talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester City to pay £52m for Benjamin Mendy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

£51m quoted. Crazy. We sold him for €13m and a year on despite some off days he's sold for a fortune. I get why Pep wants him, but he's really still quite raw in terms of talent.

14 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

About £100m on a pair of fullbacks.

There must be fluoride in the water at Eastlands :ph34r:

Marketing strategy, force the value up on the top players so only the top 5% can afford them and offend the poor people at the same time ;)   ..it's about time we get this done as we don't have a single LB at the minute

39 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Marketing strategy, force the value up on the top players so only the top 5% can afford them and offend the poor people at the same time ;)   ..it's about time we get this done as we don't have a single LB at the minute

Top players never went anywhere but the top 5% anyway.

I think it is more about how you got beat off Tottenham and Monaco last year, if you can't beat them, buy them :ph34r:

3 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Top players never went anywhere but the top 5% anyway.

I think it is more about how you got beat off Tottenham and Monaco last year, if you can't beat them, buy them :ph34r:

We hammered Monaco, hence why Bernardo Silva, Mendy & Mbappe want to leave them for us ;)

3 hours ago, 6666 said:

Over £50m on a new Gael Clichy. Crazy.

The old ones broke and money is just numbers on paper to a club of our wealth

17 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

We hammered Monaco, hence why Bernardo Silva, Mendy & Mbappe want to leave them for us ;)

You hammered them then signed one of their defenders? Why didn't you sign Mike Williamson off us a couple of years ago :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Batard said:

Former Marseille protege no less

I know who he is mate...  I was making a point to Happy Blue because when last season ended he thought it was all going to be about flashing the money and as many clubs are finding out, you can flash all the money you like because it takes a lot more than just that.  It's not only the extortionate amounts clubs are having to pay which means we've reached the status quo I thought we'd reach when so much money started coming into many other clubs, but also the players you go for want to see you're going to build something strong around it all.

I want to see three years worth of what we're now seeing this summer.

Not only that mate...  How do you feel mate when Ligue1 suddenly looked to be showing the inklings of a recovery after last season to now have those clubs raped by everything in Europe?

The only reason Mbappé hasn't moved yet is because AS Monaco know they can get even more than has already been offered because other wise he'd have been gone too.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I know who he is mate...  I was making a point to Happy Blue because when last season ended he thought it was all going to be about flashing the money and as many clubs are finding out, you can flash all the money you like because it takes a lot more than just that.  It's not only the extortionate amounts clubs are having to pay which means we've reached the status quo I thought we'd reach when so much money started coming into many other clubs, but also the players you go for want to see you're going to build something strong around it all.

I want to see three years worth of what we're now seeing this summer.

Not only that mate...  How do you feel mate when Ligue1 suddenly looked to be showing the inklings of a recovery after last season to now have those clubs raped by everything in Europe?

The only reason Mbappé hasn't moved yet is because AS Monaco know they can get even more than has already been offered because other wise he'd have been gone too.

First off, with the exception of Bernardo Silva the transfer fees Monaco brought in for Mendy & Bakayoko after ONE very good season were eye opening. The talent was never in doubt but Mendy is never worth what City paid for him. Certainly not yet. Monaco have a solid business model under the Russians and they've played a blinder, the three players they sold cost less than €50 to buy in and have a made an exceptional profit. 

The Mendy transfer rankles because we sold him so cheaply and it's just the fucking way of things at Marseille. We let go of talent cheaply and replace it with aging players with questionable motivation. But that's another story altogether. In terms of for Ligue 1 it's not so bad, yes it weakens Monaco and you'd struggle to see them retaining the title but it does open the doorway for more young talent to get first team football. 

Monaco are under no pressure to sell Mbappe as it stands, I would certainly expect him to stay put in France for another season unless a huge transfer at a club like Real or Bayern creates the financial means for a club to make an offer. As it stands, I don't see any club being prepared to meet Monacos demands. And rightly so. He needs another season. 

Throwing 50 mil for a player who may be decent but is too raw to really be considered at this point. It's like between Walker and this guy for how much they are spending they are handing Chelsea the trophy.

• Subscriber

Pep is such a fraud - easy management when you can just spend hundreds of millions on players each time. Try actually coaching them - something he's forgotten how to do. 

16 minutes ago, Storts said:

Pep is such a fraud - easy management when you can just spend hundreds of millions on players each time. Try actually coaching them - something he's forgotten how to do. 

I've said this for years...

To be fair to Guardiola it's not like City just had poor full-backs. They had ageing full-backs that were clearly past their peaks.

Kolarov and Zabaleta didn't need coaching, in terms of quality they were already champion-level, but physically they just weren't up to it any more.  

Big clubs spend big money to win silverware, he's overhauling half the team because they're not up to it anymore. United, Chelsea and City have all spent £100m+, when was the last time anyone won silverware consistently in England and done it on peanuts?

Archived