talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Would becoming a millionaire change you as a person?

football forum

Personally it wouldn't change me but is this easier said than done? I've seen people come rich in life and turn into complete utter stuck-up tits. Not all of them but the majority did. Personally I'd never want to be anything or anyone else. Being honest I wouldn't even tell anybody apart from close family. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I'd likely become more suspicious and even less trusting. 

Other than that, I'd like to believe it wouldn't change me, but I think it's almost inevitable tbh, unless you manage to keep it secret even from friends and extended family and continue to live your life the way you did, without your lifestyle reflecting your riches. 

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'd likely become more suspicious and even less trusting. 

Other than that, I'd like to believe it wouldn't change me, but I think it's almost inevitable tbh, unless you manage to keep it secret even from friends and extended family and continue to live your life the way you did, without your lifestyle reflecting your riches. 

Biggest mistake you can make is to advertise it. Some might try keeping it quiet but brand new cars, clothes and house might give things away.

• Subscriber

I often think about this, I wouldn't want it to change me and I would try and keep it a secret but that would be hard when I am living in a second-floor council flat and suddenly buy a £200,000 mansion with a big telescope conservatory in my back 1-acre garden. O.o 

So for those of you that didn’t know, I hit 5 numbers and the bonus back in 2008 with work. Nothing life changing but an amount that immediately saw me able to have a once in a lifetime holiday, buy a few things for the house etc. However, my cousin immediately rang me and asked to ‘lend’ him over 1k for something. People need to get in the bin.

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

So for those of you that didn’t know, I hit 5 numbers and the bonus back in 2008 with work. Nothing life changing but an amount that immediately saw me able to have a once in a lifetime holiday, buy a few things for the house etc. However, my cousin immediately rang me and asked to ‘lend’ him over 1k for something. People need to get in the bin.

Moments after that call...

how-do-i-hide-my-money-0pmvorqozs54egcy.

• Subscriber

I would try and think of ways at buying things but not letting on than I had millions, one way I thought of is tell people that an uncle of mine had died and left me millions in a will, problem is friends might buy that but close family like nieces & nephews would say " Uncle WHO?...never knew we had an uncle by that name..." :shutup::eek:

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I would try and think of ways at buying things but not letting on than I had millions, one way I thought of is tell people that an uncle of mine had died and left me millions in a will, problem is friends might buy that but close family like nieces & nephews would say " Uncle WHO?...never knew we had an uncle by that name..." :shutup::eek:

Why make up a story or entertain the conversation? Just let them know it's none of their business really :what:

I'd like to think I wouldn't change drastically, as I always grew up grounded and with a working class background. 

But yea, I don't think I'd tell many people about it. I'd also be very careful how I spend the money. My mom's cousin won 1,5 Mio Euros once and pissed it all away. Now she's in debt working as a cleaner or something. 

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Stan said:

Why make up a story or entertain the conversation? Just let them know it's none of their business really :what:

Not our way, Stan, we would more than likely give some money out to close family and maybe close friends, but me and the wife said if we won something like 80-90 million on the Euro then a good few million would go out to cancer research and Dr. John Barnardo's Orphan Children's Homes. :) 

I don't think if I were to win a million dollars tomorrow my life would change all that much, maybe take an extra holiday or two.

Now, if I were to win some 500m, then things would obviously change, we'd probably buy a house overseas on the coast, and maybe just invest the majority of the rest. But at this stage in my life, I feel like all the horror stories and headaches I keep hearing from people who win the lottery makes me think that my life's just fine without all the drama.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Not our way, Stan, we would more than likely give some money out to close family and maybe close friends, but me and the wife said if we won something like 80-90 million on the Euro then a good few million would go out to cancer research and Dr. John Barnardo's Orphan Children's Homes. :) 

What do you mean 'not our way'?

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Stan said:

What do you mean 'not our way'?

Other people have ways of doing things but we don't, some people who win a lot of dosh would say "fuck off, you get nowt from us" and carry on spending all to themselves whereas others would like to help others out who are in genuine need of things.

