Do you care about the Super Bowl?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s arguably the biggest cultural event of the country I live in, so yes

I'll be honest, I couldn't even think of what could be a competitor in this country? 

Super Bowl is THE event here, and I'm not sure there is anything close...

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'll be honest, I couldn't even think of what could be a competitor in this country? 

I heard the other day approx over 1billion chicken wings are estimated to be eaten today in the US because of the Superbowl 

Just now, Stan said:

I heard the other day approx over 1billion chicken wings are estimated to be eaten today in the US because of the Superbowl 

Wings and Beer are an NFL stable. 

Put all that together on the Super Bowl, and it's probably maddening how much money is spent on those two things alone. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Wings and Beer are an NFL stable. 

Put all that together on the Super Bowl, and it's probably maddening how much money is spent on those two things alone. 

I'm here for it. For sport snacks, can't get many better combinations than that... 

Just now, Stan said:

I'm here for it. For sport snacks, can't get many better combinations than that... 

ha - yeah, I actually haven't had a drink in maybe 4 months, and I'm feeling great, so I'll leave my beer to someone else. 

24 minutes ago, Eco said:

I would normally type a big response probably but I’m at a massive party right now taking a piss and then I’m going to get beer. But yeah the Super Bowl is fucking huge here and this is also a good one.

Yes I care, to some degree.

Usually enough to be paying attention to who wins, and to watch some highlights in the evening after I get home from work. And to watch the halftime show and then usually go down a YouTube rabbit hole of watching previous great halftime shows from years gone by like Prince and Springsteen.

I don't care that much. Nowhere near the level of world cup, winter or summer olympics, or the AFL Grand final, but I still care.

• Subscriber

No, I don't mind watching highlights but a full-coverage match has too many adverts to my liking, plus as far as I am concerned its rugby union/league with padding and helmets on, saying all that I have played rugby and Australian Rules football but I don't think I would fancy playing it.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Fundamentally, it's not really anything like rugby.

Just what I think buddy, If I saw rugby union/ league players running around with helmets on and padding plus watching it on tv with adverts flashing up every minute or so then that would be a turn-off for me. :D

Middling really I suppose. It doesn't make excessively happy or sad whoever wins.

I think the NHL is maybe the best spectator sport of the US sports. I did watch quite a bit of that when Channel 5 used to show a match or 2 a week going back a few years.

NFL is much easier to find on UK TV. More so than ever. And I do enjoy it.

Baseball? Not so sure about. Cricket is miles better.

Basketball? Never really had much chance to see any NBA. But thoroughly enjoyed it as an indoor school activity.

Overall though it can often make me feel a bit sad how America evolved to just do everything their own way. Various things that aren't quite football, cricket, rugby. Soccer is mostly a women's sport. While netball is the same in Europe.

On 13/02/2023 at 11:25, CaaC (John) said:

Just what I think buddy, If I saw rugby union/ league players running around with helmets on and padding plus watching it on tv with adverts flashing up every minute or so then that would be a turn-off for me. :D

But it's not rugby. As @Stan said then rules are very different. Its not really an opinion its a fact 

6 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I don't really care. This may sound odd but American football is to American for me lol.

Plus I heard that apparently the half time in the superbowl is longer because of the half-time show. I have heard that if you understand it its more interesting but its not for me.

American football is probably the most American thing out there - so that makes sense to me xD. If you don't understand it, it's an incredibly confusing game to try to watch.

It's an entertaining sport. It's long and there's probably too many breaks that are put that make it seem even longer, but it's entertaining once you learn how it all works. I probably never would have cared about the sport before I moved to America though.

On 13/02/2023 at 03:05, Spike said:

No, I hate the Super Bowl. Not the game but the event with the adverts and half time show.

I wouldn’t watch a second of it if I were in Australia

I think the ads and the half time show are what makes the Super Bowl more of a national cultural event than just an ordinary final for a sport. Because it's a one off final, that makes it different to all the other big US sports finals. Whatever anyone's thoughts on "consumer culture" - I don't think there's any doubt that the US is the capital of consumer culture. So many people are watching in the US, that's why the ads are so expensive and why the budgets for these ads are outrageous and full of celebrities/pop-culture generally. Then you get a televised musical performance of one of the biggest US artists around (and sometimes a foreign artist/band).

Couple that with the fact that it's not just about the game, it's typically a social event for many people and super bowl parties are imo some of the biggest and best parties I've been to in the US. It's just different to other sporting events in the US, the final is sort of secondary to the spectacle that's put on.

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

More people watch it for the halftime show and trailers than the actual tournament, that should probably have a say in how bad a sport it is xD

Bad take. 

Archived