talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Europa League 2022/23 Knockout Play-offs - Thursday 23rd February, 2023 (2nd legs)

football forum

• Administrator

1200px-UEFA_Europa_League_(football_comp

all kick-offs GMT

(1st leg scores in brackets)

Thursday 23rd February, 2023
Midtjylland (1) vs (1) Sporting Lisbon, 17.45
Monaco (3) vs (2) Bayer Leverkusen, 17.45
Nantes (1) vs (1) Juventus, 17.45
PSV (0) vs (3) Sevilla, 17.45

Union Berlin (0) vs (0) Ajax, 20.00
Man Utd (2) vs (2) Barcelona, 20.00
Rennes (1) vs (2) Shakhtar Donetsk, 20.00
Roma (0) vs (1) RB Salzburg, 20.00

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nantes beating Juventus would be glorious.

Hope Sevilla don't collapse.

Union Berlin vs Ajax is tasty, and I'd love to see either go through honestly.

I don't care for Manchester United nor Barca, but I'll definitely watch.

Playing such a big game within 2 days of a Cup final is a bit of a nightmare really. Last thing we will want is extra time and that's a real possibility.

Do wonder if ETH will gamble on resting the likes of Varane and Shaw.

17 minutes ago, Devil said:

Playing such a big game within 2 days of a Cup final is a bit of a nightmare really. Last thing we will want is extra time and that's a real possibility.

I'm definitely hoping for extra-time and penalties 😂

3 hours ago, Devil said:

Good luck scoring. Barca's defense have allowed some 7 goals in the league this year, so it wouldn't shock me if they were able to play back and give you lot few if any good scoring opportunities.

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Good luck scoring. Barca's defense have allowed some 7 goals in the league this year, so it wouldn't shock me if they were able to play back and give you lot few if any good scoring opportunities.

On the other hand, they allowed 12 goals in 6 matches in the CL and another two in the first match,. So they were netted against twice per European match- that's hardly a  defensive bulwark, if we're honest.

3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

On the other hand, they allowed 12 goals in 6 matches in the CL and another two in the first match,. So they were netted against twice per European match- that's hardly a  defensive bulwark, if we're honest.

Bayern alone put 5 past Barcelona in 2 matches without reply. Man Utd are the stronger team for me, but it just depends on how focused they are on winning this match.

52 minutes ago, Michael said:

Bayern alone put 5 past Barcelona in 2 matches without reply. Man Utd are the stronger team for me, but it just depends on how focused they are on winning this match.

It's almost as if you are unaware teams can improve. You are referencing 2 games that were 4-5 months ago.

9 minutes ago, Eco said:

It's almost as if you are unaware teams can improve. You are referencing 2 games that were 4-5 months ago.

You referenced Barcelona only conceding 7 goals all season, the season started 6-7 months ago. Just going by what you referenced. Yes, I am aware that teams improve, but I don't think that Barcelona have drastically improved since Bayern outclassed them. They pretty much have the same players. They've been dominant in the league all season and they've hardly conceded any goals, yet this hasn't been the case in Europe, which I think was the point that @Rucksackfranzose was making. The fact is that their defence hasn't conceded many goals all season domestically(only 7 goals as you pointed out), but in Europe, they've leaked a lot. That's something to analyse, whether it was 4 months ago against Bayern or a week ago against Man Utd.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

You referenced Barcelona only conceding 7 goals all season, the season started 6-7 months ago. Just going by what you referenced. Yes, I am aware that teams improve, but I don't think that Barcelona have drastically improved since Bayern outclassed them. They pretty much have the same players. They've been dominant in the league all season and they've hardly conceded any goals, yet this hasn't been the case in Europe, which I think was the point that @Rucksackfranzose was making. The fact is that their defence hasn't conceded many goals all season domestically(only 7 goals as you pointed out), but in Europe, they've leaked a lot. That's something to analyse, whether it was 4 months ago against Bayern or a week ago against Man Utd.

Barcelona have improved a shit ton since the CL groups. They were kind of struggling at a few points, especially at around that time. Now they are on something like a 6-7 win streak in la Liga? Also Araujo's injury early in the season didn't help them much, which is a sloppy cop out I'm aware, but he really is class.

3 hours ago, Michael said:

They have changed dramatically, which I think is evident if you watch them.

They are playing MUCH better under Xavi, and whereas earlier in the year, it was basically ter Stegen vs. the world, it's not more of a team effort that has shown massive steps forward.

You mention United, did you watch the game? Did you notice that Xavi rested two of his better defenders in Andreas and Alejandro? Instead he played Alonso who was a liability all night despite scoring one of the goals.

Things change, people and teams adapt. Barcelona might let up a handful of goals, as anything is possible this sports, but you suggesting Barcelona hasn't improved all that much from their Munich tie months ago, just leads me to believe that you don't want Barcelona...like at all.

4 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

But they back line has changed since then, so really what they did against Munich shouldn't really even be considered.

As I mentioned above, Xavi rested two of their starters in the first tie against United, so I'll be curious as to what the match looks like as I would be SHOCKED if Xavi did play his go to back line that has seen so much success (and shutouts) recently.

• The title was changed to Europa League 2022/23 Knockout Play-offs - Thursday 23rd February, 2023 (2nd legs)
1 minute ago, N U F C said:

Juventus killed the tie early on, thought there could have been an upset on the cards in that one.

The red card in this game is one of the worst I've ever seen. No way could he have known the ball was going to hit his hand whilst on the floor.

What are the refs expecting of these players, removal of their arms.

1 minute ago, Devil said:

The red card in this game is one of the worst I've ever seen. No way could he have known the ball was going to hit his hand whilst on the floor.

What are the refs expecting of these players, removal of their arms.

Just got in a turned it on so haven't seen it yet, hopefully get a look at half-time.

PSV score to go up 1-0 on the game, but are still down 1-3 overall.

Surely they aren't going to comeback in just 13 minutes, BUT Sevilla have had a horrible and unlucky year, so it'd be somewhat fitting for them.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived