talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Spanish Music

football forum

What's your take on it? Did it explode in popularity in your country after Despacito?

Obviously in Peru Spanish music is popular, it feels needless to say. More interestingly, reggaeton exploded in popularity in Canada after Despacito. It seems to be a fad as it does feel like it's beginning to fall slowly again, but a few artists like Maluma and J Balvin were both very popular.

I know in the UK and Australia that Despacito was a one-off. In Canada though it became very popular after that, and it was mostly because us Latino's finally got a bit more attention and we started dominating the party, pretty much. With how many of us were about in the USA and Canada, it makes sense. Also a lot of the best artists in all 3 genre's come from The Bronx, especially the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. So technically it's American music anyways.

My take is that I ONLY ever listen to Spanish music. I have a few bands I still go back to in English, but all my music now is Bachata, Reggaeton, Cumbia, Merengue and Salsa. Even Argentine rock still gets the spotlight from me.

Also, I just wanted to throw in that Bad Bunny IS the biggest star in the world right now, but that's only because of his massive popularity in the USA I think.

• Subscriber

I think Buena Vista Social Club is the only Spanish-language music that I've been coming back to again and again over the years, to be honest. Other than that, in the past I used to listen to quite a bit of Manu Chao (if French-Spanish counts), Ska-P, Soda Stereo, Héroes del Silencio, Canto del Loco, Café Tacvba, Extremoduro, Los Planetas and some others that I can't remember anymore.

I spent 3 months living in an apartment hotel in Tenerife last year, and the place used to be full of high schoolers/students on weekends; full-on party mode, blasting loud music until police arrived, every single time xD They had some decent Spanish tunes there.

2 hours ago, nudge said:

I think Buena Vista Social Club is the only Spanish-language music that I've been coming back to again and again over the years, to be honest. Other than that, in the past I used to listen to quite a bit of Manu Chao (if French-Spanish counts), Ska-P, Soda Stereo, Héroes del Silencio, Canto del Loco, Café Tacvba, Extremoduro, Los Planetas and some others that I can't remember anymore.

I spent 3 months living in an apartment hotel in Tenerife last year, and the place used to be full of high schoolers/students on weekends; full-on party mode, blasting loud music until police arrived, every single time xD They had some decent Spanish tunes there.

If you like Soda Stereo, give NTVG a listen. They are Uruguayan and like to mix reggae with rock. Not so much in the below song, but they are very good.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

If you like Soda Stereo, give NTVG a listen. They are Uruguayan and like to mix reggae with rock. Not so much in the below song, but they are very good.

Yeah, pretty decent!

• Upvote 1

On 24/02/2023 at 06:42, Goku de la Boca said:

How have I not heard this one. Rauw Alejandro is very popular here.

I don't really like Reggeaton if I'm honest mate. It's generally pretty terrible, but some songs are good. Such as this:-

It's very popular in many parts of Spain these days in the clubs, etc(atleast on the coasts), as there are more Latin Americans there than ever. 

Personally I would say the best music in Spanish are the more traditional types of genres. 

One for @Dr. Gonzo:-

On a serious note, that's actually a fantastic song and very true. Mexican music from Sinaloa is very catchy to be honest.

On 24/02/2023 at 11:49, SirBalon said:

I haven't listened to Spanish music in quite some time and I don't know why. It is a catchy tune. ;)

You have become too "Londonised" mate :ph34r:

Edited by Carnivore Chris

23 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I don't really like Reggeaton if I'm honest mate. It's generally pretty terrible, but some songs are good. Such as this:-

It's very popular in many parts of Spain these days in the clubs, etc(atleast on the coasts), as there are more Latin Americans there than ever. 

Personally I would say the best music in Spanish are the more traditional types of genres. 

One for @Dr. Gonzo:-

On a serious note, that's actually a fantastic song and very true. Mexican music from Sinaloa is very catchy to be honest.

You have become too "Londonised" mate :ph34r:

Tbh mate, I'm a bit old for things like Reggeaton lol.  But even back in the day when it came onto the scene in Spain, I found it to be quite misogynistic.  Treating women like they're some kind of experiment tool.

On 26/02/2023 at 11:40, SirBalon said:

Tbh mate, I'm a bit old for things like Reggeaton lol.  But even back in the day when it came onto the scene in Spain, I found it to be quite misogynistic.  Treating women like they're some kind of experiment tool.

Yeah I'd say that's why I don't like it myself. 

As for the misogyny though, it seems as though women like the genre the most ironically xD. In saying that many of the new and popular artists actually tend to be women. So it's likely changed in that regard. 

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Yeah I'd say that's why I don't like it myself. 

As for the misogyny though, it seems as though women like the genre the most ironically xD. In saying that many of the new and popular artists actually tend to be women. So it's likely changed in that regard. 

Not all women are feminists though. Some don't really care about it, or maybe they are like me and care more about the melody and instrumental than what is actually being portrayed in the lyrics.

5 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Not all women are feminists though. Some don't really care about it, or maybe they are like me and care more about the melody and instrumental than what is actually being portrayed in the lyrics.

I was saying I don't like it more due to the "getting too old" part rather than the misogyny. I grew up listening to 90s hip hop so I'm sure I don't get offended by lyrics mate. 

Another reason is because it's like what pop music is in English. It's just catchy type of music. 

• 2 months later...