talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Look to Lampard

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about 9 games, he's got more experience than the guy he's replacing and he loves Chelsea.

I don't think they seriously think they are going to win the Champions league anyway and the League top 4 race is dead.

Makes sense to me.

• Subscriber

It is a bit weird. If they have any intention of re-appointing him permanently then they are mental. If they don't and they strictly want him to see out the season, they might as well leave it to one of their backroom staff and save the money?

• Subscriber

United tried that with Ole, although he was never a manager of United before and got sacked they asked him to take over on a temp basis, worked out great at first and United were flying then they decided to put him in charge on a full time basis and we all know what happened next, the players took the piss out of him and then it was goodbye Ole  :bye:

Being honest, Lampard, must be thick, he was manager before and they sacked him and now they are asking him back as a temp, if I was Lampard I would tell them to stick it up their you know where

This stinks like the Moyes saga with West Ham, he saved them from relegation and they more or less sacked him, the Hammers got drawn into relegation again and asked Moyes to come back full time, the Hammers are now fighting relegation and the bets are Moyes will be sacked again.

As the late Jimmy Greaves said "Football, it's a funny old game..." :coffee:

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Being honest, Lampard, must be thick, he was manager before and they sacked him and now they are asking him back as a temp, if I was Lampard I would tell them to stick it up their you know where

He'll be doing it for himself though. In his head, he could win the Champions League and win 8 games from 11 in the league and put himself back on the radar of other Premier League clubs. Any objective assessment of his ability as a manager would say otherwise but that'll be what he believes.

When you've been sacked twice in a couple of years and are sliding down the managerial ladder, you're not going to say no to the opportunity Chelsea are offering even on a temporary basis.

It's their side I don't really understand it from.

I think its fine on a short term basis. There will be a better pool of managers to choose from in the summer.

I haven't followed Real Madrid this season to know the details but a return of Carlo Ancelotti would be perfect. He'd come in and show them what's the best system to get the the best out of the expensive players they've signed.

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

If they don't and they strictly want him to see out the season, they might as well leave it to one of their backroom staff and save the money?

I thought the news feeds were just random headline hunting at first and when he was at the game the other night I thought it was just pure coincidence but not now... Not sure what the purpose of this is to be honest given that as you say they could have just seen out the season as is and appointed someone new in the summer.. Our top 4 hopes are in tatters and barring an epic performance across both legs we are going out of the CL at the next hurdle.. 

Got a lot of love for Lampard but we know he does not have the experience yet to manage a club like Chelsea so it just seems like another odd decision in a river of odd decisions since Bohlyvich took over... Also, not sure you could sell the 'long term project' sales pitch to anyone with half a brain given what happened with Potter! I reckon the only attraction to taking the job on at Chelsea these days is the massive pay off you get when they get laid off... 

Secretly hoping though that Lampard has a Di Matteo moment in the CL.. that would be pretty extraordinary in what has been a pretty hideous season.. 

• Subscriber

Silly bit of business really. They have a pool of managers to choose from who are much better with no disrespect to Frank and have they not seen the fire-trail this guy has left in his wake?

13 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Silly bit of business really. They have a pool of managers to choose from who are much better with no disrespect to Frank and have they not seen the fire-trail this guy has left in his wake?

Most or these guys will want a break before starting a fresh in the summer, they more than likely already have their man and he won't come until June.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Devil said:

Most or these guys will want a break before starting a fresh in the summer, they more than likely already have their man and he won't come until June.

While I get that I think the club is unnecessarily spending on someone who can't guarantee anything even in the CL for them and they actually have a chance, albeit a slim one, of progressing there. What happens then? They all turn to Frank for what exactly?

7 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

While I get that I think the club is unnecessarily spending on someone who can't guarantee anything even in the CL for them and they actually have a chance, albeit a slim one, of progressing there. What happens then? They all turn to Frank for what exactly?

He might be doing it for a low wage to be fair, he loves the club and he gets a free hit at boosting his reputation if he pulls of the impossible and wins the Champions league.

It's also worth mentioning that at this point in the season it is beneficial having somebody that knows the club inside out from the training ground to routines and players. There's no time left in a season for a manager to spend a month plus acclimatising to everything whilst figuring out his strongest squad.

3 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It's also worth mentioning that at this point in the season it is beneficial having somebody that knows the club inside out from the training ground to routines and players. There's no time left in a season for a manager to spend a month plus acclimatising to everything whilst figuring out his strongest squad.

With the massive influx of players they’ve had at first team level though, it’s hardly like he’ll hit the ground running. I think it could genuinely get worse. Fingers crossed.

27 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Well, well, well………….

Nothing I didn't expect.... It's far too late to fix this monumental catastrophe of a season, we have no character, no leadership, no passion, and nobody that knows where the goal is.. as soon as the opposition score we are fucked! I watch in the small vain hope that we somehow find some inspiration and fight to try and end the season with some dignity but alas my hopes are continually dashed game after game... 

Lower Expectations - Imgflip

12 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Does it matter that he knows where the bogs and the canteen is?

It's a lot more than that though. When Roy Hodgson rejoined us he could just cracked on with the job straight away with the support of the influential players.

Archived