talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Extraterrestrial Life

football forum

Do you believe intelligent life exists outside of Earth?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are aliens real?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure/Don't care/Never thought about it

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

We have debates on planet earth and believers and nonbelievers is there such a thing as God, it's the same as saying whether is there life on other planets somewhere in the Universe, then the answer to both debates is yes, no one has seen god, and the only images we see are of men's creation by pen and paper.

Somewhere up there is another life created by another God whatever, you have to believe in something, we die and as they say, we go to heaven or we are reborn in another time, plants like daffodils die and then in spring they come back to life all over again.

There has to be life up there somewhere and I would love to see them before I die and then see my God if there is one, belief is the creation of all mankind. 

Why so much certainty there is even a God?

'You have to believe in something'. You have to? What about atheists or agnostics? Why do you have to believe in a god? You believe you go to heaven or are reborn in another time, that's fair enough. But not everyone has to. The same goes with alien/intelligent life on another planet. Fair if you believe in it, but to say others have to believe it is wrong in my opinion. 

The answer isn't 'yes' by default just because there is a willingness by some to believe in god. 

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

Why so much certainty there is even a God?

'You have to believe in something'. You have to? What about atheists or agnostics? Why do you have to believe in a god? You believe you go to heaven or are reborn in another time, that's fair enough. But not everyone has to. The same goes with alien/intelligent life on another planet. Fair if you believe in it, but to say others have to believe it is wrong in my opinion. 

The answer isn't 'yes' by default just because there is a willingness by some to believe in god. 

Atheism and agnosticism are still beliefs.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Atheism and agnosticism are still beliefs.

True, but I meant in believing in a god, as in there are alternatives to believing in god/something, and that is not to believe in god.

I've listened to lots of what Brian Cox thinks about space stuff. Not just his BBC TV shows. You can find bits of him on YouTube too. And he often sounds undecided. But edging toward that we may be quite special.

He has described somewhere how often it's thought that dinosaur asteroid events happen. And it I remember right, they think it's very similar to the time we think humans have been around for.

So there's not just the problem of travelling to where alien life could be. There is also the problem that, assuming there are planets with life, within Earth like orbit zones, basically dinosaurs could be much more frequent than we are. With our growing ideas about how to detect & deflect planet destroyers.

11 hours ago, Stan said:

Evidence, really. And weirdly as has been mentioned, I don't think we'll ever know in our lifetimes either way. 

Also, I think it's important to point out what we believe 'aliens' to be. What do you see an 'alien' as? The green characters from The Simpsons? ET? Or just a form of intelligent life, and how intelligent? 

As discussed in the other thread, I think there's an element of microbial life that has lived on other planets or in other galaxies based on probability. But life as we know it for humans, I'm not so sure. 

Absence of evidence of something doesn't necessarily mean that thing doesn't exist though. I think in most cases, like say Santa Clause, sure you can say "we don't have any evidence he exists" but we've also got the ability to go all around the North Pole and explore it. That's pretty different from space, where we've found evidence of habitable planets outside our solar system... but we haven't got the means to conduct surveillance or explore those planets. We simply are unable to get that evidence.

To me "alien life" is just life that's from a planet that's not earth. It could be anything from single celled organisms, to those green characters from The Simpsons, to some sort of fish looking thing on another planet. But imo the shit from TV and films is all just from someone's imagination. I imagine possible life on planets that may have habitable conditions would probably look a bit like life on earth but a bit different because they evolved on a different planet.

I think intelligent life is the harder one to define - some people say that it's the ability to learn and understand things. But does that make squirrels or racoons intelligent life? Or are we talking about something more like humans.

For me, the evidence of other planets out there likely having conditions like earth on at least a large part of that planet... with the very little we know and understand about space... makes me think it's likely there's probably a planet where alien life is possible. And I just think it's incredibly unlikely with how big space is that we are the only thing out there that's like us. It's possible. It's also just as possible that there's life out there that's evolved around the same rate as us and if that's the case it's no wonder we haven't made contact with them. Because if they do exist, I think they surely don't exist in our solar system so they have the same issues of technological limitation and the sheer vastness of space if they ever were to find us.

And on your last point, by saying "I'm not so sure" I think I've gotten what I wanted from this debate xD - because earlier you were pretty definitive that aliens/intelligent life doesn't exist on other planets and all I was saying was: with what we know now, I think it's impossible to be certain about it.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Absence of evidence of something doesn't necessarily mean that thing doesn't exist though. I think in most cases, like say Santa Clause, sure you can say "we don't have any evidence he exists" but we've also got the ability to go all around the North Pole and explore it. That's pretty different from space, where we've found evidence of habitable planets outside our solar system... but we haven't got the means to conduct surveillance or explore those planets. We simply are unable to get that evidence.

To me "alien life" is just life that's from a planet that's not earth. It could be anything from single celled organisms, to those green characters from The Simpsons, to some sort of fish looking thing on another planet. But imo the shit from TV and films is all just from someone's imagination. I imagine possible life on planets that may have habitable conditions would probably look a bit like life on earth but a bit different because they evolved on a different planet.

I think intelligent life is the harder one to define - some people say that it's the ability to learn and understand things. But does that make squirrels or racoons intelligent life? Or are we talking about something more like humans.

For me, the evidence of other planets out there likely having conditions like earth on at least a large part of that planet... with the very little we know and understand about space... makes me think it's likely there's probably a planet where alien life is possible. And I just think it's incredibly unlikely with how big space is that we are the only thing out there that's like us. It's possible. It's also just as possible that there's life out there that's evolved around the same rate as us and if that's the case it's no wonder we haven't made contact with them. Because if they do exist, I think they surely don't exist in our solar system so they have the same issues of technological limitation and the sheer vastness of space if they ever were to find us.

And on your last point, by saying "I'm not so sure" I think I've gotten what I wanted from this debate xD - because earlier you were pretty definitive that aliens/intelligent life doesn't exist on other planets and all I was saying was: with what we know now, I think it's impossible to be certain about it.

Fair. In the same vein that we're simply unable to get the evidence for those other planets outside of the solar system, I also can't fathom how anyone can have 'certainty' that there is intelligent life/alien away from here.

'I'm not so sure' is just semantics!

And on the final point, as much as it's impossible to be certain about there being no life elsewhere, I think it's also impossible to be certain that there is extra-terrestrial life. With what we known, it's impossible to be certain about it. That's pretty much my viewpoint. I'm definitive that 'aliens' don't exist in the form of life like us or different kinds of creatures that have had some evolving nature about them. 

When it comes to other organisms or microbial/bacterial 'life', possibly. But that's not really 'aliens' or 'extra-terrestrial life', is it?

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Absence of evidence of something doesn't necessarily mean that thing doesn't exist though.

I badly wanted a reason to post yet another gem from the Boondocks, and thanks to you, I now am able to! xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

When it comes to other organisms or microbial/bacterial 'life', possibly. But that's not really 'aliens' or 'extra-terrestrial life', is it?

Of course it is, why not? Life is life. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stan said:

Fair. In the same vein that we're simply unable to get the evidence for those other planets outside of the solar system, I also can't fathom how anyone can have 'certainty' that there is intelligent life/alien away from here.

'I'm not so sure' is just semantics!

And on the final point, as much as it's impossible to be certain about there being no life elsewhere, I think it's also impossible to be certain that there is extra-terrestrial life. With what we known, it's impossible to be certain about it. That's pretty much my viewpoint. I'm definitive that 'aliens' don't exist in the form of life like us or different kinds of creatures that have had some evolving nature about them. 

To your last point: I would classify microbial/bacterial life not from earth as aliens tbf. Definitely "extra-terrestrial life" because it absolutely fits that definition: living & not from earth. But again, without definitively saying either way (because I don't think I have really), I think it's probable that there's more evolved life out there in the universe.

Imo it's probable based on the vastness of space and what we know about: 1.) what makes life possible on earth, 2.) the number of possibly habitable planets we've discovered with the little we know. You expand that to what we think we know the size of the galaxy is and that's probably a shitload of planets that are possible for life as we know it to exist. With all that possibility out there, I just don't think it's likely we're the only ones out there. Even if we learned everything about our solar system and could definitively say "there's only been microbial life on some other planets, but that's it" we still would have barely scratched the surface of what we know about what's going on for the rest of our universe that isn't earth.

It's like assuming that because there's one very rare sort of fish in one part of a massive ocean, there can't be another incredibly similar rare sort of fish in another part of a massive ocean... just because all you've got to see what's in the ocean at any point in time is a very short fishing line from standing off a pier. It could be right, but there's no possible way you could confidently rule out finding a similar fish until you've got better tech for seeing what's in the ocean.

It's certainly possible we're the only thing like us out there in the huge vastness that is outer space... I just doubt it because of how vast it is. If there's rare conditions that need to be met for a planet to have any sort of habitability... and there's evidence of those other planets existing very far from us... I think it's just probable there's life like us.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Alien life exists for sure... They say the Universe is expanding and moving further away and I reckon it's because all the other intelligent beings have taken one look at earths shit show through the centuries and thought "fuck that" so they have decided to move everything further away from us just to be safe... 

