talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chester Bennington (Lead Singer from Linkin Park) Passes Away

football forum

football forum

Breaking news.

Chester Bennington, lead singer of the popular American nu-metal band Linkin Park has passed away at the age of 41. Police arrived at a private residence this morning and found the father of six. Reports coming through are suggesting that the cause of death was hanging and is probably related to the suicide of fellow music legend Chris Cornell who passed away earlier this year and would have celebrated his 53rd birthday today. 

RIP. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

This is shocked me to the core. Grew up listening to them and they opened up the proverbial music doors for the kind of music I listen to now.

Amazing band and I loved listening to his voice in all songs. 

I can't believe it :(. Heartbreaking news to come home to. 

RIP. 

9 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

In the end I guess his 6 children didn't even matter? 

You have a go at being a well-rounded person after being molested for six years and being divorced twice.

Shit. Didn't know about this until I came onto TF. As with every death it's sad. As well as Linkin Park he fronted the Stone Temple Pilots for a while and it brought them back imo. RIP.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

You have a go at being a well-rounded person after being molested for six years and being divorced twice.

Missed the song titles? 

In all seriousness, I'd say it's probably got far more to do with drink & drugs into your 40's. Plenty of people who've lived through trauma greater than him with a lot harder lives to live and they've not given in. It's always tragic when someone takes their own life, but let's not pretend it isn't cowardly and selfish. I personally don't have time for those abandoning their children in this manner, I think it's a destructive act with selfish motives that fails to consider the damage that it does to those around you. Specifically in this case his children, it's a betrayal of his responsibility to them as a parent, I have literally lost all sympathy because of that. 

Depression is a horrible destructive thing but we should never normalise giving up the gift of life. No matter how low you feel or how worthless you seem, as a humans we overcome and move forward. Anything else is lesser than and not worthy of respect, I was a Soundgarden fan to, I still am but Cornell was a cunt bugging out that way to. 

34 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

In the end I guess his 6 children didn't even matter? 

Of course they did, and so did everything. Feeling suicidal tends to make you look away from the consequences and all things that matter tend to be pushed aside. It's a feeling of desperation, desperation to break away. Whatever the catalyst it feels inescapable and you begin to doubt everything, how you are perceived or the impact you've had. You're forced to put on a brave face or people will begin to question, point fingers and try to help but if anything it doesn't at all: it makes it worse. It takes a lot to confront your fears but when you're depressed you see no other way out, no other option to make things better. Whether or not Chris Cornell's suicide was the catalyst in Chester's suicide is up for debate but whatever the cause it was enough to push him over the edge.

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

This is chilling now. 

so many lyrics and songs, especially the last album, seem to have come to fruition now. 

• Administrator
Just now, Cannabis said:

Yeah, I'm having a Linkin Park session tonight and so many of the songs are now incredibly chilling. Some of them quite literally sound like prophecies now?

same.

it's either about regretting what you may have done and escaping what you've been through or escaping what you're going through when you really and properly listen to the lyrics. 

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Missed the song titles? 

In all seriousness, I'd say it's probably got far more to do with drink & drugs into your 40's. Plenty of people who've lived through trauma greater than him with a lot harder lives to live and they've not given in. It's always tragic when someone takes their own life, but let's not pretend it isn't cowardly and selfish. I personally don't have time for those abandoning their children in this manner, I think it's a destructive act with selfish motives that fails to consider the damage that it does to those around you. Specifically in this case his children, it's a betrayal of his responsibility to them as a parent, I have literally lost all sympathy because of that. 

Depression is a horrible destructive thing but we should never normalise giving up the gift of life. No matter how low you feel or how worthless you seem, as a humans we overcome and move forward. Anything else is lesser than and not worthy of respect, I was a Soundgarden fan to, I still am but Cornell was a cunt bugging out that way to. 

And if it's physical pain instead of mental? How do you feel about euthanasia? They're cowardly and selfish cunts as well?

^ That reminds me of a quote from the Cloud Atlas book. 

“People pontificate, "Suicide is selfishness." Career churchmen like Pater go a step further and call in a cowardly assault on the living. Oafs argue this specious line for varying reason: to evade fingers of blame, to impress one's audience with one's mental fiber, to vent anger, or just because one lacks the necessary suffering to sympathize. Cowardice is nothing to do with it - suicide takes considerable courage. Japanese have the right idea. No, what's selfish is to demand another to endure an intolerable existence, just to spare families, friends, and enemies a bit of soul-searching.”

23 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

^ That reminds me of a quote from the Cloud Atlas book. 

I'm not sure it's either, the Japanese view is bonkers in my opinion.

I think we should view it as a pure and simple disaster/tragedy. It's neither cowardly or courageous, it is simply an action people take when they are often desperately ill, it's the act of a deranged mind. 

Growing up they were massive, even people that weren't massive fans of Rock would listen to Linkin Park. During that time no one came close to capturing the feeling of angst like Linkin Park. Obviously there was reality attached to that angst which is why so many people could relate but probably also a sign that suicidal thoughts were always lingering in his head.

Archived