Top Scorer - Marcus Rashford (5)

NEWCASTLE - Road to Wembley
2nd Round - Tranmere 1-2 Newcastle
3rd Round - Newcastle (p)0-0 Crystal Palace
4th Round - Newcastle 1-0 Bournemouth
Quarter-Final - Newcastle 2-0 Leicester
Semi-Final 1st Leg - Southampton 0-1 Newcastle
Semi-Final 2nd Leg - Newcastle 2-1 Southampton

Top Scorer - Joelinton/Sean Longstaff (2)

Team History in EFL Cup

MAN UTD
Last EFL Cup Final - 2017 - Man Utd 3-2 Southampton
Times Won - 5
Runners-Up - 4

NEWCASTLE
Last EFL Cup Final - 1976 - Man City 2-1 Newcastle
Times Won - 0
Runners-Up - 1

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I'm not gonna lie, a huge fuck up from him would be hilarious. 

He's tall, blonde, attractive and rich. He doesn't need any favors. 

Have you seen who he’s shagging? Guy might have lost his chance at being considered a decent keeper, but I doubt he gives a fuck - life’s been pretty good to him.

Also fuck both of these clubs, no love for either of them - in an ideal world both could lose. But fuck Man Utd in particular.

come a long way in a short space and am really proud of the team.   we go into the game in sub optimal form against a team loaded with players that have won major trophies and in great form.

if we show the same character and fight we did against Liverpool with 10 men, we will make it uncomfortable, but on quality we are still short of depth.   if we have a bench where we can bring on Willock, Longstaff, Almiron, Burn and Targett rather than Murphy, Ritchie, Lewis, Anderson then we would be more well set, but that is still a couple Windows away.

it will be a great day out and hopefully more to come.   a win would be a massive upset but I don't feel like we have the experience of big games in our team

Would love Howe to get the win at this stage in the journey. He is the spirit of Robson reborn at this club.  

A month ago we'd fancy it but now a lot less so. Still, Bruno is back, his absence a big reason behind our worsening form. 

Karius will be called upon for at least 3 or 4 big moments in the game. 

What's missing for us of late is being clinical. The chances are being created.

It's going to be a tight affair, Nick Pope missing is pretty big, and Man Utd will be favourites. 

But since February 4th, Man Utd have played SIX games with little rotation whilst Newcastle have played just Three.

They have had all week to prepare for this, they should be very well rested. I know form wise you'd dare not back against Man Utd right now but I just wonder if Newcastle will have a bit more in the legs for this game.

That fact shouldn't be dismissed.

Only just realised Karius is actually the Number 3 keeper. Dubravka had been on the bench lots recently, but was one of this seasons numerous Prem-to-Prem mysterious player loans. And played an early round for Man United.

I wouldn't begrudge Newcastle a trophy. I've seen them runners up in a few things. In fact 4 consecutive seasons in the 90's of 2 league runners ups & 2 FA Cup runners ups. The 70's last time they won this cup. The 50's the FA Cup. And near enough a century since a league title.

everyone puts to much stock on this loss of form.   xG has us 13 goals below where we should be and finishing has been an issue but chances created remains in the top 6.   

against Liverpool we opened them up time after time with 10 men, we dominated Leeds, palace and on the balance had more chances than our opponents in the West Ham and Bournemouth game which is the only one I think was a poor performance.

at some point these chances are going to find the net again and this stupid mantra that we are a park the bus team is going to fall flat.  

we are struggling to finish games off right now, but a cup final is a bit of a new opportunity.   man United go in favourites but we should not be written off

They have played a lot of games recently which plays into our hands somewhat. Bruno back in is huge for us and it'll give the team a lift too.

We are obviously second favourites but I do think we have a chance. Keeping Rashford quiet is huge.

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

What's really good for Newcastle fans is they will be able to take pictures of themselves at a Final and they won't be in black and white for a change and they won't have to wait a week before picking them up from the shop... 

Forgot about those days. The people who worked in those shops must have seen all sorts

7 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Forgot about those days. The people who worked in those shops must have seen all sorts

Worse was picking them up to find half of them were just streaks where people were moving or being completely out of focus... 

trying to look at today as being a step in the process.   I would love to win but won't see it as a be all and end all.  to be here so early into a project is a indication of progress.   I'll take days like these compared to our usual late February afternoons were it was only survival games.   

HWTL

I'm really torn on this one. I don't like Manchester united one bit, but Ten Hag has done a brilliant job, cut the rot away and they deserve some amount of success. 

Meanwhile, almost any other time I'd be rooting for the toon, but the despicable cunts cashed themselves up in some arab money and are already fishing for quick success. 

• The title was changed to EFL Cup 2022/23 - FINAL - Man Utd 2-0 Newcastle - Sunday 26th February, 2023
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived