talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

MLS Match Chat

football forum

Starts in just a few weeks (February 25). 

Atlanta United are home against San Jose, so hopefully things have changed and this year will be different for United. 

No Jose Martinez could be a weird sight as he was the last remaining key player from the MLS Cup winning United team. 

4 hours ago, Eco said:

Starts in just a few weeks (February 25). 

Atlanta United are home against San Jose, so hopefully things have changed and this year will be different for United. 

No Jose Martinez could be a weird sight as he was the last remaining key player from the MLS Cup winning United team. 

Replacement incoming though.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Replacement incoming though.

I heard about this while making dinner. 

I'll admit that I know nothing about him, but I have to trust the Atlanta Front Office in that they vetted him well enough to know that he'll fit in nicely and provide some goals, as that's what we are missing more than anything. 

• The topic was pinned

Saturday, February 25
NYCFC at Nashville
San Jose at Atlanta
New England at Charlotte
Houston at Cincinnati
Toronto at DC United
Montreal at Miami
NY RB at Orlando
Columbus at Philadelphia
St. Louis at Austin
Minnesota at Dallas FC
LAFC at LA Galaxy
Kansas City at Portland
Salt Lake at Vancouver

Sunday, February 26
Colorado at Seattle

Posting this here because it has 2 MLS games on the list.

What a shitty list though. I do think there are a few MLS rivalries who can make it (Seattle vs Portland and Toronto FC vs Montreal Impact), but they aren't in it. DC United vs NYRB died when NYCFC started, and "el trafico" is like a few years old to be considered. Very artificial.

Aside from that, where is Chivas vs Atlas? All Boys vs Nueva Chicago are rivals? Universitario - Alianza should be top 10 at least. Gremio - Inter is better than Fla/Flu and arguably the 2nd best on the entire list. Blooming vs Oriente Petrolero is too high up. San Lorenzo vs Huracan while historic are not good rivals since they don't fill up those games.

957914344df4732066cd72e9130f68c3.jpg

2 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Posting this here because it has 2 MLS games on the list.

What a shitty list though. I do think there are a few MLS rivalries who can make it (Seattle vs Portland and Toronto FC vs Montreal Impact), but they aren't in it. DC United vs NYRB died when NYCFC started, and "el trafico" is like a few years old to be considered. Very artificial.

Aside from that, where is Chivas vs Atlas? All Boys vs Nueva Chicago are rivals? Universitario - Alianza should be top 10 at least. Gremio - Inter is better than Fla/Flu and arguably the 2nd best on the entire list. Blooming vs Oriente Petrolero is too high up. San Lorenzo vs Huracan while historic are not good rivals since they don't fill up those games.

957914344df4732066cd72e9130f68c3.jpg

These lists are always just someone's opinion and nothing more.

For instance, #2 I'd put America vs Chivas, as I love that game and it's just such a massive deal here as well.

I don't get the DC vs NYRB, as DC haven't been relevant in years and so their seems to be very little around that game.

El Trafico I get though, while new, it's got some passion in it and has provided some of the greatest MLS games ever.

Outside of a few Brazilian and Argentine teams, I don't watch anyone else in South America, so honestly I couldn't tell you the two best teams in Chile/Peru or their greatest rival.

Just now, Eco said:

These lists are always just someone's opinion and nothing more.

For instance, #2 I'd put America vs Chivas, as I love that game and it's just such a massive deal here as well.

I don't get the DC vs NYRB, as DC haven't been relevant in years and so their seems to be very little around that game.

El Trafico I get though, while new, it's got some passion in it and has provided some of the greatest MLS games ever.

Outside of a few Brazilian and Argentine teams, I don't watch anyone else in South America, so honestly I couldn't tell you the two best teams in Chile/Peru or their greatest rival.

I am mostly talking about the MLS rivalries here. The 2 best I think are Seattle Sounders vs Portland Timbers thanks it being the oldest rivalry and dating back to before the MLS was a thing, and Toronto FC vs Montreal Impact for it's backstory and the Quebecois having a historical grudge against people from Ontario, giving it a partizan feeling and authenticity. 

As for the others, I feel some of them were put just via historical reference and not it's current state. For example, San Lorenzo vs Huracan used to be a great rivalry but nowadays it doesn't attract many people and they don't tend to fill up. This is more Huracan's fault than San Lorenzo however.

Also, I genuinely had no idea All Boys has Nueva Chicago as a rival.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Goku de la Boca said:

I am mostly talking about the MLS rivalries here. The 2 best I think are Seattle Sounders vs Portland Timbers thanks it being the oldest rivalry and dating back to before the MLS was a thing, and Toronto FC vs Montreal Impact for it's backstory and the Quebecois having a historical grudge against people from Ontario, giving it a partizan feeling and authenticity. 

As for the others, I feel some of them were put just via historical reference and not it's current state. For example, San Lorenzo vs Huracan used to be a great rivalry but nowadays it doesn't attract many people and they don't tend to fill up. This is more Huracan's fault than San Lorenzo however.

Also, I genuinely had no idea All Boys has Nueva Chicago as a rival.

Absolutely on Seattle vs Portland. I was in Portland during the time of a game between them to, and that was great to see the excitement.

While it's not as big, Atlanta vs Orlando is a pretty nasty rivalry too.

12 hours ago, Stan said:

2 stoppage time goals though! What a season it'll be :P

I fell asleep at HT as I had the Atlanta Marathon today and had to wake up at 4:30.

I was shocked when I read about the stoppage time goals.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Eco with the prospect of more expansion teams (fingers crossed San Diego gets one)... is there ever any chance of promotion/relegation in US football? Or is that something that's likely too big of a threat to the revenue streams of all the MLS team owners to ever seriously be a consideration.

It's very clear to me in my time living in the US that football has become so much more popular in the US than it was when I first came here. I think with how absolutely vast the US is... promotion and relegation would be very interesting for football in the US. I also think smaller clubs (if they ever popped up and the US had a football tier system like Europe) would probably have a miserable time traveling around the country - so I'm not sure how like-for-like the US could get to Europe with promotion & relegation. They'd probably have to have regional leagues with playoff systems to determine promotion, I assume.

My gut instinct is that promotion and relegation in the MLS or US football generally is a non-starter. I assume there's guaranteed revenue each MLS team gets each season from being in the MLS... none of these owners are going to want anything to threaten that.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to MLS Match Chat