talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lucas Pérez: "I feel cheated by Arsenal"

img_fcancela_20170724-170319_imagenes_md

Lucas Pérez: "I feel cheated by Arsenal"

"I want to leave Arsenal so I can play and feel happy again".  Apparently these were the exact words Lucas Pérez used to tell Arsene Wenger that he was begging to leave the club.  'La Voz De Galicia' a Galician based general newspaper held an interview with the ex Deportivo La Coruña player where he described the year he has lived in London as an Arsenal player.  The main parts of the interview have been reflected in all the Spanish sports dailies today and I've taken this piece from Mundo Deportivo.

To say that Lucas Pérez has had a complicated season is an understatement to say the least.  After having a fantastic season for Deportivo la Coruña where he almost single handedly kept the club up in Spain's top division (La Liga), Arsenal came knocking on the door and signed the Galician striker for €20m...  An amazing opportunity for the player to test his talent at a big Premier League club.  The general view in Spain is that his numbers for his first season were good and especially considering the few chances he had.  But the opportunities were sparse from the french coach that runs the club from top to bottom...  Any dream that Lucas Pérez could look to show his potential and put up a fight for an opportunity at entering the Spain squad for the World Cup in Russia are all but doomed because like he says, he wants to leave and after the season he has, no high profile club will come in for him.  He hasn't given up hope though and wherever he goes for next season he will fight to try and be noticed because all he knows is that he wants to leave Arsenal.

The fact is that it's been made obvious that Arsenal aren't counting on him or see any weight in what he can provide in the future.  This very summer Arsenal have bought yet another striker in the shape of Alexandre Lacazette where the club have offered the Frenchman the number 9 shirt.  Yes, they offered a new player a shirt that still has an owner and whether this is a common occurrence in the Premier League we don't know, but in Spain this never happens and even Cristiano Ronaldo had to wait for his number 7 shirt due to Raúl still being at the club.  But in the few times this has occurred elsewhere in Europe with famous cases, it's been the owning player offering the number to the newcomer...  Lucas Pérez was asked after Lacazette was given the number.  Lucas Pérez says; "I was told by a colleague of mine that he'd heard Lacazette had asked for my number and that he thought the club had given it to him.  Three days later when Lcazette had already done photoshoots with the shirt, they came and asked me...  The didn't tell me.  They thought I didn't know and asked me."

"I don't know to what level I performed for others, but I think I done pretty well considering the very few chances I was given.  Infact my colleagues always stated that the team played better with me up front and were more fluid.  Alexis enjoyed the freedom of roaming in and around me.  I doubt I've even been able to leave any sort of impression on many Arsenal fans, but I do hope many have seen that I gave something back.  It just wasn't to be and I feel mislead and I made the wrong choice".

"I've turned down various offers from abroad and some in Spain.  I would love to be able to return to Deportivo."

It is known that he's had offers from Fenerbahce, Marseille and Sevilla.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, HK85 said:

Should have signed for us. 

Yeah, it was an error by Lucas Pérez to come to us when you consider our record on signing strikers in recent seasons.  There isn't any logic in the way we do business in that area and someone who was signed to be a winger has ended up being our main man recently (Alexis).

I didn't even want him because he had done nothing to prove he could play at the level we should be providing where status is concerned and participating in the Champions League.  But when he did play, he performed, the team played well around him and him around them... and he scored goals without ever given a proper run in the team.  Definitely more suited to how we play than Olivier Giroud.

6 hours ago, True Blue said:

They really took his number from him?

Indeed...  The first time I've seen anything like it.  It totally went past me what had occurred even when Lacazette was presented at Arsenal...  I didn't click!

But if true how things were done, that's nasty and a lack of respect by the club.  I won't go into the fact a new player coming in and asking for what is en effect still a colleague's property, because I don't know enough about Lacazette's character right now.

• Administrator

have any clubs actually bid for him? he clearly wants out and Arsenal clearly don't want him at the club any more? Surprised if there have been no bids at all. 

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

have any clubs actually bid for him? he clearly wants out and Arsenal clearly don't want him at the club any more? Surprised if there have been no bids at all. 

Known clubs that have bid for him due to released info by his agent at the time have been Fenerbahce, Marseille and Sevilla...  He instructed his agent not to negotiate with any of those as of yet (certainly doesn't want to go to Turkey according to rumours) because his wish is to return to Deportivo La Coruña.

7 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah, it was an error by Lucas Pérez to come to us when you consider our record on signing strikers in recent seasons.  There isn't any logic in the way we do business in that area and someone who was signed to be a winger has ended up being our main man recently (Alexis).

I didn't even want him because he had done nothing to prove he could play at the level we should be providing where status is concerned and participating in the Champions League.  But when he did play, he performed, the team played well around him and him around them... and he scored goals without ever given a proper run in the team.  Definitely more suited to how we play than Olivier Giroud.

Indeed...  The first time I've seen anything like it.  It totally went past me what had occurred even when Lacazette was presented at Arsenal...  I didn't click!

But if true how things were done, that's nasty and a lack of respect by the club.  I won't go into the fact a new player coming in and asking for what is en effect still a colleague's property, because I don't know enough about Lacazette's character right now.

United did it to Martial without his knowledge when Ibrahimovic signed.

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

United did it to Martial without his knowledge when Ibrahimovic signed.

Had no idea.  Maybe it's now caught on!  Definitely not something that's common...  I can name various big names going to clubs and having to wait for their traditional number like the Raúl to Cristiano one I mentioned.  Also Romario and Rivaldo had to wait at Barça with Johan Cruyff having to play in a 9 shirt at Barcelona instead of his famous 14.

Martial and Lacazette seem to have something in common and it's not the obvious detail.

Archived