talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester City to pay £52m for Benjamin Mendy

15 hours ago, Storts said:

Pep is such a fraud - easy management when you can just spend hundreds of millions on players each time. Try actually coaching them - something he's forgotten how to do. 

Alright big Sam xD

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Danny said:

Big clubs spend big money to win silverware, he's overhauling half the team because they're not up to it anymore. United, Chelsea and City have all spent £100m+, when was the last time anyone won silverware consistently in England and done it on peanuts?

I mean, obviously it wasn't consistent, and maaaaybe you could legitimately say it was a fluke, but Leicester. Obviously they weren't poor either.

This transfer market is insane, I never thought I'd see 2 fullbacks go for just over £100m. I do wonder if any of this big spending is strategic, as it prices out a lot of foreign clubs and only the very richest in England can get the most hyped players.

I don't think Pep is a bad manager, his record speaks for itself, but the pressure is well and truly on him after this. It's obviously much different for him than his last 2 jobs, where he had 1 real domestic competitor, to last year when 6 clubs were competing for the top 4. And this year, Everton now have money and have improved on some of their weaker points in the squad - so they may be ready to step up and make it 7 clubs fighting for top 4.

After spending this much, I think the only way Pep can meet the pressure is to deliver a league title or the CL.

Archived