• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fawlty Towers - The Revival

football forum

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

One of my greatest comedies next to Only Fools and Horses but will it have the same impact as the first series? I don't think it will somehow, the old Major, Ballard Berkley, will not be in it as he died in 1988, and Andrew Sachs as Manuel died in 2016.

In the original series, it was the Major who was earmarked as one of the main characters but Manuel grabbed the limelight, one of the best episodes was Manuel in 'Basil the Rat' who thought his pet rat was a Siberian Hamster. xD 

A bit like Only Fools and Horses being created again but without Grandad, Uncle Albert, Trigger, Boycie, and Dave behind the bar who have all died, it would not be the same, but me and the wife will give it a watch and hopefully John Cleesh will pull off another blinder and create another character like Manuel again.

5 hours ago, Stan said:

I'll be giving it a watch. WIll be interesting to see how much it has moved with the times, as Cleese can be a controversial character outside of acting. 

He's not gonna be able to say certain things in the show though. I don't think he's a bad person just not good at understanding why someone from a different background would be offended by some stuff. You have to remember that a prime time mainstream show can't be to offensive. I like offensive comedy myself but there's a time and place for it. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

He's not gonna be able to say certain things in the show though. I don't think he's a bad person just not good at understanding why someone from a different background would be offended by some stuff. You have to remember that a prime time mainstream show can't be to offensive. I like offensive comedy myself but there's a time and place for it. 

I know, but it'll be interesting to see how 'funny' it is when he's had to tone it down. The beauty of Fawlty Towers is that there appeared to be no filter and they made light of what are dark topics (the funny walk depicting a Nazi) or things you couldn't get away with - I bet many would think the jibes about Manuel being Spanish are classed as xenophobic. So with Cleese being quite a controversial person, my thinking is how he can execute humour in the modern day without causing controversy and making this revival not useless...

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

You leave the thread after a bad joke but not after posting pictures of dirty feet and talking about wiping your ass xD

The feet are always clean and it's itchy butt cheek, not wiping the inside of the arse 🤣

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@MUFC I'm pretty certain you started a thread about whether you wipe your ass standing up or sitting down mate 

That was Azeem. Are you saying all Asians look the same 🤣

On 09/02/2023 at 02:56, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sometimes dead is better than bringing something back to life.

But money & not needing to come up with something wholly original I guess outweigh that.

Didn’t he get cleaned out by an ex 10-20 years ago? And lost most his wealth? 

Archived