• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup 2022/23 - FINAL - Man Utd 2-0 Newcastle - Sunday 26th February, 2023

football forum

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You're welcome to it. It's right up there with the Audi cup and the samoan u21 pub footy trophy. 

Actually the top clubs have taken the competition seriously for a couple of decades now.   Personally I have always thought if you are playing in Europe you shouldn't be in this Cup.

33 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Actually the top clubs have taken the competition seriously for a couple of decades now.   Personally I have always thought if you are playing in Europe you shouldn't be in this Cup.

1. Not really no they haven't. They play woeful XIs until the quarters or semis. 
2. And yeah, because the comp sucks and it's an afterthought. 

12 hours ago, Lucas said:

That's exactly how I'd see it too.

Saint-Maximin could be genius if he had an end product but sadly he doesn't.

I think you miss something not having a natural LB to charge forward like Trippier does, I'd say that should be a top target, along with a creative midfielder and another forward.

You need someone different to Isak IMO, a predator in the box and I think you need more creativity. Obviously Maddison would be a great signing for you there.

that is the concern that a few players have taken us as far as they can but our goals are far higher and the brutal nature means that players may have to accept changing roles or move on

10 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

You will need the Saudi's to open up their wallets if you want 6 new starters.  With the prices for top players you may need to spend like Chelsea has the last two windows

it will have to be a more organic build rather than a splurge

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

Why can't this competition just be called EFL Cup with whoever is sponsoring it like Emirates FA Cup.

Capital One Cup was the most reasonable name it ever had 

I agree! It's weird how Carabao League Cup sounds better than just Carabao Cup.

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Stan said:

Looks like a medicine bottle!

It IS medicine-like a bit... Uncarbonated and more syrupy than the ones sold in Europe under the same name. The same applies to the original Thai Red Bull and other energy drinks here. All mostly sold in 150ml glass bottles or stubby cans, so they are more concentrated than the regular 330ml tall cans abroad.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

It was originally the Milk Cup if I'm not mistaken, but that's before my time. That's more @SirBalon's era.

Yeah you're right.

Worthington Cup stands out as it was the first trophy I ever saw us win :x

41 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

It was originally the Milk Cup if I'm not mistaken, but that's before my time. That's more @SirBalon's era.

It was indeed called the Milk Cup when I was a kid. Then I remember it even more as the Coca-Cola Cup. Tbh... it’s not a trophy I care for at all and I’ve always been on the side of it being cancelled. I don’t even care for the argument of it protecting the interests of smaller clubs because 99% of the time it’s the bigger clubs that reach the final or win it. The FA Cup is enough. Everyone is in that too.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I’ve always been on the side of it being cancelled. I don’t even care for the argument of it protecting the interests of smaller clubs because 99% of the time it’s the bigger clubs that reach the final or win it.

Apart from Arsenal :ph34r:.

I think it makes sense to have clubs participating in Europe not play in the competition. I don't even think it'll devalue the competition. If it gives clubs a better chance of winning silverware, then so be it. Clubs in Europe not taking it seriously until QF/SFs devalues it enough already. 

I think it's too far to say cancel it just because bigger clubs reach the final in recent history. It used to be a far more respectable trophy to win before the Man City dominance. It's a bit elitist and an 'I'm alright, Jack' attitude'. To say you don't care about the protecting of interest by smaller clubs is a bit ignorant as well. 

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

Apart from Arsenal :ph34r:.

I think it makes sense to have clubs participating in Europe not play in the competition. I don't even think it'll devalue the competition. If it gives clubs a better chance of winning silverware, then so be it. Clubs in Europe not taking it seriously until QF/SFs devalues it enough already. 

I think it's too far to say cancel it just because bigger clubs reach the final in recent history. It used to be a far more respectable trophy to win before the Man City dominance. It's a bit elitist and an 'I'm alright, Jack' attitude'. To say you don't care about the protecting of interest by smaller clubs is a bit ignorant as well. 

I do care about protecting the interests of smaller clubs. I’m all for that even if it were at the detriment of the bigger clubs. But I know this competition doesn’t do absolutely anything to address that ever widening disparity. This competition only hinders our clubs in England where what ultimately matters is concerned... competing to our true level in Europe.

Out of all the European nations, English football does the most to offer the fairest deal for all its professional clubs and I know more can be done, but it isn’t down to the League Cup to provide this because it doesn’t. If the argument of the biggest clubs not taking it seriously (because they ARE in it) is the reason behind the theory of smaller clubs having a chance at “major” silverware. Then tbh, I don’t think I even have to formulate an argument to dismantle that so as to prove it’s total rubbish mate.

30 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

To me it's the League Cup and from 1960 to 1980 it didn't  have any sponsorship and for the first few years of its existence most First Division teams didn't play in it.

Wow! I mean, I was born in 1971 and I can’t recall the tournament not having some sort of sponsorship. Obviously that was indeed the case as you’ve well pointed out. But my earliest memories are of Liverpool winning the Milk Cup.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Wow! I mean, I was born in 1971 and I can’t recall the tournament not having some sort of sponsorship. Obviously that was indeed the case as you’ve well pointed out. But my earliest memories are of Liverpool winning the Milk Cup.

My parents had a house built in Rotherham in 1963 and Rotherham United had been in the League Cup Final in 1961 and 1962.

1 hour ago, Redcanuck said:

My parents had a house built in Rotherham in 1963 and Rotherham United had been in the League Cup Final in 1961 and 1962.

Practically everything was shared out in football honours back in the day. Unless there’s an anomaly, you know as well as I do that ain’t happening again. But then again you never know... There’s always the chance of some fuel injected petroleum that could be applied. 😉

• The topic was unpinned

Archived