The better place to talk football.

Stranger Things

football forum

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know how to feel about that. 

In terms of the plot, the series has come to a point where they are just exploiting the same shit by packaging it in a different manner. Small single monster season one, big monster coming out with Will's help season two and now monster trying to come out with Russians  and Billy's help. 

Looks like they are going to go with the same thing in season four. 

Characters are still its strongest point. They are all still likeable. Nice to see Erica getting a bigger part and Uma Thurman's daughter is a good addition. 

They bank heavily on 80's nostalgia, and while they played smartly with it in the past two seasons, this time it seemed forced.

Overall this was kinda of a season, where I just watched it because I am attached to the series, but there was not a single woah moment. Nothing memorable about this season. Even the death, which might not even be true.

8 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Don't know how to feel about that. 

In terms of the plot, the series has come to a point where they are just exploiting the same shit by packaging it in a different manner. Small single monster season one, big monster coming out with Will's help season two and now monster trying to come out with Russians  and Billy's help. 

Looks like they are going to go with the same thing in season four. 

Characters are still its strongest point. They are all still likeable. Nice to see Erica getting a bigger part and Uma Thurman's daughter is a good addition. 

They bank heavily on 80's nostalgia, and while they played smartly with it in the past two seasons, this time it seemed forced.

Overall this was kinda of a season, where I just watched it because I am attached to the series, but there was not a single woah moment. Nothing memorable about this season. Even the death, which might not even be true.

Feel the exact same. The trailer made it look like it could be injecting some freshness into the show, but it ended up the same as usual. The fourth season will be the same as usual an all. I'm bored.

• Subscriber
On 09/07/2019 at 11:43, CaaC (John) said:

Think if they brought him back it would be poor writing especially given the fact of how it all ended. Still, they would want to cash in on the character likeness card so anything is possible.

• Subscriber

I quite liked it. If you take it for what it is, a bit of silly fun with some serious/emotional plot points then it's enjoyable. I do think some of the characters are underused now because they have to escalate the big threat to make it a danger to El so there's not much characters like Nancy and Jonathan and Lucas can really do.

They did well to get a decent cast as well. Child actors are always risky but I wouldn't say there are many duds among them now that they're maturing. Usually you get at least a couple with a series like this who really don't age well and watching them act as teenagers is painful.

Haven't watched the final episode yet but so far think it's been okay. Not as good as the previous 2 seasons though. The lesbian reveal in episode 7 was kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Obviously nothing wrong with having a lesbian character but them using most of the season to push you into thinking something will happen between Steve and Robin only to go "she doesn't even like boys!" just made me go "what was the point?".

I thought the lesbian reveal was one of the few interesting things in this season. Nicely set-up and executed. Him and Robin hooking up would have been predictable. It also makes you feel for Steve, just like season one when he lost Nancy to Jonathan. 

However, the reason for it is fairly simple. Diversity-keeps the woke mob quiet. Luckily it didn't seem forced for me in this case. Just perfectly executed. Also Maya Hawke made it seem believable. 

18 hours ago, 6666 said:

Haven't watched the final episode yet but so far think it's been okay. Not as good as the previous 2 seasons though. The lesbian reveal in episode 7 was kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Obviously nothing wrong with having a lesbian character but them using most of the season to push you into thinking something will happen between Steve and Robin only to go "she doesn't even like boys!" just made me go "what was the point?".

I actually didn't think the romance part of their relationship was forced at all. In fact, I'd argue that there were very little romantic moments between the two, it was mostly just banter between friends. 

11 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I thought the lesbian reveal was one of the few interesting things in this season. Nicely set-up and executed. Him and Robin hooking up would have been predictable. It also makes you feel for Steve, just like season one when he lost Nancy to Jonathan. 

However, the reason for it is fairly simple. Diversity-keeps the woke mob quiet. Luckily it didn't seem forced for me in this case. Just perfectly executed. Also Maya Hawke made it seem believable. 

Yup. Felt natural if anything. Again, goes down to good writing. Need to remember in the 80’s, coming out was very rare. 

Billy’s death hit me harder than Hoppers 

I felt it was super forced. They definitely played up them ending up together especially when she told him about staring at him in class and it definitely was said in a "I really liked you" sort of way rather than a "I don't get the big deal" sort of way. Steve's reaction was non-existent as well. He just gave a speech about how much he likes this girl and the next minute there's zero sign of that in his reaction? Obviously he wasn't going to kick off but any sign of disappointment or slight surprise would have been better. Whole thing was poorly done and simply catered to airheads.

On 13/07/2019 at 00:53, 6666 said:

I felt it was super forced. They definitely played up them ending up together especially when she told him about staring at him in class and it definitely was said in a "I really liked you" sort of way rather than a "I don't get the big deal" sort of way. Steve's reaction was non-existent as well. He just gave a speech about how much he likes this girl and the next minute there's zero sign of that in his reaction? Obviously he wasn't going to kick off but any sign of disappointment or slight surprise would have been better. Whole thing was poorly done and simply catered to airheads.

In the torture chamber/Russian basement, she talks about the class. How Steve always came late, had the same breakfast and his hair. She states that she was 'obsessed' with him and not liked. Lastly, she admits that deep down 'we all losers wanna end up being cool.' 

Later, in the toilet, when she confesses, she starts of by saying she likes him, largely meant for the time they spent in the ice cream shop, but back then she thought of him to be a douchebag and an arsehole. And then she admits why. Again same things as before coming in late, breakfast and hair. She couldn't understand why the girl she fancied preferred him.

If anything that's good writing. Smartly using the words like obsessed instead of like or love. 

You can argue their reasons for putting in a gay character, which is obviously to keep the woke mob happy, but they actually did it nicely. Also, it continues Steve's failures in love, making us care about him. 

You can still continue to not like it. 

On 13/07/2019 at 00:36, Cicero said:

Billy’s death hit me harder than Hoppers 

Same here. Maybe because Billy's death was nicely setup with that abusive father angle, and he got the hero's departure, while a lot of other things were happening when Hopper went out. Also, the post credit/mid credit scene kinda reduces the effect, as well. I mean it has to be him. 

EDIT: Added the spoiler tags.

2 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

In the torture chamber/Russian basement, she talks about the class. How Steve always came late, had the same breakfast and his hair. She states that she was 'obsessed' with him and not liked. Lastly, she admits that deep down 'we all losers wanna end up being cool.' 

Later, in the toilet, when she confesses, she starts of by saying she likes him, largely meant for the time they spent in the ice cream shop, but back then she thought of him to be a douchebag and an arsehole. And then she admits why. Again same things as before coming in late, breakfast and hair. She couldn't understand why the girl she fancied preferred him.

If anything that's good writing. Smartly using the words like obsessed instead of like or love. 

It was designed to send you one way when you first see it and then force you to look back at differently after the "big reveal". And I do mean "force" as even looking back at those scenes, they were still acted out in a way which suggested she used to like him. "She said obsessed instead of like or love" is too lazy a get out. "Obsessed" usually means one thing and they definitely wanted you to think it was that one thing so the "big reveal" comes across as a big swerve and it did come across as a swerve but more of a "so the whole secondary storyline was pointless?" sort of swerve. Could've just done the reveal when she was telling the story and then just carried on. Dumbest part of the season for me.

Archived