talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Madonna

football forum

Think it's time for her give up the ghost personally.... Just think she has had her time and needs to move on, I think she is trying too hard to stay relevant and all them poses she was doing on that bed and climbing on talk show hosts desks were a bit cringe for me..  

She had a great career and I am not saying that because she is older she should stop doing what she enjoys but maybe should try growing older more gracefully perhaps... 

• Subscriber
On 09/02/2023 at 06:16, Tommy said:

She has lost her mind, and her face. 

Some great tunes in the past though. 

Yeah, the reactions to that recent photo of her in the Grammy's (I think?) was the inspiration for this thread. Really sad to see.

On 09/02/2023 at 06:19, Bluewolf said:

Think it's time for her give up the ghost personally.... Just think she has had her time and needs to move on, I think she is trying too hard to stay relevant and all them poses she was doing on that bed and climbing on talk show hosts desks were a bit cringe for me..  

She had a great career and I am not saying that because she is older she should stop doing what she enjoys but maybe should try growing older more gracefully perhaps... 

Yeah. Being able to successfully reinvent herself again and again was sort of her trademark and the key factor for her long and great career, but at some point there's an end to everything, I guess. Sometimes it just looks like a desperate attempt to stay relevant at any cost... 

Edited by nudge

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Spike said:

I always thought ‘Like A Prayer’ was about giving head to Jesus

There's definitely a blowjob reference there... That song is a banger though.

59 minutes ago, Stan said:

Don't mind the older classics from 80s/90s. Not a fan of her recent stuff.

Same. For me, Ray of Light was the peak of her career and it's also one of my favourite albums of all time. Slowly went downhill afterwards, I stopped listening completely after American Life.

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, nudge said:

There's definitely a blowjob reference there... That song is a banger though.

When you call my name, it's like a little prayer I'm down on my knees, I wanna take you there In the midnight hour, I can feel your power Just like a prayer, you know I'll take you there

If that's not a BJ reference I've no idea what is xD 

35 minutes ago, nudge said:

Same. For me, Ray of Light was the peak of her career and it's also one of my favourite albums of all time. Slowly went downhill afterwards, I stopped listening completely after American Life.

Yeah Ray of Light is a stand-out. Frozen gets me sometimes. After the mid-00s it started to go downhill, I'd say. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Yeah, that recent photo of her in the Emmy's (I think?) was the inspiration for this thread. Really sad to see.

I think she has a very hard time accepting that she's old. A few months ago, I already saw a post where people spoke about her Instagram pictures, which she filters to the point where she is unrecognisable. 

I mean...

1_Madonna.jpg

• Sad 1

• Subscriber

It only works for so long and that time is directly related to the music you put out and more importantly how much of it is received with praise. Whether older generations/fans like it or not is irrelevant but she wasn't doing too well for a while post that EDM-Disco album "Confessions on a Dance Floor" which was really a very good switch out while still staying in her wheelhouse. Kylie did something very similar, and it worked wonders for her. The difference being that Madonna has always wanted to push the boundary outside her music career and it's not always going to be a hit with the masses. Either way, she'll keep doing what she does best, and I really doubt anyone can/should change her mind about it. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What's the song with the Abba sample? That one's catchy.

29 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Hung Up from Confession on a Dance Floor

I was thinking about that one earlier. It’s not bad at all

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What's the song with the Abba sample? That one's catchy.

18 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Hung Up from Confession on a Dance Floor

18 hours ago, Spike said:

I was thinking about that one earlier. It’s not bad at all

I just realised that song is 18 years old already. Fuck sake. 

• Subscriber
On 10/02/2023 at 01:16, Mel81x said:

It only works for so long and that time is directly related to the music you put out and more importantly how much of it is received with praise. Whether older generations/fans like it or not is irrelevant but she wasn't doing too well for a while post that EDM-Disco album "Confessions on a Dance Floor" which was really a very good switch out while still staying in her wheelhouse. Kylie did something very similar, and it worked wonders for her. The difference being that Madonna has always wanted to push the boundary outside her music career and it's not always going to be a hit with the masses. Either way, she'll keep doing what she does best, and I really doubt anyone can/should change her mind about it. 

So, I went back and listened to all her albums post Confessions (well actually post Hard Candy, as it turns out I have listened to that one back when it was released, I just couldn't remember it), as I have been living under a rock apparently and completely missed all of them. I didn't particularly enjoy MDNA and Madame X and both are pretty forgettable to me (even if MDNA still had some bangers, and the experimenting with new sounds in Madame X is pretty cool and I do respect that, it's just not really my kind of stuff), but I was very positively surprised by how much I liked Rebel Heart; I thought it was a fine album with quite a few songs that could have easily been top hits, imo. What I found even more surprising though is that I haven't heard a single song from those 3 albums on the radio in all these years, for whatever reason. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, nudge said:

So, I went back and listened to all her albums post Confessions (well actually post Hard Candy, as it turns out I have listened to that one back when it was released, I just couldn't remember it), as I have been living under a rock apparently and completely missed all of them. I didn't particularly enjoy MDNA and Madame X and both are pretty forgettable to me (even if MDNA still had some bangers, and the experimenting with new sounds in Madame X is pretty cool and I do respect that, it's just not really my kind of stuff), but I was very positively surprised by how much I liked Rebel Heart; I thought it was a fine album with quite a few songs that could have easily been top hits, imo. What I found even more surprising though is that I haven't heard a single song from those 3 albums on the radio in all these years, for whatever reason. 

She really does push the envelope but its just not gen-pop consumption anymore which is what most folks expect from here. It's like asking the Rolling Stones to EDM which they can't because its not in their wheelhouse. Having said that it is pretty musically sound even if people don't like it. 

P.S. I quite liked Rebel Heart too.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Rick said:

It’s sad that she hasn’t grown old gracefully and is holding on to her youth to the point of insanity. Not just looks, but her music. 

Wtf is that supposed to mean? Should she start doing singalongs for senior citizens in care homes instead of making the kind of music she wants to just because she's past a certain age? xD 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Wtf is that supposed to mean? Should she start doing singalongs for senior citizens in care homes instead of making the kind of music she wants to just because she's past a certain age? xD 

Haha badly worded on my part. I think she does music that she is told is popular, rather than what she has taste for. 

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Rick said:

Haha badly worded on my part. I think she does music that she is told is popular, rather than what she has taste for. 

Can't say I agree with that completely. I'm sure she pays very close attention to musical trends and uses it to her advantage when recording new stuff, as I doubt one can have a career spanning four decades and become the best selling female artist of all time without honing in on what current pop culture wants and giving people what they want to listen to... But she also has released plenty of bold experimental stuff over the years, and that includes her latest album, too, which is very much a fusion of "world music" sounds with contemporary modern pop/dance/hiphop elements. I do agree that many songs on both Hard Candy and MDNA do come across as an attempt to mimic what's hot instead of being creative, though.

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, nudge said:

I'd totally sing along if she did a rendition of "Old Macdonald Had a Farm". 

• Haha 1