• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Do you care about the Super Bowl?

football forum

Do you care about the Super Bowl?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care?

1 hour ago, Goku de la Boca said:

More people watch it for the halftime show and trailers than the actual tournament, that should probably have a say in how bad a sport it is xD

People watch it for those because it's become a cultural event in the US that goes beyond the actual match - doesn't really have anything to do with how good of a sport it is or isn't, which is a matter of opinion. It's not meant to be a "normal" final - it's meant to be an event that takes up most of a day.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Goku de la Boca said:

More people watch it for the halftime show and trailers than the actual tournament, that should probably have a say in how bad a sport it is xD

82 of the top 100 highest viewed television 'hours' in the US were NFL games. Another 6 were college football games.

I'm not sure people are just watching for the adverts and half time shows of regular season games. Unless people are really into watching the Ohio State marching band...

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

People watch it for those because it's become a cultural event in the US that goes beyond the actual match - doesn't really have anything to do with how good of a sport it is or isn't, which is a matter of opinion. It's not meant to be a "normal" final - it's meant to be an event that takes up most of a day.

Kind of the point I'm making, but always have time for a dig at the NFL.

Just now, ScoRoss said:

82 of the top 100 highest viewed television 'hours' in the US were NFL games. Another 6 were college football games.

I'm not sure people are just watching for the adverts and half time shows of regular season games. Unless people are really into watching the Ohio State marching band...

USA isn't the whole world. Of course Americans will care about the NFL, I was being tongue in cheek anyways. However, whenever someone from elsewhere tries to express interest they always tell me "I'm into the trailers or Rihanna is in it" etc. It's a generalization sure but I just can't understand how anyone can have such bad taste to watch a sport that's stop start before a Wendy's commercial.

Sorry if you disagree and feel the need to defend the NFL but you aren't going to convert me.

Just now, Goku de la Boca said:

Kind of the point I'm making, but always have time for a dig at the NFL.

I mean, the reason this final was chosen as the sporting event to turn into something bigger than a sporting event is because it's by far the best US sport. Baseball's dogshit, basketball's better but it's still not anywhere near as good (and in the "good" games, really all that matters is the last 5 minutes with how inflated their scores are), hockey's football for people with low attention spans (and it's Canadian, I'm pretty sure - although invented by an Englishman I'm pretty sure, so I'll have us claim that tbh even if we're shit at it).

What else would they do it with? Bowling? NASCAR? Nah, the NFL's easily the best they've got.

1 minute ago, Goku de la Boca said:

USA isn't the whole world. Of course Americans will care about the NFL, I was being tongue in cheek anyways. However, whenever someone from elsewhere tries to express interest they always tell me "I'm into the trailers or Rihanna is in it" etc. It's a generalization sure but I just can't understand how anyone can have such bad taste to watch a sport that's stop start before a Wendy's commercial.

Sorry if you disagree and feel the need to defend the NFL but you aren't going to convert me.

If they aren't from the US, what adverts are they tuning in for then? These people sounds like fucking idiots xD

They aren't paying millions for adverts on ITV... You're just getting the average adverts.

I mean, the reason this final was chosen as the sporting event to turn into something bigger than a sporting event is because it's by far the best US sport. Baseball's dogshit, basketball's better but it's still not anywhere near as good (and in the "good" games, really all that matters is the last 5 minutes with how inflated their scores are), hockey's football for people with low attention spans (and it's Canadian, I'm pretty sure - although invented by an Englishman I'm pretty sure, so I'll have us claim that tbh even if we're shit at it).

What else would they do it with? Bowling? NASCAR? Nah, the NFL's easily the best they've got.

Have to disagree with you here. For me the other 3 are way better and fun to watch. Each of them have their flaws (breaks in Hockey are too long, Baseball can be too slow and a Basketball climax is ruined by constant timeouts) but I easily prefer any of the 3 than seeing a quarter back throw a ball forward, the receiver being taken down then wait 2-3 minutes for the next play because they put a beer commercial. Also the fact that I couldn't imagine being an NFL fan and having 4 months for each season. I understand why they do it, but for a viewer it can't be fun to wait so long in-between seasons.

Just now, ScoRoss said:

If they aren't from the US, what adverts are they tuning in for then? These people sounds like fucking idiots xD

They aren't paying millions for adverts on ITV... You're just getting the average adverts.

I am not getting into this because my comment was tongue in cheek and I don't really see a need to add continuous hate to the NFL in a Super Bowl thread, but I'll leave it at that I think you're seriously overhyping this event outside the USA and Canada. It is pretty much a non-entity in many places in the world. 

FWIW, I watched the Seattle Seahawks winning Super Bowl which felt like a lifetime ago now. The rules don't seem awful but I just despise how much they need to stop the damn game. Rugby Union isn't the fastest sport for example, but it isn't as slow as this. And I think the NFL has better on-the-pitch rules, as I do kind of dislike how you can't pass forward in Rugby Union.

5 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Have to disagree with you here. For me the other 3 are way better and fun to watch. Each of them have their flaws (breaks in Hockey are too long, Baseball can be too slow and a Basketball climax is ruined by constant timeouts) but I easily prefer any of the 3 than seeing a quarter back throw a ball forward, the receiver being taken down then wait 2-3 minutes for the next play because they put a beer commercial. Also the fact that I couldn't imagine being an NFL fan and having 4 months for each season. I understand why they do it, but for a viewer it can't be fun to wait so long in-between seasons.

Yeah it's fine to disagree, but I think you're in a pretty big minority tbh and the US sports watching public seems to agree. But it's a matter of opinion really. But it's pretty clear what the biggest sport in the US is... and I don't think it's really even anywhere near close.

Baseball's an awful watch though, and I say this as someone who actually likes going to baseball games (but not because I enjoy the sport xD). Basketball I'm not really into because: 1.) there's too many games, 2.) not enough of the game is "meaningful". With football it might be very start-stop (which I think all North American sports are like because TV revenue runs everything on TV in North America)... but you get more unique and interesting moments in a game than you get in anything else.

I think most Americans thinking it's their best sport and it being a one-off final instead of making it a "series" is what makes it unique compared to other US sports... and why it's become more than "just a final" and how it's ended up as a cultural event for a super power.

4 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

FWIW, I watched the Seattle Seahawks winning Super Bowl which felt like a lifetime ago now. The rules don't seem awful but I just despise how much they need to stop the damn game. Rugby Union isn't the fastest sport for example, but it isn't as slow as this. And I think the NFL has better on-the-pitch rules, as I do kind of dislike how you can't pass forward in Rugby Union.

College football doesn't have as many breaks and the games go by faster. But college football doesn't have as many TV breaks.

The sport itself is entertaining. But, like I said, love it or hate it... the US is the biggest pusher of consumer culture in the world... so it's no surprise that their biggest sport is full of that with so many stops for TV ads.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah it's fine to disagree, but I think you're in a pretty big minority tbh and the US sports watching public seems to agree. But it's a matter of opinion really. But it's pretty clear what the biggest sport in the US is... and I don't think it's really even anywhere near close.

Baseball's an awful watch though, and I say this as someone who actually likes going to baseball games (but not because I enjoy the sport xD). Basketball I'm not really into because: 1.) there's too many games, 2.) not enough of the game is "meaningful". With football it might be very start-stop (which I think all North American sports are like because TV revenue runs everything on TV in North America)... but you get more unique and interesting moments in a game than you get in anything else.

I think most Americans thinking it's their best sport and it being a one-off final instead of making it a "series" is what makes it unique compared to other US sports... and why it's become more than "just a final" and how it's ended up as a cultural event for a super power.

It's pretty clear I'm in the minority, but only in the USA. If you venture outside you'll find basketball and baseball are bigger sports. Ice Hockey I am unsure of, because I feel the countries it's popular in don't have enough people to compete.

2 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

It's pretty clear I'm in the minority, but only in the USA. If you venture outside you'll find basketball and baseball are bigger sports. Ice Hockey I am unsure of, because I feel the countries it's popular in don't have enough people to compete.

I know basketball is huge in China. Baseball I think people only really care about in the US, some parts of Latin America and Japan. Hockey seems to be popular in places where... playing hockey is easier (places that are bloody cold, mostly).

I know basketball is huge in China. Baseball I think people only really care about in the US, some parts of Latin America and Japan. Hockey seems to be popular in places where... playing hockey is easier (places that are bloody cold, mostly).

Basketball is huge everywhere, it just doesn't have a proper culture in any of those countries except the USA and Lithuania, but plenty of countries that only like football has it as a secondary sport. That's largely because it's simple and the most watchable of the 4, and also the most international.

Baseball is big in USA, Japan, South Korea, the Carribbean and Venezuela. Both are comfortably bigger sports than NFL.

Just now, Goku de la Boca said:

Basketball is huge everywhere

Not in the UK. And I assume most of Europe tbh, although I think it's popular in Spain.

I'll never understand how baseball or cricket have fans outside of the US or UK respectively. Awful to watch either of them.

Not in the UK. And I assume most of Europe tbh, although I think it's popular in Spain.

I'll never understand how baseball or cricket have fans outside of the US or UK respectively. Awful to watch either of them.

You're right on the UK but not in Europe. It's huge in Yugoslavia, the balkans, Spain and even some parts of Germany. Pretty big reason the 3 best players in the NBA are now European.

19 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

You're right on the UK but not in Europe. It's huge in Yugoslavia, the balkans, Spain and even some parts of Germany. Pretty big reason the 3 best players in the NBA are now European.

Super Bowl is NFL though.

Basketball is a global sport.

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

American football and basketball were invented in Canada. Hockey is an amalgamation of lacrosse which is Native American, and European stick and ball sports.

35 minutes ago, Spike said:

Some sports have better participation than viewership. I feel like basketball is one of those sports in a lot of places. 

I'd agree with that for sure.

I enjoy both, but I know when I'm out shooting hoops with other Dad's it's not often you get a lot of people that watch the NBA all that much (if at all), whereas I watch it somewhat regularly.

Whilst people are quick to moan about the time between plays in NFL, it’s an average of 25/30 seconds. What you need to remember is that every NFL is a set piece. In football, are we going to start moaning about the time it takes to get the game going again from set piece situations such as corners and free kicks whilst the clock is ticking? I just too a look at a random section of United vs Leicester from Sunday……

The ball goes out at 4:04 for a corner. Luke Shaw takes the corner kick at 4:41. 

De Gea makes a save at 7:48. The corner is taken at 8:32.

Dalot deflects for a corner at 9:45. Corner taken at 10:33.

Thats over 37 seconds, 44 seconds and 48 seconds between playing the ball again. 

In a game of set pieces, the average transition between plays is 30 seconds in the NFL. It’s is what it is (obvious exceptions are timeouts/challenges etc). The whole game is to trick your opponent and out think them in a matter of seconds per play. 

25 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

@Goku de la Boca Basketball, or baloncesto as they call it, is comfortably the second most popular team sport in Spain after football. It is also popular in countries like Lithuania and Greece.

Greek fans are crazy

Spain has a very proud history of NBA players from there.

Archived