talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 1-3 Man City - Wednesday 15th February, 2023

football forum

• The title was changed to Arsenal 1-3 Man City - Wednesday 15th February, 2023
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, MUFC said:

Should Arsenal be worried? 1 point from 9 even so they have a couple of games in hand. They were in a commanding position for top 4 last season but crumbled at the end.

I think they have truly bottled it, no stopping City now! It would need a miracle Arsenal have lost a decent lead and dropped points.

Arsenal did compete it wasn't a blow out, the difference was the goals city didn't score in the second half at old Trafford to put man United down and out, they scored them against arsenal with some help of some uncharacteristic defending by arsenal. 

City were clinical and that was the difference between the teams.

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

I think they have truly bottled it, no stopping City now! It would need a miracle Arsenal have lost a decent lead and dropped points.

That cunt of a striker for Arsenal never even hit the target with his 2 headers yet bagged the one chance he had against us.

• Subscriber

I think my previous confidence in Arsenal wasn't just them being very good but it was Man City looking a bit ropey this season. I feel what's happened in the past fortnight has riled them up and that's a problem. Genuinely wouldn't put it past them to go and win every remaining game or something stupid.

15 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I said that years ago. It's a mechanism of capitalism. There is a 'best product' and it will rise to the top, and when it does it will strangle the competition down.
City have the money, and they make good decisions, both long and short term. Other teams with this money are run by imbeciles (Chelsea and United) and teams with the owners and staff capable of making good decisions (or those who accidentally do sometimes) don't have the money to operate on their level. 
City are like a mix between the long term intelligence of Bayern, and the money of PSG. 

City appointing Txiki was the greatest signing they ever made after the new lawyer they just brought in. 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Yeah I think this league is officially not far off a Bayern/PSG situation now.

Hasn't it been like that for a long time?

In the 70s, we had one club win it 4 times & another club win it twice, with Arsenal, Leeds, and Forest sprinkled in once.

In the 80s, we had one club win it 6 times (the same club that won it 4 times the decade prior, and coincidentally... the best football club in the world), their shittier bluer neighbor winning it 2 times, Villa and Arsenal sprinkled in to spare the non-Scousers of the UK from some embarasment.

Then in the 90s, we had 3 different winners and then there's the breakaway from the football league which went:

United 6 times, Arsenal once, Blackburn once.

Then in the 00s, we have United winning it 5 times, Chelsea 3, Arsenal twice.

Then the 10s are maybe the most diverse: City 4 times, United & Chelsea twice, then Leicester.

Then 2020, City twice + us for the first time since before the breakaway.

German football's got less diverse winners than us sure... but we're not that far away from them and really haven't been for decades. 

6 hours ago, MUFC said:

That cunt of a striker for Arsenal never even hit the target with his 2 headers yet bagged the one chance he had against us.

You are talking about Nketiah? Yep terrible. Arsenal fans have been moaning about him guess the Can't wait for Jesus to return.

Arteta should learn few things on tweaking the tactics, looks like he treated City like any other team. City's press was relentless and it was alarming how many times Arsenal lost the ball just outside their own box. City would have easily scored 1-2 more and the scoreline would have been a lot more brutal. None of the backline tried to clear the ball and tried to do their pretty and cute passing amongst themselves in their own box. In my opinion you dont do that against a top top team like city as they will press and get the ball wherever, if they want to. All the possession and Arsenal couldnt get out of their own half. 

Arteta should have been a little pragmatic and taken the draw, that way arsenal would have gotten a point and also stopped city from gaining an additional two points. Just park the fucking bus and clear the ball. Very disappointed with the way Arsenal lost but at the same time kudos to arteta and the team overall for what they did so far this season.

9 minutes ago, Juniper said:

You are talking about Nketiah? Yep terrible. Arsenal fans have been moaning about him guess the Can't wait for Jesus to return.

A few religions are waiting for this moment.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Hasn't it been like that for a long time?

In the 70s, we had one club win it 4 times & another club win it twice, with Arsenal, Leeds, and Forest sprinkled in once.

In the 80s, we had one club win it 6 times (the same club that won it 4 times the decade prior, and coincidentally... the best football club in the world), their shittier bluer neighbor winning it 2 times, Villa and Arsenal sprinkled in to spare the non-Scousers of the UK from some embarasment.

