talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pep Guardiola: The Billion Euro Man

15009839800485.jpg

Guardiola's spending gets more and more spectacular

Josep "Pep" Guardiola was once known as the man that relied on youth and promoted from within.  That was his initial philosophy when he took charge of the hot seat at FC Barcelona and even though that particular tenure contained some big signings like Ibrahimović (in fairness the Swede wasn't even his signing) and Chigryniskyi, in general it was indeed a revolution from within containing an amazing golden generation coming from La Masia.  He should've known, because he had just been promoted to head coach of the club where he'd been coaching the youth setups for a number of years with Luis Enrique.

He was actually signed by Bayern Munich after his New York sabbatical for this particular reason but even the Bavarian club had placed all the possible faith in him with all the names he could muster on a piece of paper signed, sealed and delivered by the German club's faithful board.

As time has gone by his obsessions with particular positions on the field of play have become an almost characterisation of a perfect example of OCD.  He rotates, signs, punishes those that "mislead" him into signing them and gets into ruts with almost anyone that disputes his vision and how to obtain it.

In that image above we can see a few of the major signings he's made over the years coaching at three major clubs in three big leagues and the amounts of money he's thrown at the search for perfection within his vision on how to play the game.

We have now surpassed the €1b mark while at Manchester City on his signings and it doesn't look like it's gong to stop!  But is anyone going to stop him or is he going to come to his senses and go back to basics?

In truth...  Are you even allowed right now in this spending madness that has enveloped football to be able to experiment and invent something special?

He is a victim of his own success and how he achieved it.  He put in place a mechanical system that had no end of creation and fitted in theory within the practical.  He was permitted to do this and that rested a fanatical part of his mind that knows no end in the search for the completion of something that was started in the late 70s.

In the interactive link provided (it's in Spanish) you can see his spending spiral and how it's eaten him away.

Caixa Guardiola: se ha gastado mil millones de euros en fichajes 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a modern manager as successful as him that doesn't spend like that? Mourinho has, read somewhere Fergy spent £800m+ throughout his career which whilst 26 years is longer than say about a decade, expensive players were a lot cheaper in the 90s/early 2000s. Think even Ancelotti is up there.

Is this recent explosion of fees driven by a increase in profits or is it the result of the investment of billionaire owners? Anyway, I´m not sure this financial model is sustainable, especially with the slow decadence of cable tv. I think the TV rights bubble will pop. 

10 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

Is this recent explosion of fees driven by a increase in profits or is it the result of the investment of billionaire owners? Anyway, I´m not sure this financial model is sustainable, especially with the slow decadence of cable tv. I think the TV rights bubble will pop. 

So how do you think people will watch games mate?

Illegal streaming?  The majority of people don't do that although it is rather popular amongst some...  It tends to be directed to a foreign league to their country.

But everything is going PPV and very few countries now show the Champions League (for example) on Free To Air TV.  In Italy it ended last season and now it's all on Mediaset and SKY Italia and in Spain FTV for the Champions League ends at the end of the coming season.  If you want to watch top football you're going to have to pay for it and because in many countries it's split between various platforms, then there's competition which is what drives prices up instead of dong the opposite in terms of bidding.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

So how do you think people will watch games mate?

Illegal streaming?  The majority of people don't do that although it is rather popular amongst some...  It tends to be directed to a foreign league to their country.

But everything is going PPV and very few countries now show the Champions League (for example) on Free To Air TV.  In Italy it ended last season and now it's all on Mediaset and SKY Italia and in Spain FTV for the Champions League ends at the end of the coming season.  If you want to watch top football you're going to have to pay for it and because in many countries it's split between various platforms, then there's competition which is what drives prices up instead of dong the opposite in terms of bidding.

I have no idea what will happen, Balon. But I think the industry will go through a major change and probably not without some pains. If I had to guess, I´d say most leagues will coordinate with large media groups to develop their own streaming system, like those of the american leagues, such as MLB TV.

5 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

I have no idea what will happen, Balon. But I think the industry will go through a major change and probably not without some pains. If I had to guess, I´d say most leagues will coordinate with large media groups to develop their own streaming system, like those of the american leagues, such as MLB TV.

Do you mean clubs going for it themselves?

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Do you mean clubs going for it themselves?

No, leagues and, in some case, federations. For example, LaLiga and Telefónica starting a worldwide streaming service, like a Netflix, for LaLiga matches. You pay 150 euros for season and you can watch all games. I think that could be the model going forward. 

10 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

No, leagues and, in some case, federations. For example, LaLiga and Telefónica starting a worldwide streaming service, like a Netflix, for LaLiga matches. You pay 150 euros for season and you can watch all games. I think that could be the model going forward. 

Oh right...  Because clubs tried it for a while in Spain about 12 to 15 years back and it obviously didn't work.  As with everything, the rich got richer and the poor got poorer because nobody bought the Osasuna v Extremadura game etc... etc...

