talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TF365 Quiz 8 - Champions League 2016/17

football forum

• Subscriber

Please make sure you have read the Guidelines and FAQ before taking part in the Quiz League - this will only take you two minutes.

Quiz League Round 8 - Champions League 2016/17

Pretty much what it says on the tin here, a test of your short-term memory with ten questions quizzing you on the various stages of last season's Champions League, from the latter qualifying rounds all the way through to the final. My gut feeling is that this quiz could potentially be the highest-scoring round yet. Have fun and good luck!

Click Here to take the quiz!

Access Code: KG7XJ

Round 8 Deadline: Tuesday 25 July 18:00 (UK Time)

Remember! Do not give away answers in this thread until they have been revealed after the deadline!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

In the midst of moving house today and tomorrow so don't expect a new quiz until at least Wednesday. Quite a few still to take this one so I'll leave it open and do the usual notification when I'm 24 hours or so from closing it. 

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, Cannabis said:

My folks fly out there on Saturday, I love all of the Yugoslavian countries. 

Where exactly are you mate? 

It's gorgeous, currently in Korcula, arrived this morning from Dubrovnik, then going to Hvar and Split

• Subscriber

I now have results from the regulars so I'll be moving onto the next round now. Here are the results for Number Eight:

Quiz 8 Answers

1) Which player scored Juventus’ only goal in the Champions League final?

C – Mario Mandzukic. The Croatian’s acrobatic effort to level the game at 1-1 was about as good as things got for the Italians in Cardiff. 100% answered correctly.

2) Who was the top-scoring player from an English side in last year’s Champions League?

D – Sergio Aguero. City’s Argentine striker scored 8 goals, his tally inflated by hat-tricks against Steaua Bucharest in the qualification play-off, and Monchengladbach in the Group Stage. 50% answered correctly.

3) Leicester surprised many with their run to the quarter-finals of the Champions League. Which of the following players did NOT score in either leg of their 3-2 aggregate win over Sevilla?

A – Danny Drinkwater. Vardy scored an important consolation goal, giving the English champions a lifeline after trailing 2-0 in Spain, while Morgan and Albrighton were on target in the home leg to complete an impressive turnaround by the Foxes. 56% answered correctly.

4) Ajax reached the Europa League final after being knocked out of the Champions League in the qualifying play-off round. Which of the following teams were knocked out at the same stage?

C – Roma. The Italians were beaten 4-1 on aggregate by Porto in the final qualifying stage. Celtic overcame Isreali Hapoel Be’er Sheva in their own play-off tie, while Benfica qualified for the Group Stage automatically and went on to advance to the Knockout stages. 75% answered correctly.

5) With Ajax knocked out of the Champions League, PSV Eindhoven were the only team flying the Dutch flag in the Group Stage. Where did they finish in their group?

D – 4th. PSV entered a Group of Death including Atlético Madrid and Bayern Munich who both beat the Dutch side home and away. It was something of a surprise though that Rostov, courtesy of their surprise win over Bayern, also managed to finish ahead of PSV in Group D. 50% answered correctly.

6) Celtic suffered the heaviest defeat of anyone in the Group Stage, losing 7-0 to which side?

A – Barcelona. Brendan Rodgers’ men were humbled at the Nou Camp, Messi’s hat-trick helping the Spanish side on their way to a dominant victory. 88% answered correctly.

7) Borussia Dortmund’s 8-4 win was the highest-scoring game in the Group Stage last season – who were their opponents in this match?

C – Legia Warsaw. Shinji Kagawa and Marco Reus each netted a brace in this thrilling encounter between the Germans and the Polish side. 81% answered correctly.

8) The first leg of Dortmund’s quarter-final match was suddenly postponed after an explosion outside their team bus. Who were their opponents?

D – Monaco. The eventual French champions went on to win the first leg match 3-2 after it was rescheduled for the following day, helping them to progress to the last four. 94% answered correctly.

9) Only one tie in the entirety of the knock-out stages was decided on away goals. Who were the victors of this tie?

C – Monaco. A thrilling 5-3 win for Manchester City over Monaco at the Etihad Stadium seemed to give Guardiola’s men the upper hand in this last 16 clash. However, a 3-1 win for Monaco in the return leg allowed them to go through courtesy of their three away goals after the aggregate score ended at 6-6. 81% answered correctly.

10) Arsene Wenger earned the ire of the Arsenal support when his side was beaten 10-2 on aggregate by Bayern Munich in the last 16. Which Bayern player did NOT find the net in either leg?

C – Franck Ribery. The French winger stepped back from goalscoring duties in this tie despite his side bagging ten goals. Arjen Robben was on target in both legs, Thomas Muller scored the fifth and final goal in Arsenal’s Allianz Arena capitulation, while Arturo Vidal scored the final two goals of this one sided contest at the Emirates Stadium. 50% answered correctly.

Results

5979fc8838a34_Quiz8Results.thumb.png.3624eb27a369bb9dccb83e8e08c29d59.png

A high-scoring round, won by @Dan who scores a perfect 10 with his late entry. @Stan, @Lucas and @Storts also score highly in the continuing battle at the top of the overall standings.

• Subscriber

2 and 10 were the only ones I wasn't 100% on, although I did assume Aguero and thought 10 was a toss up between Muller & Ribery, naturally I went for Ribery as Muller seems to score a lot.

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, Dan said:

2 and 10 were the only ones I wasn't 100% on, although I did assume Aguero and thought 10 was a toss up between Muller & Ribery, naturally I went for Ribery as Muller seems to score a lot.

Thats the funny thing, he really didnt score much last season! but he did get at least one tap and so did Vidal. I knew it was Ribery or Robben and i was like ah maybe Robben but as soon as i posted here i remembered that screamer he scored from the top of the box.

Personally i didnt remember who scored for you guys at all, i completely guessed at that one.

Disappointed I didn't get 10. But it's my own fault, I didn't read Question 4 correctly. Thought it was the Group Stage of the Champions League and not the qualifying round which made me put Celtic. Oh well, 9 is still pretty good. Really enjoyed that one.

Archived