Jump to content
talkfootball365

African Cup of Nations Moved to January 2022


football forum
 Share

Recommended Posts

When I read it I was thinking its good for football in general. The players get to play the tournament in the summer months instead of the winter (I think that was always due to the weather but I could be wrong) and they don't run the risk of getting injured and not being able to play for their respective clubs. 

Good news all around and as for the number of teams invovled increasing its just a trend we have to get used to now. FIFA has its head screwed on backwards and it seems like they want everyone else to do so as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Africa & Asia should scrap the Afcon and Asian Cup respectively. They are poor spectacles that don't draw much crowd because of unease of travel between member states and there is possibly no way they can be scheduled without conflicting with player's club commitment.

Have a Nations League type tournament in their place with home and away matches, the semi finals and final played in a single country. That would be more interesting

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Africa & Asia should scrap the Afcon and Asian Cup respectively. They are poor spectacles that don't draw much crowd because of unease of travel between member states and there is possibly no way they can be scheduled without conflicting with player's club commitment.

Have a Nations League type tournament in their place with home and away matches, the semi finals and final played in a single country. That would be more interesting

for AFCON it could be solved by having the tournament in summer months in odd years so as not to conflict with World Cup?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

for AFCON it could be solved by having the tournament in summer months in odd years so as not to conflict with World Cup?

Could be but that's not likely to be a permanent thing let's be honest and like i said there are other things as well poor crowds because of difficult travel and having poor crowds at your premium continental championship reflects poorly on the sport there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Could be but that's not likely to be a permanent thing let's be honest and like i said there are other things as well poor crowds because of difficult travel and having poor crowds at your premium continental championship reflects poorly on the sport there

I don't think the answer would be to cancel the tournaments though. The better option would be to find solutions as to how to make it work efficiently to benefit all nations that end up taking part at any given tournament.

For AFCON, because of the vast spread of locations, maybe having regionalised groups and then neutral locations for knockouts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't think the answer would be to cancel the tournaments though. The better option would be to find solutions as to how to make it work efficiently to benefit all nations that end up taking part at any given tournament.

For AFCON, because of the vast spread of locations, maybe having regionalised groups and then neutral locations for knockouts?

That's somewhat what i said, home and way then a single host country in the final four. Regionalised group won't work in Asia and Africa cause most of the strong teams are mostly from one region, few strong teams will always miss out from their region while likes of Kenya will qualify from East Africa 

With both of these expanded to 24 teams it's now out of reach of most countries to host them. In Asia it's almost going to East Asian, Australia or some rich gulf country hosting it and maybe someone like Thailand or India trying to host it one off time. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

Africa & Asia should scrap the Afcon and Asian Cup respectively. They are poor spectacles that don't draw much crowd because of unease of travel between member states and there is possibly no way they can be scheduled without conflicting with player's club commitment.

Have a Nations League type tournament in their place with home and away matches, the semi finals and final played in a single country. That would be more interesting

That not really fair to say they should be scrapped because they interfere with club football. They are not great to watch but to say they should go is disrespectful in my opinion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

That not really fair to say they should be scrapped because they interfere with club football. They are not great to watch but to say they should go is disrespectful in my opinion

Read rest of my post, I'm talking about replacing them with a tournament that's played during the international breaks like the Nations League in Europe, having a traditional Cup competition played in a host nation within few weeks is not workable

Edited by Azeem
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, nudge said:

Because rainy season.

I was joking, but I did think the reason it wasn't in our summer was because of the heat, and didn't think Egypt was a very good sample size of the tournament. It makes more sense now though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to African Cup of Nations Moved to January 2022
On 18/06/2020 at 13:37, Stan said:

for AFCON it could be solved by having the tournament in summer months in odd years so as not to conflict with World Cup?

It's extremely hot during summer months in many African countries, I don't think that having the AFCON in the summer would be the ideal solution. It's 30+ and even 40+ Celsius in some countries in Africa during the summer. Countries with such temperatures, probably wouldn't be able to host the matches in the summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Michael said:

It's extremely hot during summer months in many African countries, I don't think that having the AFCON in the summer would be the ideal solution. It's 30+ and even 40+ Celsius in some countries in Africa during the summer. Countries with such temperatures, probably wouldn't be able to host the matches in the summer.

Remember some African countries are also in the south :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mpache said:

Remember some African countries are also in the south :) 

Yes, I am fully aware of that, that's why I said "many", and not all. But African countries in the northern hemisphere and those near the equator, are extremely hot during the summer. You can't just restrict the hosting of the AFCON to countries like South Africa, Namibia and Botswana.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Michael said:

Yes, I am fully aware of that, that's why I said "many", and not all. But African countries in the northern hemisphere and those near the equator, are extremely hot during the summer. You can't just restrict the hosting of the AFCON to countries like South Africa, Namibia and Botswana.

And since both the Afcon and Asian Cup have been expanded to 24 teams it means now even a shorter pool of possible host countries. Don't know about Africa but in Asua it's gonna be Gulf countries, Australia and East Asian ones hosting it almost all the time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...