Then in the 90s, we had 3 different winners and then there's the breakaway from the football league which went:

United 6 times, Arsenal once, Blackburn once.

Then in the 00s, we have United winning it 5 times, Chelsea 3, Arsenal twice.

Then the 10s are maybe the most diverse: City 4 times, United & Chelsea twice, then Leicester.

Then 2020, City twice + us for the first time since before the breakaway.

German football's got less diverse winners than us sure... but we're not that far away from them and really haven't been for decades. 

Germany had 6 winners in the 90s (double the prem) and 5 in the 00s (more than the prem). Just 4 in the 80s (same as prem) 
Bayerns always been dominant, but the absolute dominance is a recent progression. 

3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Germany had 6 winners in the 90s (double the prem) and 5 in the 00s (more than the prem). Just 4 in the 80s (same as prem) 
Bayerns always been dominant, but the absolute dominance is a recent progression. 

I looked at Germany's too and I couldn't be arsed the count them but it looked like similar numbers of winners up until 2010 when Bayern just start running away with things. In the 70s, Bayern "only" won it 3 times too. The 2010s look good from a "competitive" perspective for the prem, but really only other than Leicester winning it that one year... if you account for United's decline & City's rise, it ends up looking like a changing of the guard of who the most dominant side was.

But on the whole, I don't think there's much difference between our league being dominated by the wealthiest clubs and other leagues being dominated by the wealthiest clubs. It seems to me like most "big" leagues are "farmers leagues" tbh.

• The topic was unpinned
15 hours ago, MUFC said:

A few religions are waiting for this moment.

I think Arsenal could do with divine inspiration but will probably get the wrong Jesus back

Jesus Biglebowski GIF - Jesus Biglebowski GIFs

Sadly I think that result proves Arsenal have reached their zenith although a bounce back win against Villa could put them on track.

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I looked at Germany's too and I couldn't be arsed the count them but it looked like similar numbers of winners up until 2010 when Bayern just start running away with things. In the 70s, Bayern "only" won it 3 times too. The 2010s look good from a "competitive" perspective for the prem, but really only other than Leicester winning it that one year... if you account for United's decline & City's rise, it ends up looking like a changing of the guard of who the most dominant side was.

But on the whole, I don't think there's much difference between our league being dominated by the wealthiest clubs and other leagues being dominated by the wealthiest clubs. It seems to me like most "big" leagues are "farmers leagues" tbh.

It has been mentioned before but a salary cap is a useful incentive but how would it be implemented is anyone's guess but it would level the playing field, we assume? However, a very difficult proposition now the clubs are bigger and more powerful than the governing bodies (Fifa is just corrupt). 

2 hours ago, Juniper said:

It has been mentioned before but a salary cap is a useful incentive but how would it be implemented is anyone's guess but it would level the playing field, we assume? However, a very difficult proposition now the clubs are bigger and more powerful than the governing bodies (Fifa is just corrupt). 

You’d have to implement it worldwide or by each continent. And ensure the oil clubs don’t just cheat it. Think that’s difficult to implement and enforce.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You’d have to implement it worldwide or by each continent. And ensure the oil clubs don’t just cheat it. Think that’s difficult to implement and enforce.

Yes very true and that means Fifa and we know what happens there.

23 hours ago, Asura said:

Arteta should learn few things on tweaking the tactics, looks like he treated City like any other team. City's press was relentless and it was alarming how many times Arsenal lost the ball just outside their own box. City would have easily scored 1-2 more and the scoreline would have been a lot more brutal. None of the backline tried to clear the ball and tried to do their pretty and cute passing amongst themselves in their own box. In my opinion you dont do that against a top top team like city as they will press and get the ball wherever, if they want to. All the possession and Arsenal couldnt get out of their own half. 

Arteta should have been a little pragmatic and taken the draw, that way arsenal would have gotten a point and also stopped city from gaining an additional two points. Just park the fucking bus and clear the ball. Very disappointed with the way Arsenal lost but at the same time kudos to arteta and the team overall for what they did so far this season.

I don't see City breaking 90 points this season. It is still very much in Arsenal's grasp. 

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

I don't see City breaking 90 points this season. It is still very much in Arsenal's grasp. 

I think they have to beat us at the Etihad now to stand a chance, the team has come to life at the right time, we normally finish season's very strongly 

Archived