Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Chester Bennington (Lead Singer from Linkin Park) Passes Away

football forum

Breaking news.

Chester Bennington, lead singer of the popular American nu-metal band Linkin Park has passed away at the age of 41. Police arrived at a private residence this morning and found the father of six. Reports coming through are suggesting that the cause of death was hanging and is probably related to the suicide of fellow music legend Chris Cornell who passed away earlier this year and would have celebrated his 53rd birthday today. 

RIP. 

Gutted just saw it... 41 years old. The last album wasn't good at all but the guy had a really cool voice with all their other albums. Bleed it out will forever be a favorite of mine.

So sad, one of the most memorable bands of my generation. Everyone love Linkin Park. RIP, condolences to his family.

Just saw this a bit ago. Really like them when I was a pre-teen.

• Upvote 1

Edited by Spike

This is shocked me to the core. Grew up listening to them and they opened up the proverbial music doors for the kind of music I listen to now.

Amazing band and I loved listening to his voice in all songs. 

I can't believe it :(. Heartbreaking news to come home to. 

RIP. 

9 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

In the end I guess his 6 children didn't even matter? 

You have a go at being a well-rounded person after being molested for six years and being divorced twice.

I actually had tickets to see them here in Vancouver. Sad news, i figured it was my last shot to see them. RIP hopefully he found the peace he was after. 

What the fuck? That is truly shocking. Grew up with them and still like a few of their songs. What a shame. RIP. 

Shit. Didn't know about this until I came onto TF. As with every death it's sad. As well as Linkin Park he fronted the Stone Temple Pilots for a while and it brought them back imo. RIP.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

You have a go at being a well-rounded person after being molested for six years and being divorced twice.

Missed the song titles? 

In all seriousness, I'd say it's probably got far more to do with drink & drugs into your 40's. Plenty of people who've lived through trauma greater than him with a lot harder lives to live and they've not given in. It's always tragic when someone takes their own life, but let's not pretend it isn't cowardly and selfish. I personally don't have time for those abandoning their children in this manner, I think it's a destructive act with selfish motives that fails to consider the damage that it does to those around you. Specifically in this case his children, it's a betrayal of his responsibility to them as a parent, I have literally lost all sympathy because of that. 

Depression is a horrible destructive thing but we should never normalise giving up the gift of life. No matter how low you feel or how worthless you seem, as a humans we overcome and move forward. Anything else is lesser than and not worthy of respect, I was a Soundgarden fan to, I still am but Cornell was a cunt bugging out that way to. 

34 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

In the end I guess his 6 children didn't even matter? 

Of course they did, and so did everything. Feeling suicidal tends to make you look away from the consequences and all things that matter tend to be pushed aside. It's a feeling of desperation, desperation to break away. Whatever the catalyst it feels inescapable and you begin to doubt everything, how you are perceived or the impact you've had. You're forced to put on a brave face or people will begin to question, point fingers and try to help but if anything it doesn't at all: it makes it worse. It takes a lot to confront your fears but when you're depressed you see no other way out, no other option to make things better. Whether or not Chris Cornell's suicide was the catalyst in Chester's suicide is up for debate but whatever the cause it was enough to push him over the edge.

28 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

This is chilling now. 

so many lyrics and songs, especially the last album, seem to have come to fruition now. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

Yeah, I'm having a Linkin Park session tonight and so many of the songs are now incredibly chilling. Some of them quite literally sound like prophecies now?

same.

it's either about regretting what you may have done and escaping what you've been through or escaping what you're going through when you really and properly listen to the lyrics. 

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Missed the song titles? 

In all seriousness, I'd say it's probably got far more to do with drink & drugs into your 40's. Plenty of people who've lived through trauma greater than him with a lot harder lives to live and they've not given in. It's always tragic when someone takes their own life, but let's not pretend it isn't cowardly and selfish. I personally don't have time for those abandoning their children in this manner, I think it's a destructive act with selfish motives that fails to consider the damage that it does to those around you. Specifically in this case his children, it's a betrayal of his responsibility to them as a parent, I have literally lost all sympathy because of that. 

Depression is a horrible destructive thing but we should never normalise giving up the gift of life. No matter how low you feel or how worthless you seem, as a humans we overcome and move forward. Anything else is lesser than and not worthy of respect, I was a Soundgarden fan to, I still am but Cornell was a cunt bugging out that way to. 

And if it's physical pain instead of mental? How do you feel about euthanasia? They're cowardly and selfish cunts as well?

^ That reminds me of a quote from the Cloud Atlas book. 

“People pontificate, "Suicide is selfishness." Career churchmen like Pater go a step further and call in a cowardly assault on the living. Oafs argue this specious line for varying reason: to evade fingers of blame, to impress one's audience with one's mental fiber, to vent anger, or just because one lacks the necessary suffering to sympathize. Cowardice is nothing to do with it - suicide takes considerable courage. Japanese have the right idea. No, what's selfish is to demand another to endure an intolerable existence, just to spare families, friends, and enemies a bit of soul-searching.”

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

^ That reminds me of a quote from the Cloud Atlas book. 

I'm not sure it's either, the Japanese view is bonkers in my opinion.

I think we should view it as a pure and simple disaster/tragedy. It's neither cowardly or courageous, it is simply an action people take when they are often desperately ill, it's the act of a deranged mind. 

• Upvote 2

I remember so many people wore Linkin Park hoodies back in the early 00s.

"Meteora" is the album of my teenage years. Really sad to know about this. 

Rest in peace, Chester.

Very sad indeed. As many here, I grew up alongside this band and I always like their stuff. He was an amazing singer, its a real shame he decided to bow out like this. Rip.

Growing up they were massive, even people that weren't massive fans of Rock would listen to Linkin Park. During that time no one came close to capturing the feeling of angst like Linkin Park. Obviously there was reality attached to that angst which is why so many people could relate but probably also a sign that suicidal thoughts were always lingering in his head.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not sure it's either, the Japanese view is bonkers in my opinion.

I think we should view it as a pure and simple disaster/tragedy. It's neither cowardly or courageous, it is simply an action people take when they are often desperately ill, it's the act of a deranged mind. 

This 100%. People tend to stick towards the simple good v evil dichotomy. Sometimes something isn't a bad thing nor is it a good thing, it is just a thing.  There is no bravery,  there is no cowardice; just simply an end result of various emotional, physical, and chemical stimuli. 

For my own definition, bravery would be triumphing over adversity and becoming a stronger man, cowardice would be giving in and wallowing in sadness and pity without the strength to pull out of it, continuing in the inertia of existence. Suicide is simply termination before either result.

Sad. Sad for his family and 6 children.

LP were one of the bands who inspired me to start playing music and broadened my music taste in a time where I wasn't into rock or metal at all. A large parte of my early adolescence.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Of course you would say that though, your mind is at ease. You haven't got depression. 

You can't judge a person's actions when you're not standing in their shoes. Everyone is different and what one person can brush off may cripple another. 

Standing in someone else's shoes is a weak concept. For instance I cannot understand how'd react to certain stimuli, and you the same for me. We can both understand the stimuli and perceive it but we cannot react to it in any other way aside our own intrinsic reaction. Under the same trauma one of us may have a stiff upper lip while the other falters. We can only judge other's on the basis of our own reactions. The subjective nature of individuality means the only objective nature of reality is shared perception of  external phenomena.

2 hours ago, ...Dan said:

And if it's physical pain instead of mental? How do you feel about euthanasia? They're cowardly and selfish cunts as well?

Straw man straight out the gate. Massively different set of circumstances each with various points to consider. Euthanasia for example can benefit a family if the care takes up all the others lives, that's bravery and selfless sacrifice. It's case dependant, remember that mom who drowned recently but held her child out of the water? That's brave.

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Of course you would say that though, your mind is at ease. You haven't got depression. 

You can't judge a person's actions when you're not standing in their shoes. Everyone is different and what one person can brush off may cripple another. 

I couldn't really give a toss about his pain, he's offed himself because he couldn't bear to face up to whatever demons he had, and in the process he's left a widow and two 6 year old twin girls among others. As a father I can't abide that it's weak it's cowardly it's selfish, you don't do that you provide you be there for them. Suicide is escaping he's ran from his responsibilities because it's got hard. Battling through dark days to live up to that responsibility is what strength is all about, mopping around on drugs in your 40's when you've got 6 kids. It's a man child full of his own self centred attitude, I find this perverse defence of his cowardice bizarre it's no wonder as we've culturally got all sympathic more have started offing themselves. It's something stupid like 3rd or 4th highest killer to men under 50 globally now. It's really is the cheap way out for weaker men, even at your lowest you can't just abandon your young, pathetic it really is.

1 hour ago, Panflute said:

Sad.

Naturally I am against suicide but to ascribe terms as 'cowardly' to it just makes you come across as a clueless cunt.

It's born out of fear, fear of life, fear of carrying on, fear of losing face or fear of not having the strength to do what's right. Cowardice indicates a failure of the character in the face of a challenge, bugging out because you feel you can't go on is exactly that. Especially as I've said numerous times when you have dependency of your own as a responsibility, strength is facing up to it and if needs be having the bravery to ask yourself uncomfortable questions and battle those demons for the benefit of those you have a moral obligation to raise. No self respecting parent would do this. 

Anyway I'm assuming none of you lot have kids?

Ignore Fairy in boots. I did after his first distasteful post.

Sad news for the music world, his family and friends and fans. Linkin Park were a band I listened to as I grew up and I still enjoy them now. R.I.P