talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jesse Marsch Sacked By Leeds; Javi Gracia to Take Over

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weren't Leeds in the relegation zone when he took over and conceding two and a half goals a game? If that's true to be fair they aren't really doing any worse. I'm not saying he's a good manager but it's not like he has taken a mid table side and turned them into relegation contenders 

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Weren't Leeds in the relegation zone when he took over and conceding two and a half goals a game? If that's true to be fair they aren't really doing any worse. I'm not saying he's a good manager but it's not like he has taken a mid table side and turned them into relegation contenders 

17th when he took over.

He might not have made them worse (debatable) but he's not made them better either...

Seemed like a nice guy but even aside from how they were doing on the pitch, he sounded like was making a constant marketing pitch with no actual connection to what was actually happening. He'd be great if you want him to make a presentation to sell your product, he's eloquent and well spoken but hearing his interviews, he just sounded out of touch. Stating that they weren't in a relegation battle was just utterly bizarre.

Seems like they've either been rejected by their main targets or had their clubs reject them. Be interesting to see where they go.

Growing rumours that Steven Gerrard with Leeds legend Gary McAllister his assistant is a possibility. Apparently 3 targets have decided they're happy where they are.

He did do well at New Rangers. Did badly at Villa.

For me, he made a load of bad decisions & had no elaborate ideas on tactics. I think he was seeing the obvious, but lacked the insight to see the underrated players, the better approaches that were possible. McGinn is no more an undroppable key player & captain for Villa than McTominay is for Man United. But media all say Mings was wrong. If he's followed Villa at all since, he may have learned from that.

I'd still imagine Leeds will find someone less high profile than Gerrard though, and all the circus that will accompany him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Jesse Marsch Sacked By Leeds; Javi Gracia to Take Over

They've dropped their arses because they fear Saturday's home game v Southampton will become hostile, which it probably would have done after Everton.

I still think the board will get some their way but there's no doubt it'll be dampend by a new manager being in. They knew they had to act but it's been left way too late now. Wasted far too many winnable games go by.

Look, I can't say the appointment massively excites me but equally, when you are 19th and looking for someone to do a job to the end of the season with no promise of a longer contract, you're pretty stuffed for options. If we'd not left it so late to pull the trigger on Marsch, we'd not be in this position. I think Rafa Benitez chucked his hat into the ring late and if I had to pick either, Benitez would have been my choice simply based on his tactical side and how he'd set us up, but it's Gracia they have gone for till June. Fair enough.

Based on what he did at Watford, he gave them their best season in 2018-19, finishing 11th and getting then to the FA Cup final so can't knock that too much, I just think we've left things too late.

His win percentage at Watford works out at roughly 38%, which if repeated with us over the next 15 games gives us roughly 5 wins. That doesn't include the odd draw here or there but if we said two for now, that's roughly 17 points and could take us around the 36pt mark.

I'm not sure that's going to guarantee survival this year, I really think we've blown it to tell you the truth, but no blame attacked to Gracia, for me he has a free shot at it now.

I just hope the players show enough fight to at least go down with a bit of honor. But there's no way the board are getting away with it this time. They'll get both barrells if/when relegation happens.

The board have worn out their welcome now, unfortunately.  Orta is just baiting the fans at matches and Radz is baiting them on Twitter.  Face it fellas, you've done all you can with the resources you have and you need to turn it over to some big guns now.

If the club goes down they need to finalize the 49ers deal and gtfo so that the club have a clean slate to bounce back (hopefully).

3 hours ago, Devil said:

Had nearly 14 jobs since 2007..........

If I was a Leeds fan I'd be absolutely disgusted in his appointment. 

Disappointed maybe, I wouldn't say disgusted because it's not fair on him and as a fan, you have to accept the position you are in as to whose available. Choices were very, very slim as things stand.

But the board can get to fuck. They have dug a massive hole for us now and this appointment is a total reflection on their decision making over the past year or so.

We had three top targets who all turned us down because we left it too late to act with Marsch.

Real Vallecano's boss, Andoni Iraola was the number one choice, who is a Bielsa disciple, and has his team just outside Champions League. He gave his word to Vallecano he'd stay till the end of the season, despite us willing to match Vallecano's buy out clause.

Marcelo Gallardo, extremely talented former River Plate boss who would have been a great capture for us, but he is insistant he doesn't start any job mid-season.

And finally Arne Slot, who has Feyenoord top of the league in Holland and vowed to stay with them.

The board believed they were getting one of those but clearly didn't do their homework.

So we either nailed our colours to the mast and go for someone like Nuno Santo, solid enough, who'd be willing to come as long as we gave him a longer contract which we wouldn't do, or, if we want the short term approach, we have to take what we can get whose willing to work for 4 months and save us knowing they may or may not be kept on beyond this season.

You tell me how many contenders you are going to find that will agree to that apart from the likes Big Sam waving two hands in the air. Very few. They could have probably had Dyche till the end of the season if they sacked Marsch earlier but it's irrelevant now.

I completely agree, it's not the name we wanted, no way. But the board have totally fucked up the whole process thinking they would get one of their top targets, and then thinking they could get by using the assistant, before finally realising "Oh fuck, we are going down unless we get a proper experienced guy in but we will also wait for our first choices to become available if we stay up".

Cluster fuck. And it's on their heads this.

Anyway, Gracia has my blessing. Poor bloke is walking into the lion's den in what will be a very angry Elland Road Saturday and he's 15 games to save us, where we are going to need at least 6 wins to stay up IMO.

Not asking much. 

• Subscriber

I can't even remember whether Gracia was a disaster at Watford. Was he the one who replaced Silva and initially took them on a good run before collapsing? It's not an appointment that strikes fear into my heart as a relegation rival but you never know how these things will go. The delay between Marsch getting sacked and this appointment does smell like a club that don't really know what their plan is.

Definitely not a good look for whoever is running Leeds United. Yes, there has been investment in the squad & some of them look good. But so much is obviously wrong. Getting rid of the manager so late. Supposedly not able to attract so many options. Allegedly backing off from appointing someone who had taken Ajax down to 5th, or some similar story, because it didn't get a good reaction (..??) Considering that option in the 1st place.

I suppose it confirms we are moving on from the days of Steve Bruce, Big Sam, Claudio Ranieri & Roy Hodgson.

On 21/02/2023 at 20:59, RandoEFC said:

I can't even remember whether Gracia was a disaster at Watford. Was he the one who replaced Silva and initially took them on a good run before collapsing? It's not an appointment that strikes fear into my heart as a relegation rival but you never know how these things will go. The delay between Marsch getting sacked and this appointment does smell like a club that don't really know what their plan is.

Finished 11th and got to the FA Cup final in his first and only full season. Sacked 4 games into the next season in true Watford style.

Archived