• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Do you care about the Super Bowl?

football forum

Do you care about the Super Bowl?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

In my experience, most LA football fans are Raiders fans and Rams fans. I think the Raiders are bigger. I have no idea why xD does LA have a history of Oakland transplants? They're not even in Oakland... or California even anymore. Barely anyone likes the Chargers there... and they're pretty hated in San Diego now. Orange County still loves them though.

But the Lakers & the Dodgers are easily the 2 most popular LA teams, by a long, long, long distance.

Yeah - I wouldn't be shocked if the Clippers were more popular than the Rams/Raiders. They have a surprisingly large fan base to be so historically irrelevant.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Eco said:

Maybe so, I just read it as his critiquing non-americans for supporting an NFL team, which I was just trying to discuss with him. 

Really? I'm shocked as I know you lived (but I think moved) from Chicago, which is a massive NBA and NHL city.

I would be surprised if the NBA wasn't the second most profitable and popular sport in the US (behind the NFL). I'd rather have ST's for the Atlanta Hawks over the Atlanta Falcons, and have even considered getting them except I'm further out away from the arena.

I bet Chicago during MJ's era was insane...same with the Hawks when they were winning their 3 Stanley Cups.

To your point though, NHL is decent a niche sport that isn't incredibly popular in the US. They struggle for viewership and I can't think of a city/state where they have multiple Professional Teams and the NHL was more popular than the NFL/NBA team in the same city.

Just going off of what I think are the most popular NHL teams...

Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets > Rangers
Bears and Cubs > Hawks
Lakers > Kings
Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots > Bruins
Eagles, 76ers > Flyers

The ONLY team I think might be close, are the Red Wings, as when I was in Detroit last, I saw a lot more Red Wings gears than I did the Tigers or Lions.

But I do think their are cities where the NBA is larger than the NFL

Lakers > Chargers (although this isn't totally fair since the Chargers are new)
Suns > Cardinals
Hawks > Falcons
Heat > Dolphins

Again, these are just assumptions, but I'm positive on the Hawks and the Suns, as I've been in both cities often and they are so much larger than their NFL team it seems.

While this may seem obvious, the ONLY NHL team that I believe is more popular than their NBA counterpart is Toronto.

17 minutes ago, Eco said:

I wasn't aware you watching the NBA. Do you follow any team (I'll assume the Bulls)?

Jordan's era was fantastic. I loved him and Charles Barkley so much, but this era is so talented, although I do hate the fact that getting 100 points isn't as 'special' as it used to be.

I don't really follow it tbh, I just have a latent interest in it. I tried following it a few times but the timezones just make it too difficult to catch games live consistently.

Emotionally I still feel the most for the Bulls. I also really liked Kobe and Shaq era Lakers, but I don't really like the franchise itself with its Hollywood audience.

I thought about getting an NBA subscription but as said I don't think I'd use it much. If there was a way to watch all of Jordan's games, however... :ph34r:

46 minutes ago, Panflute said:

I don't really follow it tbh, I just have a latent interest in it. I tried following it a few times but the timezones just make it too difficult to catch games live consistently.

Emotionally I still feel the most for the Bulls. I also really liked Kobe and Shaq era Lakers, but I don't really like the franchise itself with its Hollywood audience.

I thought about getting an NBA subscription but as said I don't think I'd use it much. If there was a way to watch all of Jordan's games, however... :ph34r:

Just watch Last Dance on repeat. Absolutely amazing documentary.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

In my experience, most LA football fans are Raiders fans and Rams fans. I think the Raiders are bigger. I have no idea why xD does LA have a history of Oakland transplants? They're not even in Oakland... or California even anymore. Barely anyone likes the Chargers there... and they're pretty hated in San Diego now. Orange County still loves them though.

But the Lakers & the Dodgers are easily the 2 most popular LA teams, by a long, long, long distance.

Al Davies moved the Raiders from Oakland to LA in ‘82 but it didn’t last long. I’m guessing the support base is still there? Like San Diego with the chargers or St Louis with the Rams.

4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Al Davies moved the Raiders from Oakland to LA in ‘82 but it didn’t last long. I’m guessing the support base is still there? Like San Diego with the chargers or St Louis with the Rams.

Most Chargers fans (at least ones I know) abandoned the team when the team abandoned the city. No clue if St. Louis is the same with the rams, I suspect it is. Baltimore very famously still hates the Colts after they left - when its Ravens v Colts they don't even put the name "Colts" on the scoreboard still

2 hours ago, Eco said:

Maybe so, I just read it as his critiquing non-americans for supporting an NFL team, which I was just trying to discuss with him. 

Really? I'm shocked as I know you lived (but I think moved) from Chicago, which is a massive NBA and NHL city.

I would be surprised if the NBA wasn't the second most profitable and popular sport in the US (behind the NFL). I'd rather have ST's for the Atlanta Hawks over the Atlanta Falcons, and have even considered getting them except I'm further out away from the arena.

I bet Chicago during MJ's era was insane...same with the Hawks when they were winning their 3 Stanley Cups.

To your point though, NHL is decent a niche sport that isn't incredibly popular in the US. They struggle for viewership and I can't think of a city/state where they have multiple Professional Teams and the NHL was more popular than the NFL/NBA team in the same city.

Just going off of what I think are the most popular NHL teams...

Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets > Rangers
Bears and Cubs > Hawks
Lakers > Kings
Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots > Bruins
Eagles, 76ers > Flyers

The ONLY team I think might be close, are the Red Wings, as when I was in Detroit last, I saw a lot more Red Wings gears than I did the Tigers or Lions.

But I do think their are cities where the NBA is larger than the NFL

Lakers > Chargers (although this isn't totally fair since the Chargers are new)
Suns > Cardinals
Hawks > Falcons
Heat > Dolphins

Again, these are just assumptions, but I'm positive on the Hawks and the Suns, as I've been in both cities often and they are so much larger than their NFL team it seems.

Chicago is not a massive NBA or NHL. It is a Bulls and Blackhawks town but only when they are winning. Cubs, Bears, and White Sox get unconditional love, and that is stretching it for the Sox

The NFL probably has more fans in the UK than the other American major sports leagues because of the regularity of it. If you pick a team they have one game a week and, for the most part of it, they are on at a time on a Sunday evening that is easy enough to watch.

Basketball is by far the highest participated sport of the four, but we really are far behind the rest of Europe. They keep having potential 'relaunches' of the BBL, and talk of investors looking to expand the league and the level of talent. But really, there just is a large gap between the fan level here and in other parts of Europe. 

(Side note on Basketball. But I'm just constantly surprised that no one has seem to try and get some bigger tournaments happening in the UK. Getting something like EuroBasket or the FIBA World Cup in the UK would be such a huge boost to probably the biggest sleeping giant of a sport we could have.)

Ice hockey has probably the biggest fan base for British teams of the four sports. And seems to be rising all the time. I know my local team, from regularly going to games for the last six years, has seen steady increases in crowds and have been regularly selling out (even in a relatively small arena). But we have about 10 semi professional teams in Scotland, compared to one (potentially another starting soon) basketball team.

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

Chicago is not a massive NBA or NHL. It is a Bulls and Blackhawks town but only when they are winning. Cubs, Bears, and White Sox get unconditional love, and that is stretching it for the Sox

Yeah - that's why I said (or meant to), that I bet Chicago was amazing during the Jordan era.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Eco said:

Just watch Last Dance on repeat. Absolutely amazing documentary.

Im not an NBA fan by any means, one of my least watched sports easily but that doc is enthralling. I binged the living shit out of it, fascinating stuff.  I say that but on reflection I've been to far more live NBA games then NFL games I suppose...

9 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Im not an NBA fan by any means, one of my least watched sports easily but that doc is enthralling. I binged the living shit out of it, fascinating stuff.  I say that but on reflection I've been to far more live NBA games then NFL games I suppose...

There is also a thousand mire games in an NBA season

33 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

NBA has more games and cheaper tickets. NBA is also one of the best sports to watch live, as you can get good seats and be so close to the action. 

I think NBA does the best in US based sports with fan experience.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

NBA has more games and cheaper tickets. NBA is also one of the best sports to watch live, as you can get good seats and be so close to the action. 

NBA and MLB ticket prices are a big attraction. Last NBA game I saw was in Portland a few years back and I wanted to say we got middle tier seats for like 20$ a ticket, Baseball's pretty similar too. Last time I was in Seattle we checked out NFL tickets and they started at 200$ a ticket so we passed. 

That was the first NBA game Ive been too in quite a few years, probably since the Grizzlies left actually and I have to agree it was alot of fun live. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/02/2023 at 22:49, Eco said:

That's interesting. My mate just spent several months living in Miami – massive NFL fan (probably even more than myself). At some point he managed to attend all major leagues, and (experience wise) the NFL turned out to be least interesting one. I never really expected that, considering everything that revolves around the league, size, expectation, etc. So he loved the NBA big time, caught quite a few Heat games. But then he tried the NHL and my understanding is that it just blew everything out of the water, both there and in Tampa Bay.

On 22/02/2023 at 14:04, Goku de la Boca said:

Basketball is secondary almost everywhere. Here in Peru our second sport traditionally is volleyball but the young people try to get into the NBA in some way. It's the same almost everywhere in this continent, and I know in Europe it's similar barring a few countries like the UK.

The problem with basketball is that it doesn't have a sports culture in any of those countries. People love it, but it doesn't have the same traditions as football/baseball does in said countries. Regardless, the fact the 3 best players in the NBA are now European (Jokic, Doncic and Giannis) should say something about how the sport has grown.

I catch up with the Euroleague whenever I can. It's actually pretty nice – some massive arenas being filled, good level of play (and yet very different from the NBA in terms of style as well) and so on. Some fanbases are really really passionate.

And yeah, I tend to hang out in Spain somewhat often, so I agree with @Carnivore Chrissaid – especially after I witnessed their Eurobasket title last year. Not to mention that, apart from the Euroleague itself, let's face it, the Liga ACB is probably the biggest national one in Europe by far.

On 22/02/2023 at 14:54, Goku de la Boca said:

My comment was just a dig at the NFL and tongue in cheek. I wasn't completely joking as I do have strong feelings against this sport but the tone of it was me clearly having a tongue in cheek dig.

And for me the Super Bowl half time show is clearly a ratings trap. I really do not mind half time shows as long as they stick to the proper time limit. In the Super Bowl this isn't the case and it just feels so artificial to me.

Out of curiosity, have you tried watching college football?

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bravado said:

Thanks @nudge, it's nice to see some familiar names around here!

Yes, I remember you from the old forum, there's plenty of us still around! Good to see you finding your way back too :D 

Archived