Now this is by far my favourite cosmological theory xD 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

download.png

How aliens will actually make first contact with humanity, a scientist explains

The head scientist in the international Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence committee explains how Earth's introduction to extraterrestrials would most likely unfold.

The year is 2063 and brilliant scientist Zefram Cochrane has just carried out the first successful test flight of a ‘warp engine’, unlocking the seemingly impossible possibilities of faster-than-light travel.

The warp signature is detected by a nearby Vulcan ship, the crew of which determine that humanity has finally matured enough for first contact. And that – in the universe of Star Trek – is how we become aware of the existence of aliens.

“I don’t think you could rule out such a scenario,” says Prof Michael Garrett, director of the Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics and the current chair of the International Academy of Astronautics Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (IAA SETI) Permanent Committee.

“Any alien civilisation is likely to be significantly more advanced than we are. They could be cloaked.”

According to Garrett, our knowledge of intelligent alien life is more likely to come from an observatory receiving an extraterrestrial signal rather than the sudden arrival of a ship.

In that scenario, organisations signed up to SETI have their own first contact protocol.

“The first step is verification of the signal by an independent observatory,” says Garrett, who explains that the discovery should be kept secret until wider verification takes place.

The discoverer’s government, and eventually the United Nations, should then be informed, with the news of the contact announced to the public soon after. That is, at least, how it is meant to go.

“Whether the protocol would actually be adopted, I have some doubts,” says Garrett.

“If the signal is information-rich, for example, I think that has much larger consequences than a signal that just points towards there being an intelligent civilisation somewhere out there.

"It will have a value that will become understood by governments very quickly. On some level, scientists have to protect themselves.

"What is written in the protocols may not be what happens in practice.”

Depending on the nature of the alien signal, or whether we would even be able to understand or translate it, there is also the question of whether we would respond.

“It is very difficult to stop people transmitting signals into space,” says Garrett. “And if you had a really advanced civilisation out there, it might not take a lot to transmit a signal that they could detect.

"You will no doubt have small groups of enthusiasts and amateurs that would send signals. But what entitles any group, individual or country to send out messages on behalf of the whole planet?

"That’s where the United Nations’ involvement is important, although currently the UN does not have a view on this.”

In Star Trek, the revelation that we are not alone, that intelligent life exists beyond the stars, leads to a profound change in how the human race sees itself.

It becomes more enlightened, more unified and ultimately more motivated by exploration than war or greed. Whether we would react in the same way remains to be seen, however.

“I think a lot depends on distance,” says Garrett. “If the aliens are within the Solar System, then I think people will be worried. But if they’re on the other side of the Galaxy, I think people would be excited by that.

"Some religious organisations may need to change their doctrines, but most religions are pretty good at accommodating things as they arise.

"I would like to think that if we find another civilisation out there, that it would accelerate our own political maturity, ethics and morality.

"But that’s the beauty of Star Trek – it gives us something to aspire to.”

https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/first-human-contact/

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction

On 14/02/2023 at 13:02, Beelzebub said:

I was thinking of starting this thread. Yes I'm also sure that there is life (intelligent or not) on another planet. Species go extinct and new ones are found all the time on our planet alone we fully haven't discovered all the life that exists/existed on Earth yet.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Upvote 2

There may well be and I'm certainly not one of these that labels it a load of old rubbish but ultimately, it feels a bit like the Loch Ness Monster situation for me.

Until I see it, I'm not sure I can fully believe it.

I think sometimes we underestimate how easily we can be fooled into seeing something that really isn't there.

• 6 months later...
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

E.T. looks dehydrated. 

Guess he didn't make it home, after all :( 

In all seriousness, I am very skeptical about this. The dude responsible for the finding has already had issues with credibility in the past, and this looks way too conventional sci-fi alienoid. Definitely needs to be verified independently

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Guess he didn't make it home, after all :( 

In all seriousness, I am very skeptical about this. The dude responsible for the finding has already had issues with credibility in the past, and this looks way too conventional sci-fi alienoid. Definitely needs to be verified independently

Yea, it looks like your typical Alien humans would come up with. 

• Subscriber

download.thumb.png.dbcb084a381c9c2ac6bf289eb3120f8a.png

Mexico 'alien bodies': Those viral artefacts get lab tests  << VIDEO

Last week Mexico held its first ever congressional hearing on the subject of UFOs, where UFO enthusiast and journalist Jaime Maussan produced two artefacts he claimed amounted to evidence of "non-human" life.......