What you say would take a lot of planning and would have the monopolies commission asking a hell of a lot of questions.

Obviously there's always ways around everything and I have no doubt that it can all metamorphosise.  But I don't see the media bubble bursting anytime soon!

The reason most countries if not all have various leagues from around the world available if you want them on various platforms is a directive from football so as to make it global, so as to make it more popular with youth and for the youths to get more involved in players and clubs from all over the place.  This creates hysteria and that turns into appeal and consumption.  That consumption turns finally into the media platforms bidding crazy money to show the most popular stuff which will then be marketed with more pumped into it.  Nobody wants only one strong league, but for that to happen, the players have to be shared out if you get my meaning (like the "all the Silver" quip you gave me on another thread ;)) and that's going to be met with a battle from other sectors. xD

I am kinda bored of saying the same thing all over again but Guardiola inherited every club he managed. Inherited a strong Barcelona, inherited a strong Bayern, inherited a rich City. If he ever wants to be considered one of the greatest managers, he should take over a team with a limited squad and funds.

16 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I am kinda bored of saying the same thing all over again but Guardiola inherited every club he managed. Inherited a strong Barcelona, inherited a strong Bayern, inherited a rich City. If he ever wants to be considered one of the greatest managers, he should take over a team with a limited squad and funds.

Cant agree with you on his days at barcelona, they were not the best when he came in and he had balls to make some of those changes to the team that he made in 2008 summer. Sending out Toure and promoting an unknown youth player Buquets is the greatest gamble I have seen, that position is so vital for that barcelona team and he trusted busquets with that. 

I wouldnt say he failed with bayern since he didnt win the champions league because its a knockout tournament and anything can happen on a given day but they did really play great football under Pep and at the same time I dont call it a great success despite hattrick leagues as we know Bayern more or less wins it every year.

Im curious to see what he does with city, true they have a lot of money and they already spent quite a bit this summer already especially on fullbacks but the ones they currently had arereally old and close to retirement with the likes of sagna, kolarov, zabaletta. The prices they spent on them are very high but if he wins something big with city I think he will be okay, they should atleast get into the semis of champions league and win the premier league or finish second to call it a successful season I reckon. Time will tell.

13 hours ago, El_Loco said:

I think it will just be declining advertising revenues of tv services leading to increasing consolidation amongst broadcasters/networks and therefore less competition for rights deals between broadcasters leading to the winning bidders offering less than they did the previous years. 

13 hours ago, True Blue said:

Barcelona weren't that strong when Guardiola took over. A good team but a shadow of what they were and what they became. If anything he got lucky through la Maisa having possibly the greatest generation of talent of all time.

His time at Bayern lacked a Champions League win, but only two clubs have managed at least two CL/EC wins within 4 years of eachother in the last 27 years and they're Barce and Real Madrid.

And whilst the Bundesliga maybe "easy" to win, the last time Bayern won three league titles in a row was 16 years ago. Throw in 2/3 German cup wins too, if someone fairly unknown or not as good as Guardiola done that they'd get plaudits.

He'll most likely never emulate what he did at Barce, they were the best two sides of my lifetime, hands down. But to say he done a bad job because he didn't win the CL despite his domestic success is ignorant of the facts.

City should have won something last season, maybe not the league and I can see why he fielded a team of youngsters against United in the League Cup, but after doing that they should have won the FA Cup. That is a genuine criticism and the first he's ever had which is remarkable regardless of how "easy" people think he's had it, I don't think this season will be the same mind.

On 7/26/2017 at 4:42 PM, True Blue said:

I agree with the first part completely. But he is beyond the point where he is going to build a team at a club with real strife. He can cherry pick jobs for the rest of his career, so no way will he go manage an Ajax, or Porto

6 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

I agree with the first part completely. But he is beyond the point where he is going to build a team at a club with real strife. He can cherry pick jobs for the rest of his career, so no way will he go manage an Ajax, or Porto

Yeah true, i didn't really hope he would manage a team with limited funds or team in the future. It is from rich to richer with Pep now.

In terms of resources there's not much higher you can go. Tbh I don't even know if he'll be interested in another club job after this.

He's probably made more money than you could spend and he's never going to be as successful as he was in his first 4 years. The main reason he went to City was because he was interested in English football and wanted to experience all 3 of the biggest leagues. 

43 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Why?

Are you kidding?

Considering they tipped him to win the league last year. Failed to do so let alone win anything,  and the media created the concept that "Pep needs his own players", making out he is the greatest manager of all time or some bollocks whilst ignoring the fact he failed to adapt with the players at his disposal and ruled out how other clubs would fair if Klopp, Conte, Poch, and Mourinho "Got their own players". 

Praised for implementing youth yet on the verge of completely a 300 million transfer window. Has 'His players', so most undoubtedly will be tipped to 'walk the league'. 

It would be glorious if he failed just as last season. 

Archived