A good example was our daughter texting us and saying Kaiden was asking if he could have some dosh for a toy he spotted off his monthly pocket money we give him off my pension due next week, my way was just giving him the dosh and won't take it as an advance from his pocket money next week. :D

Isaiah 55:8, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.”

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Other people have ways of doing things but we don't, some people who win a lot of dosh would say "fuck off, you get nowt from us" and carry on spending all to themselves whereas others would like to help others out who are in genuine need of things.

But you said you'd like to them and make up a story about where the money came from or that not letting on that you had money?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

But you said you'd like to them and make up a story about where the money came from or that not letting on that you had money?

That was just a thought that I would never do anyway, just curious, would you help out or donate some dosh to charity if you won millions? if you won millions on the Euro would you buy a top-class player for Leicester and pay their wages for the contract and time they signed for? :D 

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

That was just a thought that I would never do anyway

I know it was just a thought xD 

But I'm just trying to work out whether you'd lie about the millions to your family, hide the fact you have millions from them, or give money to close family and friends. It's confusing :what:.

19 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

would you help out or donate some dosh to charity if you won millions?

Probably.

I'd donate to charities that have had a hand in helping out my family in the past over the years. LOROS, Cancer Research, local hospital trusts, MIND.

20 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

if you won millions on the Euro would you buy a top-class player for Leicester and pay their wages for the contract and time they signed for? :D 

Not sure what this has to do with anything.  

That's a hard one.... I would like to think it wouldn't change me but I certainly think it's inevitable to some degree, Having a lot of money like those people that win millions then yes because it must be hard to judge how do you handle it??? and by that I mean do you try and keep it secret so you don't get lot's of unwanted attention or do you try to be generous with it?? It would change your whole outlook and thinking... 

I remember reading a story about this bloke that won a huge amount and decided to buy his neighbours houses as a gift for each of them because they lived on the same street and they were all good mates but a few years after that happened he slowly fell out with all of them one by one and it led to problems and he said that it gave him nothing but grief.. When he did it he was labelled a flash harry but if he didn't he would have been labelled a miserable skinflint so he felt he couldn't win... 

I very much doubt a million would change me at all though, just a nice little nest egg really and something I could allocate out to the Grandkids upon my demise, or take a few decent holidays. I would probably carry on working but knowing I could walk at any time and not have to worry about my finances.. It wouldn't last that long if you were buying property and the like though unless you were buying mansions for 200K like @CaaC (John) then you could by 3 or 4 for that price.. 

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

That's a hard one.... I would like to think it wouldn't change me but I certainly think it's inevitable to some degree, Having a lot of money like those people that win millions then yes because it must be hard to judge how do you handle it??? and by that I mean do you try and keep it secret so you don't get lot's of unwanted attention or do you try to be generous with it?? It would change your whole outlook and thinking... 

I remember reading a story about this bloke that won a huge amount and decided to buy his neighbours houses as a gift for each of them because they lived on the same street and they were all good mates but a few years after that happened he slowly fell out with all of them one by one and it led to problems and he said that it gave him nothing but grief.. When he did it he was labelled a flash harry but if he didn't he would have been labelled a miserable skinflint so he felt he couldn't win... 

I very much doubt a million would change me at all though, just a nice little nest egg really and something I could allocate out to the Grandkids upon my demise, or take a few decent holidays. I would probably carry on working but knowing I could walk at any time and not have to worry about my finances.. It wouldn't last that long if you were buying property and the like though unless you were buying mansions for 200K like @CaaC (John) then you could by 3 or 4 for that price.. 

Tell me where these mansions are located. 200k for one is a real bargain 😉

• Administrator
1 minute ago, MUFC said:

Tell me where these mansions are located. 200k for one is a real bargain 😉

All the ones @Bluewolf has done garden projects on. That's how much they get devalued after he's been involved :ph34r:

Archived