talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2023 F1 Pre-season testing and your season expectations?

football forum

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Mercedes looks a handful but still in the top three. Red Bull most comfortable, Ferrari close perhaps under the right conditions but not consistently. Aston Martin the class of the midfield. Haas and Alfa Romeo looking solid. Mclaren appear to have built a bit of a dog. No idea about the Alpine or Alpha Tauri and assume the Williams is still the slowest or thereabouts. This is what I can glean from watching some testing, listening to the analysis and reading up on the underlying data and "in the know" stuff on Twitter. It can all change before the first race and during the first few rounds. It didn't take long last season for Mercedes to go from midfield to top three and for McLaren and Aston Martin to drag themselves from Q1 to the upper midfield ahead of the likes of Haas and Alfa Romeo.

Overall I think Aston going up and Mclaren going down are going to be the key initial changes to the pecking order.

Really hoping to see more from Sainz this year. He doesn't have Leclerc's pace but I do think he's a more complete driver in a sense, especially when it comes to taking initiative and being on top of things. Which can be very useful in an environment like Ferrari.

Alonso scoring some podiums with Aston Martin would also be mega.

Aston Martin will probably make a leap but I don't think they'll be competing with Mercedes/Ferrari over an entire season. They just need to capitalize on their good performance early in the season before things stabilize. Kind of like Haas tried to do last year.

39 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

They've just built a crap car this season by the looks of it.

I just mean they have declined every year for the past few ones.

2022:5th
21: 4th
20: 3rd

And now you have them on par with Williams...

• Subscriber
45 minutes ago, Eco said:

I just mean they have declined every year for the past few ones.

2022:5th
21: 4th
20: 3rd

And now you have them on par with Williams...

Yeah they looked like they were really coming along under Zak Brown, peaking with that 3rd place in 2020 when Ferrari had issues with the engine regulations and dropped back to the midfield.

They built a dog last season for the new regulations and 5th flattered them really. It was more about Norris' consistency than them building a much better car. With their resources they should really be ahead of everyone apart from the big three by default but F1 isn't Mclaren's sole focus anymore. They seem happy to be about 4th in the WCC and sell sportscars and put in token entries to a load of other motorsports series to boost their brand. Shame really as it's one of the teams that should be capable of preventing domination at the front by being in the mix.

They will develop their way out of being knocked out in Q1 again this season but they should be capable of so much more.

Archived