talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(CL R16) - Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid - Tuesday 21st February, 2023 (1st Leg)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope we actually see some new faces come in this summer because tbh I think we need a clear out.

That was obvious in the summer. That midfield needed work. The defence being poor had been the main surprise. Nunez is a good player but investing so much in him didn't make sense with the midfield the way it was. Following that up with the signing of Gakpo in January was also strange. Obvious issues in the squad weren't dealt with.

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Bringing Nunez & Gakpo off for two slow attackers is an insane call so early in the second half. There is next to no pressure on their defenders now. They can just walk it about. 

Don't worry here comes James Milner to try to patch things up

Just now, 6666 said:

That was obvious in the summer. That midfield needed work. The defence being poor had been the main surprise. Nunez is a good player but investing so much in him didn't make sense with the midfield the way it was. Following that up with the signing of Gakpo I. January was also strange. Obvious issues in the squad weren't dealt with.

I think players like Gomez, Matip and even VVD haven't done anywhere near enough to demonstrate that they should be regulars in a side hoping to have actual ambition this season. Bizarre because Matip was brilliant last season, though Gomez was pretty uninspiring. And VVD's just rapidly declining by the looks of things. Never was the same player after his injury, but not so consistently terrible like he's been this season. They've all been rubbish. Fabinho's completely passed it. Henderson's so hit or miss. Milner's very clearly on his last legs. Maybe addressing the midfield would make the CB issue look less terrible than it is right now. But as things stand right now, the CMs and CBs all need some pretty heavy upgrades.

Just now, Rick said:

And Matip. Depressing. 

I like Matip more than Gomez, who's just been a horror show all season. None of our regular CBs have been any good all season though, tricky for Klopp to deal with even if he wasn't insanely loyal to his players.

28 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

On the plus side, we might be losing but we're not anywhere near as shit as I thought we'd be against Madrid.

I hate Madrid and all of their players though.

Why weren't you this shit in the semi finals in 2019?

Liverpool's record vs Spanish teams under Klopp is shocking, and the one time they put on a classic performance, it had to be that game in 2019.

Just now, Carnivore Chris said:

Why weren't you this shit in the semi finals in 2019?

Liverpool's record vs Spanish teams under Klopp is shocking, and the one time they put on a classic performance, it had to be that game in 2019.

The team wasn't shite and passed it then xD - that was a genuine world class team up against a pretty poor side being carried by Messi.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

An away game with a 3 goal deficit. I'm not sure this team can make a comeback. They'll score a goal or two for sure but so with Real. 

This team has no chance of scoring three without reply at their spot. The second half was the worst we have been all season. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Rick said:

This team has no chance of scoring three without reply at their spot. The second half was the worst we have been all season. 

I don't think team believes it has a chance here forget the fans. When they won the league there was a sense that even if they were two goals down they believed they were capable of a comeback. Now, two goals in and they get deflated. If Real score first in the return leg they'll run riot on the defense.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Do away goals count in this? Because that's probably the final nail for Liverpool with that scoreline. 

I think it was the final nail when it was 2-2 (if away goals count), no way we're turning around a 3 goal deficit regardless of away goals though. We can't defend and our midfield is basically just an 18 year old.

Can't wait for this season to be over.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think players like Gomez, Matip and even VVD haven't done anywhere near enough to demonstrate that they should be regulars in a side hoping to have actual ambition this season. Bizarre because Matip was brilliant last season, though Gomez was pretty uninspiring. And VVD's just rapidly declining by the looks of things. Never was the same player after his injury, but not so consistently terrible like he's been this season. They've all been rubbish. Fabinho's completely passed it. Henderson's so hit or miss. Milner's very clearly on his last legs. Maybe addressing the midfield would make the CB issue look less terrible than it is right now. But as things stand right now, the CMs and CBs all need some pretty heavy upgrades.

Think Milner, Ox, Keita, and Melo will all be out of contract in the summer. Then there's Henderson who'll be 33 & Thiago who'll still be injury prone. Can see Ox or Keita being offered a new contract just so you don't need to buy so many players.

Curtis Jones was supposed to be the next big thing, what's gone wrong with his development?

Just now, 6666 said:

Think Milner, Ox, Keita, and Melo will all be out of contract in the summer. Then there's Henderson who'll be 33 & Thiago who'll still be injury prone. Can see Ox or Keita being offered a new contract just so you don't need to buy so many players.

Curtis Jones was supposed to be the next big thing, what's gone wrong with his development?

Curtis Jones hasn't kicked on at all and keeps getting injured. I hope Keita and Ox are not offered new contracts at all. Any random kid from the academy would be more useful if we don't want to buy so many players.

FSG's shit planning for the future has our immediate future fucked up. The squad has more holes than FSG can fill in one summer, it's going to take years to fix the state of this squad. So it's wasting time we've got with Klopp and Salah under contract as we're not going to be any good for a while probably.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Danny said:

Who got tired of updating the scoreline in the thread title? xD

I wasn't watching the 2nd half but it appears other staff couldn't be arsed to do it. 

• The title was changed to (CL R16) - Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid - Tuesday 21st February, 2023 (1st Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived