talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who's doing the best transfer business in the Premier League this Summer?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Players I've heard of do :ph34r:

I wonder if City are being built to win La Liga?

Everton have brought quantity in, but sold all their goals. I do think they have the best signing of all thou.

Bournemouth I can understand, I just wonder if they have signed Defoe one transfer too late?

Talking of players one has heard of, I wonder what these guys Huddersfield have signed are like and will they trouble safety at anytime?

• Subscriber

Everton have made some good additions, did lose their key forward but I am a believer that they may have more flexibility in their play now. Can't see how Sigurdsson would make £40mil+ difference to them though given they already have Klaassen and Barkley. Surely there's other areas they need to strengthen before that.

I don't think Arsenal have done badly with the Lacazette signing.

Man City have brought the best players in I'd say but my god, what a cost. They are going to get pelted if they defend anything like they did last year.

Bournemouth I think have made some good additions and as it stands now I wouldn't even put them anywhere near the relegation picture.

I think we've done alright so far. Not lost anyone (yet), made a very decent addition in Maguire, Iborra comes with a good reputation and it's looking a certainty Iheanacho will join as well. I still think we probably need 3 more including Iheanacho but so far, so good.

I've been impressed with Chelsea. What threatened to look a bit two years ago-like hasn't worked out that way and I'd actually make them title favourites again.

I don't think West Ham have done well. They've got some players in, sure, and their fans will naturally be excited but I can see it all going wrong. Four players all 28 or older, all on £100k a week or more, all being over-rated because they have played in the league before. Their business points to being a manager under pressure for me. Hernandez I'd say is probably their best signing. Build a team to get him chances and I think it'll work but I don't buy he's this top forward people make him out to be.

• Administrator

Link to all Premier League transfers so far:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/397434

I think some teams have strengthened well where others have spent over the odds for a decent player.

For example Bournemouth have done well to get Ake, Defoe, Begovic whilst also keeping players that helped them get to where they finished last season.

Arsenal haven't done much but sign a striker which they've been screaming out for a few seasons. Jury's out on Lacazette for now though.

Brighton and Burnley nothing special so far.

Chelsea have done well so far too - Bakayoko and Morata will hit the ground running but their window has been as expected, spending a lot on quality. So many loans out though xD 

Think Palace have done well to get Loftus-Cheek and Riedewald but is it enough to take them to the next level (7-10th?)

Everton have signed a lot but like Palace, will it take them to the next level? Can they realistically challenge for top 4 with their new signings? Sandro is a bargain though and any club in the league would have taken Pickford I think so they've done well there.

Huddersfield - undecided on their business so far. I've rated Mooy for a while but I can't tell you much about the rest of the players they've signed.

I'm pleased with the business we've done so far. Screaming out for a centre back and think we've got a good one in Maguire. Replaced Zieler with Jakupovic who is decent backup and a bargain at £3m. If we sign Iheanacho it'll be another striker to add to the books which was much needed as there's clear quality there. Our business will be superb if we can get rid of Mendy & Musa and maybe Ulloa. Something tells me they won't go by end of August though. If we keep Mahrez that's a great bit of business in itself especially if he performs like everyone knows he can. 

Liverpool have done well to get Solanke from Chelsea and I quite like Robertson from Hull. If Chilwell went, I'd have loved for us to go for Robertson. Mo Salah is expensive and I hope he's moved on from his days with Chelsea which were pretty poor.

Man City have thrown money at full backs which is one place they needed to strengthen but I don't like how much they've spent there. Their best bit of business is probably Bernardo Silva but now they've got a fuck load of quality and quantity in those midfield positions. 

United have replaced Ibra's goals with Lukaku's now so they've done well there. Huge fee though. Lindelof adds some quality to their defence. Much better than Smalling in my opinion.

Other than Atsu for Newcastle, I can't really comment on other players they've signed so like Huddersfield, I'm undecided.

Southampton losing Rodriguez is a big loss for them and they only really have Gabbiadini to rely on (Austin is injury prone). Surprised they've not strengthened more unless they're going to give a lot of time to youngsters.

Stoke getting Zouma in is a great signing I think. Fletcher for the experience too. 

Swansea have signed Roque Mesa which is a player I admired and would have loved at Leicester. Abraham giving support to Llorente or even competition with the Spaniard is a shrewd signing. Clearly got quality and may keep Swansea up with his goals if he hits it off there.

Time will tell if Tottenham will look for a Walker replacement. I like Trippier but Walker's boots are big to fill with the quality he had. With CL football coming up again and after a poor campaign in Europe last season I think they need to add more to their squad. Kane/Eriksen/Alli can only be relied on for so long.

Apart from Chalobah re-signing for Watford, I'm not that impressed by their signings. Cleverley and Hughes are average and I don't think they've done that well so far.

West Brom - (see Southampton). They've done well with the Rodriguez signing but I don't think they'll have as good a season as last. They gave up in March which says a lot about the mentality of the squad.

I think West Ham have done brilliantly to get Hernandez and Hart in but they've overspent on Arnautovic. Hernandez is guaranteed goals with his poacher style. 

Overall - I'd say Bournemouth have done the best. I would say West Ham have done great too but they've spent a lot. Chelsea and ourselves (if we get Iheanacho) also done well. 

