talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Influencers boxing

football forum

So I've decided to keep this away from boxing thread as I don't feel it should be disrespected with these fake boxers.

That said 24 hours from now we have potentially the first Influencer vs pro boxer match up. Tommy Fury may very well be a novice fighter but he's trained long enough to be credited a professional whilst Paul has won 6 fights against various different fighters from all sorts of sports. 

For the good of the sport we've got to hope Tommy knocks the shit out of Jake Paul tomorrow evening. 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Spike said:

How isn't Paul a professional? He literally has professional fights.

Professional fights against Basketballers and mix martial arts fighters.

To get a Professional boxing licence isn't difficult, to actually be a professional fighter is a whole different level.

If you really want to be that anal about it yeah his record is Professional, but to any boxing enthusiasts it's a joke. 

4 minutes ago, Devil said:

Professional fights against Basketballers and mix martial arts fighters.

To get a Professional boxing licence isn't difficult, to actually be a professional fighter is a whole different level.

If you really want to be that anal about it yeah his record is Professional, but to any boxing enthusiasts it's a joke. 

I think boxing enthusiasts are just rattled this guy came into the sport older than most and has used his fame and natural athleticism to embarrass people that have spent their whole lives boxing and got nowhere. I genuinely think it has nothing to do with his skill or lack thereof. 

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think boxing enthusiasts are just rattled this guy came into the sport older than most and has used his fame and natural athleticism to embarrass people that have spent their whole lives boxing and got nowhere. I genuinely think it has nothing to do with his skill or lack thereof. 

As someone who follows the sport intently and has actually watched his fights I can tell you firstly he hasn't embarrassed anyone and I would even question if his victories are legitimate or even paid off.

He's so flat footed and slow I find it almost impossible a UFC champion would be that badly trained to get caught the way Woodley did. We're talking a former world champion of a combat sport.

Personally for me tomorrow this all ends for Paul, Tommy knows the job he has to do, he's got his family name, boxings name and his own self respect to defend.

Jake, knows he had to take the risk eventually, he also knew Tommy was his best chance of taking that risk whilst being able to make mega money. He also knows full well he will get his head smashed in.

17 minutes ago, Devil said:

As someone who follows the sport intently and has actually watched his fights I can tell you firstly he hasn't embarrassed anyone and I would even question if his victories are legitimate or even paid off.

He's so flat footed and slow I find it almost impossible a UFC champion would be that badly trained to get caught the way Woodley did. We're talking a former world champion of a combat sport.

Personally for me tomorrow this all ends for Paul, Tommy knows the job he has to do, he's got his family name, boxings name and his own self respect to defend.

Jake, knows he had to take the risk eventually, he also knew Tommy was his best chance of taking that risk whilst being able to make mega money. He also knows full well he will get his head smashed in.

I didn't say that at all, you've misunderstood my post. I said he has embarrassed people that have spent their entire lives boxing with his success and fame, not that he has embarrassed people in his fights.

10 hours ago, Spike said:

I didn't say that at all, you've misunderstood my post. I said he has embarrassed people that have spent their entire lives boxing with his success and fame, not that he has embarrassed people in his fights.

Fine. Explain to me how he has embarrassed people then?

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

I’ve done that twice already.

I don't think you've explained it well at all.

How has he embarrassed people that have spent their entire life boxing?

If its the money he's making against what they have earned its hardly a level playing field, he's coming in with 22 million followers on social media. Boxers start from the ground and work their way up. Some could box 10 years and earn a fraction of what Jake earns from one fight but that's not embarrassing in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

If someone isn't embarrassed by putting their heart and soul into a passion and then someone coming in and making a mockery and making it look easy, I'd say they were never passionate in the first place.

Look easy?

The only thing he's done that's impressive is build his brand, he's transmited that across to PPV sport by boxing people that are either not fighters or clearly paid to take a dive.

The guy has 22 million devoted followers, that's hardly a level playing field with any up and coming young boxer. Comparing the two and suggesting he's embarrassing anyone is just stupid.

2 minutes ago, Devil said:

Look easy?

The only thing he's done that's impressive is build his brand, he's transmited that across to PPV sport by boxing people that are either not fighters or clearly paid to take a dive.

The guy has 22 million devoted followers, that's hardly a level playing field with any up and coming young boxer. Comparing the two and suggesting he's embarrassing anyone is just stupid.

He has made the entire sport of boxing self-conscious and anxious about the state of it. That by definition is what embarrassment is. In your opening post you refer to them as ‘fake boxers’, so you care right? You don’t feel embarrassed by Paul? You language definitely says so to me, especially your anxiety for Paul to lose. 

Embarrassing is not  a synonym for making someone look like a fool, or look stupid. You seem to be really caught up on this word being an insult, or making someone look bad. 

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

He has made the entire sport of boxing self-conscious and anxious about the state of it. That by definition is what embarrassment is. In your opening post you refer to them as ‘fake boxers’, so you care right? You don’t feel embarrassed by Paul? You language definitely says so to me, especially your anxiety for Paul to lose. 

Embarrassing is not  a synonym for making someone look like a fool, or look stupid. You seem to be really caught up on this word being an insult, or making someone look bad. 

I don't feel embarrassed by Paul, I admire the brand, I respect these guys are not only celebrities but also fantastic businessmen.

There comes a point though where I think a line has been crossed, fighting other novice white collar fighters or cross over fighters for big money is fine by me, he has his audience. 

Calling out and using the names of men who've put their heart soul and life on line for the sport they love is just wrong. That's what I dont like, I also think he thinks he's chosen the easiest option with Tommy, big enough name to market it but also a bang average fighter.

Tommy is carrying the flag for boxing tonight, he knows the job he's got. 

Archived