/10

An unsettling episode where a dead criminal's consciousness returns to live again in the body of a resuscitated FBI agent. The kidnapping arc is a bit typical, but given that it's the first time it happens, it doesn't feel as tired as in later seasons. The whole thing is spiced up by some extra elements such as Jack's medical condition, the twist with Lula, and the tighter bond between Mulder and Scully. As a result, 'Lazarus' continues the reasonably strong streak of the past few episodes.

S1.E16 - Young At Heart: 7/10

Another sufficiently creepy tale where a convicted murderer, believed to have died years ago, suddenly re-emerges to taunt Fox Mulder. There's some memorable stuff here, such as the eerie opening scene, as well as the mystery surrounding the killer's reappearance. The parts with the bad guy trying to intimidate Mulder over the phone with evil laughter and claims of his superior intellect are a bit too cliché to be taken seriously, but the episode is satisfactory enough. Finally, the open ending was well-executed as well, although I don't believe the writers ever came back to this episode.

S1.E17 - E.B.E.: 9/10

Easily the best 'conspiracy' episode so far in Season 1. The storytelling is very clever in that it conveys to the audience that not everything in the series is as it seems, and even if you "want to believe", it's not a good idea to, as Mulder says, jump to the easiest conclusion and walk away. In fact, it is subtly left open to interpretation whether what transpires near the end of the episode is the truth, or yet another dead end. Other perks of this episode are the different dynamic that emerges when Mulder and Scully are largely on the same page, as well as the exposition on the identity and motivation of Mulder's mysterious informant.

S1.E18 - Miracle Man: 6/10

A story that's neither here nor there. Following a miracle healer through an X-Files lens is an interesting concept, but the whole plot quickly devolves into a boring murder mystery that isn't really a mystery, nor makes a whole lot of sense, with many moments of 'are the miracles real or not' sprinkled inbetween. Not terrible as much as entirely forgettable.

S1.E19 - Shapes: 8/10

One of the more underrated episodes of the series' early stage. It's pretty obvious from the get-go that there's a lycanthrope/shapeshifter theme going on, which Mulder & Scully then slowly uncover, so in itself it is not an episode clad with mystery. Even the final of this episode's arc is rather predictable. However, the intrigue of this episode comes not from surprise twists, but from the exposition regarding the case's history and its relation to Native American folklore. What makes it truly memorable is the beautiful Cascadian scenery, making for a gloomy, aesthetically pleasing episode in what by now could be considered traditional X-Files fashion.

S1.E20 - Darkness Falls: 10/10

Much like Shapes, Darkness Falls is carried in part by the beautiful scenery, which the story sets in Washington state, but was shot in the adjacent Canadian province British Columbia. In addition to the impressive backdrop, this episode also contains all the ingredients for great X-Files episode: mysticism, suspense, open-endedness and real ethical implications. Yet where a lot of the series ethics concern the role of the (federal) government, Darkness Falls tells the story of a plague of killer insects caused by illegal logging. It's a tale of environmentalism told through a narrative of escalating, claustrophobic horror that is in some ways reminiscent of the season's earlier episode Ice. Dated special effects aside, this makes for a quintessential X-Files episode, and probably the high water mark of season 1.

S1.E21 - Tooms: 8/10

A notable entry for several reasons. For starters, it's the first time a 'monster-of-the-week' villain returns for a round two with Mulder and Scully, a feat that would rarely be repeated across the 11 seasons of the X-Files. Secondly, it features the debut of FBI Assistant Director Walter Skinner, who would go on to become the character with the most episodes to his name besides the protagonists. Last but not least, it's the first time that the Cigarette Smoking Man speaks. Apparently actor William B. Davis had originally been cast as a mere extra for the series, and the producers were unsure whether he could carry the weight of a more significant part. Davis quickly proved his merit, going on to become the main antagonist in the series all the way up to the final season (although the actor himself jokingly says he is the real hero of the show). As for the episode itself, it is a direct sequel to the amazing Squeeze episode from earlier in the season, though with the mystery largely solved by now, there is not as much suspense to the case as there was the first time around. Despite that, it's still a satisfactory end to the Tooms arc, while, as said, it also introduces some of the pillars upon which much of the series would be built.

S1.E22 - Born Again: 6/10

Born Again starts out strong by not revealing the mystery to the viewer right from the start. Sadly, the more we learn about what is really going on with police officers seemingly dying randomly, the more this episode starts to resemble the plot of Shades, just with a few hints of another episode, Eve, thrown in. This results in the plot following a predictable path from the halfway point onwards. And with no one to really root for, the stakes couldn't be lower as this episode starts to fizzle out. The final plot twist comes too late to save it.

S1.E23 - Roland: 4/10

An exceedingly weak episode, and one that, more than most others, shows the datedness of the show. The multiple mentally challenged characters do remind of a certain quote from Tropic Thunder, and the plot itself is derivative of earlier episodes, including the one right before it, offering yet another spin on reincarnation. What makes it actively bad, though, is the out-of-place villain speech near the end, which sounded like it was accidentally copied from an old Scooby Doo script. 

S1.E24 - The Erlenmeyer Flask: 9/10

Season 1's finale is a testament to how riveting the early 'conspiracy' episodes could be. Where this story arc would eventually devolve into increasingly convoluted and implausible twists, turns and retcons, this episode provides the right balance of suspense, intrigue and mystery, giving the audience enough nuggets of lore without damaging the overall sense of wonder that emanates from all those things we don't yet know.

5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I have just recently started watching them again.... On the second season now... 

Yep, currently on the first episode of Season 2. I remember seasons 2-5 being the strongest, so I'm really looking forward to it.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Geez, now that's a proper time machine... I didn't even know there were seasons 10 and 11. Used to watch this in the 90s, but I don't think I ever watched all of it... Will be reading this with interest!

I was reminded of a random X-Files clip on Twitter, making me go down a rabbit hole and ending up getting the whole DVD set. It's kind of a trip for me too, as I latently remember a lot of scenes, images and pieces of dialogue that I didn't even realize were out of X-Files.

Season 1 recap

The first season of The X-Files is largely as I remembered it. While I normally favor the Monster-Of-The-Week episodes over the overarching story of the Conspiracy episodes, the latter are the strongest aspect of Season 1. The ideas for this arc were still fresh and exciting, and the writers seemed to have a clear idea of where they were going to take the story. On the flipside, the Monster-Of-The-Week entries are hit or miss, trying out various themes and ideas to see what would stick. A possible factor in their inconsistency was the influence of the network, who would reportedly pressure the writers in covering certain themes. Presumably, this gave the creators only so much leeway to explore more unique, mystical topics without also covering familiar paranormal tropes, such as ghosts and werewolves. On the whole, though, this first season is an enjoyable one, taking the concept of the government as our enemy and marrying it with that unique early '90s gloom. Shot in the Vancouver area in British Columbia, Canada, some of the settings are absolutely stunning, with the rainy, overcast Pacific Northwest complimenting the show's aesthetic and mystique, similar to how Twin Peaks was empowered by its Washington state setting.

Favorite Season 1 Conspiracy episode: The Erlenmeyer Flask
Favorite Season 1 Monster-Of-The-Week episode: Darkness Falls

I've decided to create a new post for every 4 episodes (which makes up 1 DVD from the boxset I have), as to not spam this forum too much with constant updates.

S2.E1 - Little Green Men: 7/10

Part of this season's opener deals with cleaning up the debris from The Erlenmeyer Flask, while another part sets up what feels like a subplot with Mulder's trip to Puerto Rico (which is apparently rife with pine trees in the X-Files universe). The plot grants us the usual vague hints at alien life without giving away anything too explicit, and after the high of Season 1's finale, this entry's main purpose appears to be giving Mulder something to do without any active X-Files. It has some interesting moments, but it's ultimately just a bridge between seasons to justify the arc's continuation.

S2.E2 - The Host: 9/10

What Squeeze was to Season 1, The Host is to Season 2. A quintessential Monster-Of-The-Week episode that introduces the disgusting Flukeman, a mutated hybrid between a man and a worm that looks about as disgusting as it sounds. The suspense and mystery are right on point, and in addition to augmenting the viewer's fear of creepy things emerging from their toilet, it also deals with that age-old question: would you still love me if I were a worm? The answer to which is a resounding NO.

S2.E3 - Blood: 7/10

A fun episode about electronic devices giving subliminal messages to people, driving them to commit acts of mass murder. There's a few extra layers in the form of a government conspiracy and people's phobias taking control of them. All things considered, it's a pretty regular Monster-Of-The-Week episode with no major twists or tuns to render it particularly memorable.

S2.E4 - Sleepless: 8/10

This episode is about a secret military experiment to rid Vietnam War-era soldiers of their need for sleep. Now, 24 years later, that legacy has come back to haunt all those involved. On the surface, it's a straightforward story about the mess man creates when trying to tinker with God's creation, but the introduction of several key characters raises this entry's significance. However, the biggest highlight here is the performance of Tony Todd (of Candyman fame), who once again proves his penchant for playing tragic villains who were themselves created by the injustice inflicted upon them.

S2.E5 - Duane Barry: 7/10

The first entry in an arc that covers for actress Gillian Anderson's pregnancy by temporarily giving her character Dana Scully less screen time. As such, this episode is largely carried by the acting from David Duchovny and guest star Steve Railsback. This leads to some tense moments, but with hostage situations having been done so many times in law enforcement dramas, this episode is less appealing than the one that follows it.

S2.E6 - Ascension: 8/10

A direct continuation of Duane Barry's story. This time, the claimed alien abductee is on the run while doing a little abducting of his own, pursued by law enforcement, and of course by Fox Mulder. The whole chase scene with the air tram and Alex Krycek's meddling is the highlight of the episode and makes it stand out more than the start of Duane Barry's arc. 

S2.E7 - 3: 6/10

With Scully temporarily out of the picture, it's up to Mulder to carry this vampire-themed episode. Equipped with his usual wit and aided by the romantic chemistry with guest star Perrey Reeves (who was, unsurprisingly, Duchovny's actual girlfriend at the time), the episode is off to a decent enough start. As a character, Fox Mulder has enough charisma and depth to fly solo for a while, but he is unfortunately let down by a boring script that somehow manages to be convoluted and shallow at the same time. The mystery at the heart of this story is not compelling enough to be drawn out over 45 minutes, and there are too few moments of suspense (apart from the sexual tension between Mulder and mystery woman Kristen Kilar) to keep the engine running for the episode's duration. One fun fact about this episode is that it appears to have enraged fans at the time for showing Mulder sleeping with another woman. As someone who has always found the romance between Mulder and Scully little more than boring fan service, I could appreciate this aspect, but it's not enough lift 3 up from mediocrity.

S2.E8 - One Breath: 8/10

The conclusion to Scully's arc started in Duane Barry and continued in Ascension. Out of these episodes, One Breath emerges as the strongest. It features Duchovny's most emotional acting up to this point in the series, and it also marks the first time William B. Davis really gives color to his role as the Cigarette Smoking Man, dropping such iconic lines as "I've seen presidents die." Another stand-out performance is given by Steven Williams as Mr. X, whose actions foreshadow the increasingly darker tone of the Conspiracy episodes in coming seasons. Finally, it also features Scully's iconic dream-like sequences, showcasing The X-Files' colorful cinematography. It's a complete package for a solid Conspiracy episode, although it does already show hints of this storyline getting increasingly convoluted as the seasons pass, with many a shady figure in an overcoat conspiring against other shady figures in overcoats.

On 06/02/2023 at 19:35, DeadLinesman said:

You’ve made me want to rewatch this glorious programme with you.

How unusual.. sees something someone else does then copies them... :ph34r:

Just finished season 2 on a cliffhanger and all I can say is that after everything she has gone through I am shocked Scully has not quit the FBI yet!! xD

10 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Just finished season 2 on a cliffhanger and all I can say is that after everything she has gone through I am shocked Scully has not quit the FBI yet!! xD

This is my usual gripe with any law enforcement show (although it feels a bit weird describing X-Files like that). After a few seasons, if you look back at all the trauma they've accrued, there's enough to give them PTSD 20 times over. Especially when an episode includes the 'the bad guy goes after the protagonist' trope, I often just dock a full point off the score. It's the same with shows like Law & Order and Criminal Minds. They get tortured, beaten, nearly raped, brought to the brink of death, forced to play Russian roulette w/e a few times per season. I don't think you'd even be allowed to work if that happened in real life.

It's only with series like Breaking Bad that writers finally started considering the traumatic impact of violent events on people.

On 06/02/2023 at 20:35, DeadLinesman said:

You’ve made me want to rewatch this glorious programme with you.

It's a date then. :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Panflute said:

This is my usual gripe with any law enforcement show (although it feels a bit weird describing X-Files like that). After a few seasons, if you look back at all the trauma they've accrued, there's enough to give them PTSD 20 times over. Especially when an episode includes the 'the bad guy goes after the protagonist' trope, I often just dock a full point off the score. It's the same with shows like Law & Order and Criminal Minds. They get tortured, beaten, nearly raped, brought to the brink of death, forced to play Russian roulette w/e a few times per season. I don't think you'd even be allowed to work if that happened in real life.

It's only with series like Breaking Bad that writers finally started considering the traumatic impact of violent events on people.

It's a date then. :ph34r:

The Missus and me used to watch this every Sunday night once we had the kids settled, it was the highlight of the tv week for us back then... Also the fact they had great chemistry between them that still shines through now.. I have seen a lot of shows that tried that type of combo and failed simply because the connection seemed forced.. 

16 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

I won’t be spending £500milion this summer mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the ol' DVD player working again.

SE2.E9 - Firewalker: 6/10

Depending on the generation in which you were born, you might associate the title of this episode with either that perpetual poem from Twin Peaks or arguably the lousiest DLC from Mass Effect 2. And that's exactly the impression this episode leaves behind, as it's both repetitive (being mostly an inferior re-imagining of the lauded Season 1 episode Ice) and, well, lousy. At the start of the episode, the plot sets up some mystery and excitement, but it quickly devolves into a quarantine situation like we've already seen in the aforementioned episode Ice, while also borrowing elements from the equally superior Season 1 entry Darkness Falls. It's the good acting and gracefully aged special effects that prevent this episode from being a total dud, but it is otherwise quite forgettable.

SE2.E10 - Red Museum: 8/10

Red Museum represents what a Conspiracy episode should ideally be: a largely self-contained plot that in some (surprising) ways ties into the series' overarching mythology. This season's third episode, Blood, already had a decent stab at this concept, but Red Museum is more clever in spicing up the mystery at the heart of the plot with a few sprinkles of government conspiracy. The tension between the townsfolk and the episode's eponymous cult is the foundation of the story arc, with the subplots surrounding it giving it some extra color.

SE2.E11 - Excelsis Dei: 7/10

Quite a mixed bag of an entry. On one hand, it excels in its original topic material and ability to reveal its secrets in a slow burn across the episode. On the other, it contains a handful of scenes that some might consider dodgy, such as the opening scene (containing a 'ghost rape', for lack of a better term) and a number of segments that feature by now dated special effects to represent apparitions. This episode's conclusion leaves the viewer not wholly satisfied, but it might give them a few things to think about, which lifts Excelsis Dei slightly above mediocrity.

SE2.E12 - Aubrey: 7/10

Touching upon the topic of genetic memory, Aubrey offers a slight twist on previous episodes that we have seen which contained rather straightforward takes on concepts such as reincarnation and possession. This saves this entry from feeling completely stale, but it's not certified fresh either. Aided further by some solid acting, Aubrey fits in with a large portion of Season 2 episodes that are enjoyable as you watch them, but lack sufficient impact to be remembered long after the fact.

Archived