The better place to talk football.

FA Cup 2022/23 - 5th Round Matches

football forum

• Administrator

image.png

all kick-offs (GMT) unless stated

Tuesday 28th February, 2023
Stoke vs Brighton, 19.15 (Live on ITV4)
Leicester vs Blackburn, 19.30 (Live on BBC Red Button)
Fulham vs Leeds, 19.45 (Live on BBC one)
Bristol City vs Man City, 20.00 (Live on ITV1)

Wednesday 1st March, 2023
Southampton vs Grimsby, 19.15 (Live on ITV4)
Burnley vs Fleetwood, 19.30 (Live on BBC Red Button)
Man Utd vs West Ham, 19.45 (Live on ITV1)
Sheff Utd vs Tottenham, 20.00 (Live on BBC one)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Huge game and the realist is shouting that this won't be a good result for us just because of the sheer difference in league positions. But... we've beaten League One and Championship teams convincingly in this competition so far, why not add a struggling Premier League team to the list? 

I'm going to the Fulham game tomorrow night and in some ways, it's a nice distraction from the league.

Think it's a real 50/50 game tbh, but it's a great chance for either side to play a Quarter Final.

The league is obviously more important but a win would only help boost the confidence of the lads after the Saints win Saturday and we need as much of it as we can get.

Plus we are due a good Cup run, I'd like to see that continue and finally get a home draw in the Quarters. Elland Road would be class for it.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

It's written in the stars somewhere that if Grimsby DO get through, we'll get Fleetwood or something :D 

Home tie vs Leicester.

Maddison overhead kick from the edge of the box to seal the tie.

23 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

:ay:

Quite pleased with the performance. Into the next round we go. 

Jon Dahl Tomasson is settling in well now with a solid run of results lately. 

The best result now would be Fleetwood beating Burnley and then drawing Fleetwood.

1/4 final is a good run whatever happens and especially with a win away against an established Prem team and 2 fellow Championship sides 

• Administrator

That was fucking horrid. 

How are we setting up to sit back and defend and hit on the counter at home to Blackburn? And that's not disrespectful to Blackburn. That's more a reflection on us and more so Rodgers. Utterly disheartening watching that performance. Too much shite and deadwood in the squad. Amartey, Soumare, Thomas just nowhere near good enough. 

Blackburn 100% deserved the win. Should have been 5 up before we got our goal. 

Rodgers needs to go. 

That was another excellent performance by Blackburn and the fact that the win was against a Premier League club, will give them a lot of satisfaction. Blackburn are in really good form right now and it will be very interesting to see how much further they can get in the FA Cup.

Fulham also played a very intelligent game and deservedly won 2-0 at home to Leeds United. Both Palhinha's and Solomon's goals were superb strikes for Fulham. Leeds created many chances in the game, but they just couldn't find the back of the net.

Evan Ferguson scored the only goal of the match as Brighton beat Stoke City 1-0 away from home. While Phil Foden scored twice to help Man City cruise to a 3-0 defeat of Bristol Rovers in the West Country.

Watched the full Leicester vs Blackburn game and I was quite shocked by how bad Leicester were. Constantly giving the ball away in defence and midfield and if Blackburn could finish they'd have been 4 or 5 up.

Leicester did improve once they scored but still didn't really create a great deal. Blackburn are definite promotion contenders on that performance.

good news for Leicester is that they only have the league to focus on.

to lose to a team that has had a rough patch and losing their best player for zip is quite embarrassing.  but to do it in a way where sit was a bit of mauling is going to hurt the fans.

Fulham away.

20230228_204508.jpg

20230228_204522.jpg

Bit gutted we didn't go through tbh. This was such a great chance to go progress and given a lot of top sides have been knocked out, and Fulham were there for the taking.

Thought we played the better Football, created far more opportunities and also didn't have an ounce of luck.

Just to reiterate that, I discovered Fulham had an xG of 0.20 to our 1.44. Not massive on that kind of stuff but was curious because it felt they didn't do much at all, turns out Fulham had 3 shots on goal, we had 14.

Just. Couldn't. Score.

That's the way it goes when one team's having a good season and the other isn't. Fulham ping in two worldy finishes and we miss enough easy ones to win two games.

Shame for our fans last night that made it sound like a home game too, we deserved far more.

Have to say the referee was appalling. Couldn't see at the time why Rutter had his goal disallowed at 0-0 but when i saw it this morning, its so so soft to give a push on Wilson, he dives as an after thought.

If we go 1-0 there, I'm positive we win that game.

Just don't ever seem to get those decisions. Harry Kane can barge Meslier out the way at Spurs for a goal, Tyrone Mings can drag Gnonto down in the box and avoid a penalty yet the softest of touches and we have a goal disallowed.

It feels like we've had this kind of thing all season, pretty sick of it now.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If we go 1-0 there, I'm positive we win that game.

Just don't ever seem to get those decisions. Harry Kane can barge Meslier out the way at Spurs for a goal, Tyrone Mings can drag Gnonto down in the box and avoid a penalty yet the softest of touches and we have a goal disallowed.

It feels like we've had this kind of thing all season, pretty sick of it now.

That's a shocking decision! Wilson is going for the ball isn't he?!

58 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

That's a shocking decision! Wilson is going for the ball isn't he?!

He's misjudged the jump and because he's felt hands in the back from McKennie, he's exaggerated the dive. Clear as day on the replay.

If that stands, we are 1-0 up and with our tails really up but it's done now, no point stewing on it.

Will piss me off though if Fulham get a jammy draw.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, N U F C said:

Watched the full Leicester vs Blackburn game and I was quite shocked by how bad Leicester were. Constantly giving the ball away in defence and midfield and if Blackburn could finish they'd have been 4 or 5 up.

Leicester did improve once they scored but still didn't really create a great deal. Blackburn are definite promotion contenders on that performance.

The more I look at it the more annoyed I am that I didn't put money on Blackburn at 7/1. They're the opposite to us, punching above their weight as a team, they've got nowhere near the talent (though you wouldn't think it) but trump us at everything else by a mile. Organisation, desire, cohesion. All things lacking at this shipwreck.

We can absolutely get relegated. We're abysmal. If Blackburn had gone 0-4 up nobody could've said it was unfair.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived