talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Craig Shakespeare, To Be Or Not To Be, That Is The Question

• Administrator

The correct decision for me. The only decision, actually. Stabilise temporarily after the uproar of sacking Ranieri dies down. Plus, if an assistant manager wins his first 2 games, scoring and playing freely, as caretaker manager, I'm not sure what more they can do. He seems to be Leicester through and through having been here for a number of years already.

More important games coming up, too. West Ham away, then Stoke and Sunderland at home. Shakespeare is in the best position to help us avoid relegation I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39193031

Shakespeare as permanent manager though - to be or not to be?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Shakespeare to pull a DiMatteo

imagine how much the world will be rustled and rattled by that because Ranieri didn't get to do it with the club xD. Can't wait.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I think people would be proud rather than rattled. Don't be so self centered.

there's bound to be some journalists and fans of other clubs berate us for not giving Ranieri a chance to complete the CL journey. Guaranteed. 

I know there'll be a lot of admiration for it at the same time like when we won last season, but look at the reaction of sacking Ranieri. That's what I'm pointing at.

• Subscriber

I don't think it takes a genius to work out that we did make the right call, and to be honest, the only argument you'd say really is that we should've done it sooner.

It's easy to see why we were criticised but far too many people appeared to get it into their heads that we were moaning because we weren't at last years heights but that's simply not the case. It's one thing regressing, it's another going from the champions to the worst team in the league (and we were for me). We were a sinking ship and it had reached the point for me where he was actually doing damage.

Shakespeare has set them up so much like last year that it makes you wonder if he had a far bigger impact last season than he'll ever get credit for.

6 goals and 6 points in 2 games under him so far. Put that against the 5 points and 3 goals we had in the final 10 under Ranieri, it's quite damning.

I think Shakespeare's taken some utterly ludicrous stick as well. Pundits calling him a snake are ignorant and clueless. He's got the players believing in themselves again. Throw all of the running stats you like out there but his tactics are part of that reason.

It really is a no-brainer to keep him on until May. Sadly though I think after then he'll probably leave us entirely as I'd imagine he will keep us up with comfort and he won't be offered the job. I'm convinced our owners' obsession with getting in a "name" manager is going to blow up in our faces eventually. So much of our success is built on the backroom team yet I don't feel they'll ever get the credit they deserve.

But if we are going to move on from this regime, then we have a lot of time to really identify the right man. It's a luxury having this much time to get someone in and we need to deliver.

I quite like the look of Roger Schmidt. Don't know how realistic that is.

• Subscriber

Lovely stuff.

The only shame is I can't see us offering him the job in the summer regardless of how he does (unless he pulls off a miracle) and I think that, should be keep us up, will see him depart the club entirely. It's a shame because he's loved by the players and has been a great coach. Very under-rated for what he's done here like Walsh was up until probably a year ago.

Said it earlier in the thread but I quite like the look of Roger Schmidt. All went a bit tits up this season but he'd be quite a good fit I think, plays similar kind of football to us, brings youngsters through, got the calibre the owners are probably looking for - his stocks probably taken a hit too so I don't think it's that unrealistic. Could be wrong.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Dan said:

Lovely stuff.

The only shame is I can't see us offering him the job in the summer regardless of how he does (unless he pulls off a miracle) and I think that, should be keep us up, will see him depart the club entirely. It's a shame because he's loved by the players and has been a great coach. Very under-rated for what he's done here like Walsh was up until probably a year ago.

Said it earlier in the thread but I quite like the look of Roger Schmidt. All went a bit tits up this season but he'd be quite a good fit I think, plays similar kind of football to us, brings youngsters through, got the calibre the owners are probably looking for - his stocks probably taken a hit too so I don't think it's that unrealistic. Could be wrong.

I think that's what he would have wanted to discuss before signing anything. 

An agreed amount of compensation if another club wants him or if finishing a certain place, maybe gets offered the permanent job. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, StanLCFC said:

I think that's what he would have wanted to discuss before signing anything. 

An agreed amount of compensation if another club wants him or if finishing a certain place, maybe gets offered the permanent job. 

Make no mistake if he keeps us up comfortably (and I will go on record now saying he will get us about 12th) he should be definitely considered, setting out a plan to how he intends to take us forward.

The concern I have is based on a rumour I heard that the media pressure of the last couple of weeks got to him a bit. That doesn't really bode well for the long run. Gives the impression that Premier League management isn't really for him.

In an ideal world for me he keeps us up and goes back to being assistant to someone like Schmidt but I can't see that all feeling into place.

• Administrator

perhaps. he has to learn one day though!

To be honest, the media pressure would have got to a lot of people because of the state we were in.

• The title was changed to Craig Shakespeare Confirmed As Leicester Manager Til End of Season
  • Subscriber
On 3/7/2017 at 8:55 PM, Dan said:

Shakespeare has set them up so much like last year that it makes you wonder if he had a far bigger impact last season than he'll ever get credit for.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10800449/how-craig-shakespeare-was-at-heart-of-leicesters-premier-league-win

I really do think he had a bigger impact last year than people realise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/08/craig-shakespeare-nigel-pearson-has-told-go-full-time-leicester/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

King Nige giving his backing to Shakespeare to get it permanently.

I am wary about interim managers but I don't think our form under him is a new manager bounce in the sense they're fresh ideas. We have returned to a formula that we know works. It's a bit different.

I'm beginning to think it's the obvious choice.

He definitely deserves it permanently, the turnaround has been excellent and you were heading down under Ranieri in my opinion. He seems a decent sort too, no arrogance and very honest.

It's a certainty for me.

Archived