talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 25 Fixtures - 25th Feb-1st March, 2023

football forum

3 hours ago, N U F C said:

Massive wins for Leeds and West Ham.

Personally can't see any of Leicester, West Ham & Wolves dropping but it's looking so tight down there. How nice not to actually be involved in it for once.

I may let myself start feeling like that from 35+ points.

Leicester & West Ham can suddenly batter someone. And Wolves have so many good footballers, they are just as surprising to me, for being down there.

But then Leeds have some exciting players & off to a good start with the new manager. And Everton perhaps just came up against Villa at the wrong time. And the luck just wasn't with them today.

Unless Forest sink dramatically, it seems there will be at least 1 of the heavyweight contenders.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Maybe not the best performance but got the job done. Should've been easier if we got an obvious penalty which the referee and VAR decided to ignore. Great finish from Martinelli for the winner though. Shame about Trossard's goal being ruled out. Was a great hit. Not sure if it was the right decision either. Very soft. 3 points in the bag though.

I said at the time I couldn't understand why it was disallowed. Even when the replays were shown on the big screen, it wasn't very clear. Soft, indeed. 

• Subscriber

A genuinely embarrassing performance. Think the scoreline flatters us massively.

One of the worst attacking displays I've ever seen. That's a worrying glimpse into life without James Maddison under this manager.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Dan said:

A genuinely embarrassing performance. Think the scoreline flatters us massively.

One of the worst attacking displays I've ever seen. That's a worrying glimpse into life without James Maddison under this manager.

I don't usually care about xG, but it's the worst in the PL since they started recording it xD

evertons survival rests on home form, after a couple home wins this one will sting.   the fans need to lift the team.  Goodison is a tough place to play however if the fans turn on there team it's a bit of a paradise when you have home fans, away fans and the away team piling on a fragile team.

wolves, west ham and Leicester shouldn't be down there and should enough to stay up.  Forest gave us 19m for Wood and 4m for Shelvey taking 200k off our books so im not that worried about what happens to them but they were wild. probably a good example of how not to spend.  

Had a proper review of Everton - Villa. And I do think Unai Emery's team selection paid off. Douglas Luiz & Kamara central & deeper. As they have been. McGinn & Ramsey slightly ahead & tucking in. Felt like it helped ensure we weren't overrun in the middle, though Onana & Iwobi continue to impress me.

Everton could still have easily gone ahead, but Martinez & Mings both did well when called on. And if Everton just had better finishers too it could have been at least both sides on the scoresheet. I really do think Dyche perhaps needs to think about trying something a bit out of the ordinary, up front, because just stacking the midfield & hoping to get a 1-0 may not quite be enough. Against the nearer rivals more so perhaps.

And disregard any lazy expert opinion that McGinn is out of position. For the team. He isn't. He arguably doesn't make the 1st choice 11. But in a game like yesterday we were using him more like how Scotland would tend to. With 3 of him Bailey, Ramsey or Buendia, they can make it 4-2-3-1 when it suits to. And maybe this was the opponent & venue to keep Buendia back.. before he came on & played the ball to McGinn (who's knee was taken out first from best angle) & confidently finished on his weaker left.

Hopefully more of the same for a while.

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The Leicester City v Arsenal game brought us more of that shit refereeing or should I say VARing. It's becoming quite nauseating. Important 3 points for us.

Any comment on the shameful time wasting by Arsenal? Probably the worst I've seen along with Fulham earlier in the season.

To think you felt the need to do it against us who were creating the square root of fuck all is beyond embarrassing.

Not even saying we'd have even won or drawn had the referee acted on it at the time or added more than 5 minutes at the end, but it's more a matter of principle than anything else. When Martinelli was down for about 4 of those minutes after the goal, and with plenty of subs let alone the feigning of injuries later in the game, it was pathetic on Arsenal's behalf and the referees.

It's becoming quite nauseating.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Stan said:

I don't usually care about xG, but it's the worst in the PL since they started recording it xD

We know times are tough when so many are talking about xG xD 

It was so so bad. To be fair, Arsenal didn't create a tonne themselves but given the displays earlier this month it's amazing how we can serve that up even if we were without our best player. We wouldn't have scored if we were still playing.

• Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Dan said:

A word on Forest. I'm absolutely convinced they're one of the three worst sides. Them being 13th is a huge anomaly. Get them out!

Really hoping they've peaked. I genuinely don't think they're much better than Southampton and Bournemouth. It's absolutely nailed on we go there next weekend and play just poorly enough to gift them another 3 points as well.

I think those are the bottom three teams in terms of ability and Everton and Leeds aren't far ahead but should slot into 16th and 17th. Leicester, West Ham and Wolves have too much quality to be in the mix at the end of the season. Whether it finishes like that though, I'm not confident, we'll see.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Really hoping they've peaked. I genuinely don't think they're much better than Southampton and Bournemouth. It's absolutely nailed on we go there next weekend and play just poorly enough to gift them another 3 points as well.

I think those are the bottom three teams in terms of ability and Everton and Leeds aren't far ahead but should slot into 16th and 17th. Leicester, West Ham and Wolves have too much quality to be in the mix at the end of the season. Whether it finishes like that though, I'm not confident, we'll see.

The amount of people I saw saying West Ham beating them is a bad result for us. I don't agree. Forest were still a likelier drop than them for me. They're a write off away from home. They may get away with it but they aren't good.

17 hours ago, Stan said:

Any comment on the shameful time wasting by Arsenal? Probably the worst I've seen along with Fulham earlier in the season.

To think you felt the need to do it against us who were creating the square root of fuck all is beyond embarrassing.

Not even saying we'd have even won or drawn had the referee acted on it at the time or added more than 5 minutes at the end, but it's more a matter of principle than anything else. When Martinelli was down for about 4 of those minutes after the goal, and with plenty of subs let alone the feigning of injuries later in the game, it was pathetic on Arsenal's behalf and the referees.

It's becoming quite nauseating.

I hate time-wasting. We had it done to us by Newcastle Utd at home and more recently against Villa until that particular game turned on them. We did indeed apply that form of cheating yesterday. I said on a thread a week ago or so that many don’t get annoyed enough with that type of cheating until it’s used on them.

• Subscriber

Not tried to watch tonight and not sorry.

Whatever happens now happens. No idea when Calvert-Lewin will be back but regardless of manager, it's now becoming clear that if we can't get him fit then the lack of a forward signed in January has killed us. We might yet stay up if Leeds manage to be shitter than us or one of the other teams has a massive meltdown.

Forest on Sunday is huge and I don't have a positive feeling about it, not least because we've won about 2 away games since Moshiri bought the club.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived