The better place to talk football.

African Cup of Nations

football forum

• The title was changed to African Cup of Nations Moved to January 2022
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/06/2020 at 13:37, Stan said:

for AFCON it could be solved by having the tournament in summer months in odd years so as not to conflict with World Cup?

It's extremely hot during summer months in many African countries, I don't think that having the AFCON in the summer would be the ideal solution. It's 30+ and even 40+ Celsius in some countries in Africa during the summer. Countries with such temperatures, probably wouldn't be able to host the matches in the summer.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

It's extremely hot during summer months in many African countries, I don't think that having the AFCON in the summer would be the ideal solution. It's 30+ and even 40+ Celsius in some countries in Africa during the summer. Countries with such temperatures, probably wouldn't be able to host the matches in the summer.

Remember some African countries are also in the south :) 

1 hour ago, Mpache said:

Remember some African countries are also in the south :) 

Yes, I am fully aware of that, that's why I said "many", and not all. But African countries in the northern hemisphere and those near the equator, are extremely hot during the summer. You can't just restrict the hosting of the AFCON to countries like South Africa, Namibia and Botswana.

12 hours ago, Michael said:

Yes, I am fully aware of that, that's why I said "many", and not all. But African countries in the northern hemisphere and those near the equator, are extremely hot during the summer. You can't just restrict the hosting of the AFCON to countries like South Africa, Namibia and Botswana.

And since both the Afcon and Asian Cup have been expanded to 24 teams it means now even a shorter pool of possible host countries. Don't know about Africa but in Asua it's gonna be Gulf countries, Australia and East Asian ones hosting it almost all the time. 

2 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

Can't they play in the rain? England is one of the rainiest country's in the world and hosts football all year round.

The rain in England is nowhere near as bad as the ones in the Rainforest... whether it's in the Congo Jungle or the Amazon. No comparison.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Mpache said:

The rain in England is nowhere near as bad as the ones in the Rainforest... whether it's in the Congo Jungle or the Amazon. No comparison.

This. You wouldn't even be able to see the ball during a heavy tropical rain, nevermind actually play, unless you intended to swim on the pitch. Also infrastructure can be heavily affected by resulting landslides and floods.

On 02/07/2020 at 09:50, Azeem said:

And since both the Afcon and Asian Cup have been expanded to 24 teams it means now even a shorter pool of possible host countries. Don't know about Africa but in Asua it's gonna be Gulf countries, Australia and East Asian ones hosting it almost all the time. 

You mean that it's going to be the wealthy countries with very good infrastructure, that will be able to host these tournaments. I agree and if you have that many teams in a tournament, you want to give each squad a decent hotel to stay at and provide them with training facilities that meet the required standards.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Danny said:

A lot of teams at AFCON don’t look great as a whole, like Algeria, genuinely comical display against Sierra Leone.

But Nigeria looked like a solid outfit and Iheanacho’s goal was beautiful 

Undefeated team in 35+ matches, 0-0 draw against Sierra Leone first time they didn't score in a game since 2018. Group stages of all international competition now have these dull games bcz of format, England drew 0-0 with Scotland at home

1 hour ago, Khan of TF365 said:

FI6Pit4WYAE-L_a?format=jpg&name=large

This ref blew the final whistle at 85 minutes, realised his mistake then ended the game later on 89:50, no injury time

Something similar happened in Germany in the 70's. Wolf-Dieter Ahlenfelder ended the first half after 32 minutes. It later turned out that he was drunk as a skunk. xD

• The title was changed to African Cup of Nations

Archived