The biggest risk of them all is Man City and especially for Guardiola. If they win jack all again it'll look horrendous for them with the amount they've spent and definitely won't look good for Man City. 

Chelsea and Everton have done the best deals so far this summer.  Chelsea have an extremely compact side that can challenge for any honour next season and Everton if everything aligns itself in the stars, could have a tremendous season.

I think West Ham have done some decent business, in fairness.

Arnautovic is seemingly Payet's replacement, which they've been crying out for, and he's a ready made Premier League player having been there and done it for, you'd argue, a weaker side in Stoke. 

Chicarito had a decent record at United, if not a regular starter and scored 28 in Germany for Bayer Leverkusen and again, he's got Premier League experience and in this day and age, £16m is a relative bargain when you consider some fees being thrown around. 

Hart has the experience too. I do think he's going to be under the microscope though and I wonder how he'll cope if he makes an error early on in the season. That said, he's likely to be a better bet than Darren Randolph and Adrian. 

• Subscriber

Payet is better than Arnautovic. Hernandez has a decent goals record but isn't he quite injury prone? Hart I genuinely think is well on the decline and won't be that good.

43 minutes ago, Dan said:

Payet is better than Arnautovic. Hernandez has a decent goals record but isn't he quite injury prone? Hart I genuinely think is well on the decline and won't be that good.

I didn't say Payet was worse, just he needed replacing and West Ham have done that to some degree, which was a matter of urgency and Arnautovic has proven to be a good player at Stoke so it's a decent signing. 

Hernandez has 28 goals in fifty-odd games, which is a decent record, injuries included. 

Hart will be a decent signing for a club like West Ham. He's not at a massive club anymore so should be okay. 

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I didn't say Payet was worse, just he needed replacing and West Ham have done that to some degree, which was a matter of urgency and Arnautovic has proven to be a good player at Stoke so it's a decent signing. 

Hernandez has 28 goals in fifty-odd games, which is a decent record, injuries included. 

Hart will be a decent signing for a club like West Ham. He's not at a massive club anymore so should be okay. 

How good was he at Stoke? Strikes me as being alright when it's going their way and useless when it isn't.

Hernandez I think is their best signing but still maintain he is a bit over-rated.

Hart wasn't at a massive club last year either and was very mistake prone. It could work out but I'm not at all sold personally. Think he's excellent on his day but not particularly reliable.

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Chelsea and Everton have done the best deals so far this summer.  Chelsea have an extremely compact side that can challenge for any honour next season and Everton if everything aligns itself in the stars, could have a tremendous season.

Stop posting the exact same things I want to. >:( Stop reading my mind.

City have massively improved their team at full-back and Bernardo Silva is also a brilliant addition. Unless Ederson also freakishly loses all confidence like Bravo, he too should improve them.

Their team is most improved since the window started, but the cost makes it hard to claim they've had the best window. 

• Subscriber

I don't think we've got enough up front or sacked off enough of the dead weight to say we're even remotely close to the top of this. If we sell Barkley and sign Sigurdsson for more money then that's even worse.

We have made some great signings, don't get me wrong, but I don't know about "good business" when Calvert-Lewin is our main out and out striker and our fans are seriously discussing Besic as our best option to partner Keane.

Need to sell Barkley, Robles, either Williams or Jagielka, and either McCarthy or Barry, then bring in another central defender and a striker then I think we've nailed it. 

Bournemouth have done the best so far, imo. Begovic is a good keeper, too good to be sat on a bench for Chelsea. Defoe is Defoe - he was just about the only good thing about Sunderland's season last year. He's not the best striker in the world, but he's clearly above average and has been prem proven for a while. Their other 2 signings aren't too impressive tbh, but they're cheap.

Everton have also done well. They've cleared out a lot of shite and they've brought in a lot of new faces. The only real step down they've made is Lukaku for Rooney, but that was an incredibly profitable decision for them. And they get a player who's got a lot of good experience and cares about the club - so my guess is he won't be monumentally shite either.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Bournemouth have done the best so far, imo. Begovic is a good keeper, too good to be sat on a bench for Chelsea. Defoe is Defoe - he was just about the only good thing about Sunderland's season last year. He's not the best striker in the world, but he's clearly above average and has been prem proven for a while. Their other 2 signings aren't too impressive tbh, but they're cheap.

Everton have also done well. They've cleared out a lot of shite and they've brought in a lot of new faces. The only real step down they've made is Lukaku for Rooney, but that was an incredibly profitable decision for them. And they get a player who's got a lot of good experience and cares about the club - so my guess is he won't be monumentally shite either.

Nathan Ake was £20mil. I wouldn't call that cheap for Bournemouth.

Defoe I think you'll get a good year out of, then not a great deal following that. Haven't got a clue why they've given him 3 years on that kind of money.

As for Everton... I'm not seeing how Sigurdsson makes £40mil's worth of difference to them when they've already got Klaassen and Barkley, unless Barkley goes. Unless they spend big on a forward too I can't see the sense.

40 minutes ago, Danny said:

In terms of players brought in and cost, I'd say Bournemouth.

Wouldnt put Everton up there personally, spent £75m and I don't see how they improve on the teams above them.

Who are they capable of signing who would improve them to that level though? They'd have to sign a top player from one of those clubs or equivalent abroad, not going to happen. Everton have signed astutely and wisely thus far but siggurdson would be a poor decision.

Archived