talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Local Clubs You Want To See Do Well

football forum

Basically other clubs in the country you want to see so well that isn't the main one that you're invested in. I'll go first

- Deportivo Zuñiga

I work there. In my time I've seriously felt an affection for the club and want them to do well. I know most of the players well personally and hope that they can match Cantolao in the Copa Peru and gain promotion sometime soon.

- Sport Loreto

My reasons for this are purely until they get promoted to the Primera. They are a jungle team in the segunda which we have very few of, based in Pucallpa and they get decent attendances and are based in an area that needs more national attention. I do hope they go back up sometime soon.Them or CNI.

- Deportivo Independiente Miraflores

My family has always been Mirafloreno. There is no club more local to me than DIM.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take an interest in Everton, Liverpool and Tranmere (following city of Liverpool a bit too). Tranmere and Everton I want to do well but it's a bit of a stretch to say I want Liverpool to do well, but I like to see the city doing well so I suppose I can cope with their success, as unlikely as it maybe.

29 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why don't you support DIM then? Any reason behind it?

As Cannabis said, my father has always been an Universitario fan. Same with his father, his brother and his sister. DIM are also a nothing club, not even Mirafloreno's know they exist.

My mentality is a bit stricter than that though, if I had began following football today and knew who they were, I probably still would not have supported them, as they play in the third tier which can be an extremely short season. Its distrital - municipal - departamental - national. If they go out in the distrital stage, then I'd have to go a few months less than a year without being able to see my team play. This hasn't been a problem for DIM in the past few years as they usually go as far as the national stage, but it won't always be like that if they continue to fail to get promoted. I'd like them to do well but I can't go as far as to support them. Mostly due to family reasons though.

12 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I take an interest in Everton, Liverpool and Tranmere (following city of Liverpool a bit too). Tranmere and Everton I want to do well but it's a bit of a stretch to say I want Liverpool to do well, but I like to see the city doing well so I suppose I can cope with their success, as unlikely as it maybe.

Are you from Liverpool and just live in Hull out of curiousity?

I've been to Liverpool and its a lovely city. Windy but totally worth it.

1 hour ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Are you from Liverpool and just live in Hull out of curiousity?

I've been to Liverpool and its a lovely city. Windy but totally worth it.

Other way round.

Yeah, it's a great city. Pop into Hull if you get chance, doesn't get a fair chance in th media.

Unfortunately there's no "support the local club" culture in Portugal.

All football below 2nd division is pure thrash for that reason. Local clubs pay minimum wage or less to their players... those who pay at all that is. People just pick one of the TV clubs. Nothing like League One.

Luckily for me, Benfica is actually the closest club to where I live, so I'm not a glory hunter :ph34r:

• Administrator

Bedford Town and Luton Town. 

MK Dons is also quite nearby but not so keen on wanting them to do well. 

Cambridge as well I look out for results but couldn't really tell you much about them or their team right now. 

7 hours ago, Machado said:

Unfortunately there's no "support the local club" culture in Portugal.

All football below 2nd division is pure thrash for that reason. Local clubs pay minimum wage or less to their players... those who pay at all that is. People just pick one of the TV clubs. Nothing like League One.

Luckily for me, Benfica is actually the closest club to where I live, so I'm not a glory hunter :ph34r:

Really? Shame about that, I used to look out for Oriental just because of the name. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Local clubs are Rangers, Fulham and Chelsea and I definitely don't want them to do well.

At a push Id say Hayes &a Yeading as I played for Yeading once upon a time

where the fuck do you live :ph34r: 

No local team here in the MLS. Atlanta is by far my local team, and while I think they old Atlanta Silverbacks are still kicking about from time to time, I don't really pay much attention to them. 

I want all the south west teams to do well. Think it would be amazing if afc Wimbledon got in the premier league. Use to like Newcastle but not so keen now because I think their fans are delusional and treat managers badly. 

On 23/07/2017 at 11:12 AM, Bluebird Hewitt said:

No one cares about the Welsh league really, so mainly keep an eye out on the results for Newport and Exeter (the latter isn't really local but it's not the other end of the country either. That and I visit the area every 3-4 months). 

I've always thought the Welsh and Irish leagues are weak in comparison to their national sides. I guess they loose a lot of player's to England 

There's a couple of local clubs in particular that I'd like to see do well but no sides that I really don't wish well, in all honesty. 

I go to a few Bishop's Stortford games a year and always look out for their results and I hope that Redbridge, not to be mistaken with Dagenham & Redbridge, do well, too. Redbridge have a decent bar that allows you to see the match from the comfort of the bar if you get the right table and they have a decent terrace behind the goal and serve decent burgers. Plus it's incredibly cheap there (£7 last time I went) and you always see a load of goals (went twice last season and saw 12 goals) despite a lack of quality. 

For Tyneside/Northumberland local clubs every now and then I will check where Gateshead are in the table. That is about it. Maybe i'll have a look at the lower league's than that but I don't follow in any real way.

For local London clubs I couldn't give a shit.

• Subscriber

Would back any club in this county. The problem is they're by and large awful. The next highest club in Leicestershire after Leicester is Barwell, who came 14th in the 7th tier, closely followed by Coalville Town who came 17th.

Hinckley United were in the 6th tier play-offs a few years ago but lost to Farsley Celtic (who are actually now in a league with Barwell & Coalville). Hinckley have since gone bust and have this strange situation where they've reformed as two different clubs, Leicester Road FC who play at Hinckley's old ground, and Hinckley AFC who play about 10 miles away in a little place called Heather. Makes no sense to me at all. I used to go to Hinckley every now and then and Leicester always used to play there pre-season.

I think Loughborough under-achieve. It's a town bigger than a few in League Two and is the home of a university that strongly emphasises on sport. Not going to pretend I know the ins and outs but I get the feeling they could be a lot more than what they are.

Archived