talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton Won't Renew Ruben Selles Contract

@Lucas How do you feel marsch did with you? Under bielsa you were conceding two goals a game I think. You probably would of gone down I would imagine with bielsa. To me as I've said it seems like he's shit but it's not like he has taken a mid table team and turned them into relegation contenders as Leeds were doing badly anyway. I personally think Leeds could become a good team if they can get the right man and be patient 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Stan said:

what kind of reception do you think he'll get?

Hopefully the fans stay classy. It didn't work out but he was nice enough guy and he should get some warm applause in my eyes. The fact it didnt work out is more of a reflection on the board than Marsch.

He isn't worthy of boos, that's for sure.

20 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Lucas How do you feel marsch did with you? Under bielsa you were conceding two goals a game I think. You probably would of gone down I would imagine with bielsa. To me as I've said it seems like he's shit but it's not like he has taken a mid table team and turned them into relegation contenders as Leeds were doing badly anyway. I personally think Leeds could become a good team if they can get the right man and be patient 

A lot of people, including yourself, are very shortsighted to the fact that Bielsa was doing his upmost with a wafer thin squad and using 18 year olds to fill a bench. The injury record last year was as bad as I've seen any side affected. At least Liverpool/Chelsea had strength in depth somewhat, we had kids.

The board panicked because he faced Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs consecutively and we conceded 14 goals. Those were fixtures we were not supposed to win anyway but the media pressure forced their hand.

But Bielsa always beat the sides around us or lower than us. Never lost once. And that's a reflection on his tactics. He built enough credit to be given those fixtures that we had left to come. I will die on the hill that he'd have kept us up. I'm positive of it.

Marsch couldn't buy a win against the teams around us this season and he didn't have a quarter of the injuries. The squad is much stronger and we should not be where we are. On paper, we have some very good players. Tactically, he's not got the best out of them and he plays far too narrow for a side that has some great wide options.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind, If Bielsa had the options we have now in the squad, we'd be well clear of the drop.

That is a guarantee.

On 12/02/2023 at 10:18, DeadLinesman said:

I for one am shocked that a man picked up from a mediocre Luton Town hasn’t turned a premier league team round in 12 weeks.

Yes, you've seen what we all thought? I am shocked they chose him considering his Stoke tenure. I really hope he got a good pay out and is back in football very soon, although I hope he chooses his appointment more for longevity than prestige (not that Southampton are in anyway glamorous). Jones is a good coach but in the Championship and league one.

No surprise with the sacking of Jones. Southampton are rock bottom of the Premier League and they've lost 9 out of their last 10 Premier League matches. I think it's the right decision. It clearly wasn't working with Jones and it's best to bring someone else in now, before it is too late. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Marsch talks broken down apparently. 

They offered him to the end of the season.

What did they expect? They offered Jones 3 and a half years xD

No wonder Jesse backed out. You want some form of stability for your family when you are offered these contracts and what kind of faith in you does that show from the club?

If Saints want someone to the end of the season, they may as well get Big Sam or Bruce, people that will jump at an opportunity like that.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

No surprise with the sacking of Jones. Southampton are rock bottom of the Premier League and they've lost 9 out of their last 10 Premier League matches. I think it's the right decision. It clearly wasn't working with Jones and it's best to bring someone else in now, before it is too late. 

Jones was not a good match for that type of issue, they needed an experienced manager who had the pedigree to get them out of trouble. Jones would have been a great long term manager but he was out of his depth in the Prem.

20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

They offered him to the end of the season.

What did they expect? They offered Jones 3 and a half years xD

No wonder Jesse backed out. You want some form of stability for your family when you are offered these contracts and what kind of faith in you does that show from the club?

If Saints want someone to the end of the season, they may as well get Big Sam or Bruce, people that will jump at an opportunity like that.

Big Sam maybe the only option but I think they're down the players are just resigned to the drop.

4 hours ago, Juniper said:

Jones was not a good match for that type of issue, they needed an experienced manager who had the pedigree to get them out of trouble. Jones would have been a great long term manager but he was out of his depth in the Prem.

I agree, his record as Southampton manager has quite frankly been terrible. I don't know why they gambled on an inexperienced manager like Jones. They should have hired someone with more Premier League pedigree. It's similar to when Chelsea and Everton gambled on Lampard where he didn't meet expectations. Gambling on younger inexperienced managers is a big risk, even if they seem to have potential. If the Saints can get Pochettino in as their manager, that would be a great feat. He has proven his credentials at both Spurs and Paris St Germain. Or someone like Sam Allardyce, who is very experienced with relegation scraps. All in all, I wish Southampton the best. I have a soft spot for the south coast clubs. Of the three south coast clubs in the Premier League, Brighton are safe, but Southampton and Bournemouth are in real danger of getting relegated. Lets hope that at least one of these two avoids the drop.

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

I agree, his record as Southampton manager has quite frankly been terrible. I don't know why they gambled on an inexperienced manager like Jones. They should have hired someone with more Premier League pedigree. It's similar to when Chelsea and Everton gambled on Lampard where he didn't meet expectations. Gambling on younger inexperienced managers is a big risk, even if they seem to have potential. If the Saints can get Pochettino in as their manager, that would be a great feat. He has proven his credentials at both Spurs and Paris St Germain. Or someone like Sam Allardyce, who is very experienced with relegation scraps. All in all, I wish Southampton the best. I have a soft spot for the south coast clubs. Of the three south coast clubs in the Premier League, Brighton are safe, but Southampton and Bournemouth are in real danger of getting relegated. Lets hope that at least one of these two avoids the drop.

If you're Pochettino though, why would you go back to Southampton again after you've proven yourself at that level meanwhile Southampton are far worse than they were when he was there? He's gone from making it to a CL final with Spurs & managing players like Mbappe and Messi (albeit... not the best job managing them). He's not short of cash after getting sacked by PSG and if he wants another job in the prem, he can easily get one that is less likely to have him getting relegated and damaging his reputation further, as right now it's still pretty good despite Spurs suddenly turning to shit and the PSG debacle.

Tough job football management, because your decisions for your next prospective job sort of have to have a "what might happen after I leave this club" - it's not really a job where I think too many people can say they've got long term job stability... so I think you've always got to have your mind a bit focused on what happens to you next if things go tits up. Cos for some managers, it doesn't matter if you've had a long career of punching above your weight - one high profile failure might end your career as you know it. 15 years at Charlton and having them as established as a prem side wasn't enough to get Curbishley another job in England, even though at West Ham things fell apart for him in part because of his employers.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If you're Pochettino though, why would you go back to Southampton again after you've proven yourself at that level meanwhile Southampton are far worse than they were when he was there? He's gone from making it to a CL final with Spurs & managing players like Mbappe and Messi (albeit... not the best job managing them). He's not short of cash after getting sacked by PSG and if he wants another job in the prem, he can easily get one that is less likely to have him getting relegated and damaging his reputation further, as right now it's still pretty good despite Spurs suddenly turning to shit and the PSG debacle.

Tough job football management, because your decisions for your next prospective job sort of have to have a "what might happen after I leave this club" - it's not really a job where I think too many people can say they've got long term job stability... so I think you've always got to have your mind a bit focused on what happens to you next if things go tits up. Cos for some managers, it doesn't matter if you've had a long career of punching above your weight - one high profile failure might end your career as you know it. 15 years at Charlton and having them as established as a prem side wasn't enough to get Curbishley another job in England, even though at West Ham things fell apart for him in part because of his employers.

Yeah, it would be a great achievement if Southampton could hire Pochettino. You're right, nobody really wants that job, as it comes with a lot of pressure and getting Southampton out of the mess they are in is not going to be easy. But Pochettino is one of the managers touted as being hired. He is loved at Southampton by the fans and I think that, plus a handsome wage packet, might be enough to lure him back to the club. I mean those are the only 2 incentives I can think of for him wanting to re-join them as manager. But who knows, maybe he will opt for a bigger club that are interested in him. One thing is for sure though in my opinion, Southampton need to bring in someone with experience, if they want to avoid the drop. There are still plenty of matches left for them to get off the bottom of the table and out of danger, but they need to start winning soon.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Yeah, it would be a great achievement if Southampton could hire Pochettino. You're right, nobody really wants that job, as it comes with a lot of pressure and getting Southampton out of the mess they are in is not going to be easy. But Pochettino is one of the managers touted as being hired. He is loved at Southampton by the fans and I think that, plus a handsome wage packet, might be enough to lure him back to the club. I mean those are the only 2 incentives I can think of for him wanting to re-join them as manager. But who knows, maybe he will opt for a bigger club that are interested in him. One thing is for sure though in my opinion, Southampton need to bring in someone with experience, if they want to avoid the drop. There are still plenty of matches left for them to get off the bottom of the table and out of danger, but they need to start winning soon.

I agree with all of that

Not sure any manager can keep Southampton up. It would certainly be a surprise from this stage, whoever it is.

Marsch is probably not getting a better offer than interim manager. He can refuse. I'm sure there are clubs in world football that would take him on as a long term appointment. But I can't see Premier League clubs queuing up for someone who lost that much..

11 hours ago, Michael said:

I seem to have read Southampton hired him as they were building for the future? I agree if this was a situation where they could but they were down at the bottom and not looking good. They should have secured their status and then brought in a younger manager to build from the base up but appointing Jones in this situation was just plan daft. Nathan will get a club and do good things, for us he is a legend but we have Robbie Edwards and are progressing well.

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Southampton Won't Renew Ruben Selles Contract

Don’t know if I read it on here or elsewhere but apparently they’re changing their style to a more possession based style and that will show in their new manager who I think will be Russell Martin?

Archived