talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cold Snap - Lowest Temperatures In Your Lifetime?

football forum

Winter is coming, at least for us in the southern hemisphere.

Pretty simple one this. In Lima, the lowest I've experienced is 10 degrees and that was this past winter, which was the coldest in a 30 years if I recall correctly. The problem with winters here is the humidity make it feel much colder than it really is. Also no heaters so whenever it drops below 10 it can get a bit chilly.

In Peru, the lowest for me was in Huancayo when I last went in 2017. It was 1 degrees celsius at 6/7 AM and then it went up to like 18 thanks to the strong sun of the Andes.

In Canada, the worst we got where I'm from was -40 on some years. I'd be amazed if anyone on here barring Spike can beat that. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw this map, and jesus fucking christ. 3 degrees in Puerto Maldonado is insane. For context, Madre De Dios is all Amazon Jungle which in theory, should never get that cold and is close to snowy temperatures. The rest don't shock me that much, but -28 is close to being one of the coldest temperatures in the entirety of the southern hemisphere.

Invierno es la estación donde se registran las temperaturas más bajas a nivel nacional. Foto: Senamhi

• Subscriber
58 minutes ago, Stan said:

-8 or -9. Either recently, or that 'Beast from the East' we had a few years ago around Jan/Feb time. 

Same here from what I can remember, other than that it was when I did skiing in my army days in Bavaria but I can't remember the temp.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Eco said:

It reached 4 F here in Atlanta this year.

In Russia, -25 C wasn’t crazy uncommon 

I love it how you used both temperature units in one post xD Any chance of doing it in Kelvin, too? :ph34r:

I am actually surprised at the high temperatures we're getting in this thread. I know the UK having anything below -15 not being common, but jesus are winters there that mild?

In Canada we've gotten 3 years in my lifetime where it went to -40 in Toronto and most years it goes to -25.

2 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

I am actually surprised at the high temperatures we're getting in this thread. I know the UK having anything below -15 not being common, but jesus are winters there that mild?

In Canada we've gotten 3 years in my lifetime where it went to -40 in Toronto and most years it goes to -25.

UK winters are much milder than Scandinavian, East European, and Central European ones, because the UK are surrounded by the sea.

• Subscriber

Being out West it doesnt get that cold here but the last few winters have been pretty cold. It hit about -10 this year, the main difference is its a wet cold as we're by the water. Much colder then the -20, -25 Ive dealt with in Calgary (AB) for example or even Edmonton. Kind of off topic but I actually plan on getting winter tires as its been a more common trend in the last 3 years or so of getting decent winters with snow. Used to only happen maybe once every 5 years or so and maybe a few days or a week of dealing with the snow but not anymore it seems. 

2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

UK winters are much milder than Scandinavian, East European, and Central European ones, because the UK are surrounded by the sea.

Scandinavian winters don't really strike me as that brutal either. Apparently the record low in Tromso is -18?

You Europeans have it good.

3 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Scandinavian winters don't really strike mas that brutal either. Apparently the record low in Tromso is -18?

You Europeans have it good.

Don't know, where you got that from? No idea, what's the lowest temperature in Tromsö, still doubt you're correct, since here in Saarbrücken, southwest Germany the record is -27C, and we're not even that high.

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

Don't know, where you got that from? No idea, what's the lowest temperature in Tromsö, still doubt you're correct, since here in Saarbrücken, southwest Germany the record is -27C, and we're not even that high.

442a44e3edb7d075367af289f3cc9f3b.png

It's not that shocking and has to do with streams or some shit. It's colder up in Svalbard, but even there it pales in comparison to even as far down as Calgary in Canada.

3 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

442a44e3edb7d075367af289f3cc9f3b.png

It's not that shocking and has to do with streams or some shit. It's colder up in Svalbard, but even there it pales in comparison to even as far down as Calgary in Canada.

Well, to be fair, since Tromsö is at the seaside, Vancouver is a much fairer comparison than a Continental climate city like Calgary.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Malta 1.4 C° :D One of the reasons I love(d) going there. Even in October I usually had fantastic weather and warm temperatures. 

I thought the same about Crete, and then a few months later I was freezing my ass off in a house without heating 🙄 xD 

4 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Mate there's a reason Canada's got a stereotype for being fucking freezing compared to most other places in the world xD

Archived