talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will This Be The Hardest Ever Season To Win The League?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

my guess is that 3 teams will be relegated a couple of weeks before the end of the season. 3 teams will go in to the title race on the final day battling it out which will play perfectly in to Sky's hands.

You could make a case for any of the top 6 of last season winning it but I don't think that makes it harder to win. That group of teams have it easy, hence the gap between them and the rest of the league. Just got to have a little run like Chelsea last season and it's theirs. 

Depends what you mean. It's maybe the hardest to predict, with there being the most competitors, and so each big team having the slimmest chance to win it. 

However, is that a "more difficult" situation than needing to beat Mourinho's Chelsea or Ferguson's United? Depends on whether you think difficult means needing to outperform a single or maybe two teams who fall amongst the greatest of all time, or medium-size group of extremely strong teams.

It's not harder to win. It just makes the start of the campaign more unpredictable with 3 or 4 clubs. Like most seasons, you get an idea of how things are shaping 3 months in. What it is, is saturated but things always remain the same. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

It's not harder to win. It just makes the start of the campaign more unpredictable with 3 or 4 clubs. Like most seasons, you get an idea of how things are shaping 3 months in. What it is, is saturated but things always remain the same

I beg to differ! 

And so should you with Arsenal not finishing 4th last season ;)

Yep. Probably it will be the toughest. And maybe the toughest year to finish top 4.

No new managers in the top 8.  everyone established and had a full summer to strengthen. Finetuning, not rebuilding. 

The premier was more elite in the early 2000's but was still a two horse race and definitely less competitive across the board than it is now. 

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The quality is undoubtedly getting continually worse, when was the last decent championship winning side that could hold their own in europe,Man Utd 2009?

Im not sure it's getting harder to win though, last few titles have been comfortably won.

I don't think it s getting worse and worse. There has been a gap since fergie retired but there is 5 decent sides that could challange for the title.  No top league in europe can say that.

6 hours ago, HK85 said:

You could make a case for any of the top 6 of last season winning it but I don't think that makes it harder to win. That group of teams have it easy, hence the gap between them and the rest of the league. Just got to have a little run like Chelsea last season and it's theirs. 

I don't think you can. Chelsea or Man City. Don't think any of the others will come close to be honest

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't think it s getting worse and worse. There has been a gap since fergie retired but there is 5 decent sides that could challange for the title.  No top league in europe can say that.

Because the quality is shite, Leicester won the league for fuck's sake and Chelsea are hardly much better. The Premier League is as bad as its been since the late 90s.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It really wasn't. 

Chelsea were better than Leicester who finished first the year before. Spurs in second were better than arsenal the year before.  Man city were about the same as spurs who finished third the year before.  All of the religated teams apart from sunderland had good runs.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but personally i disagree with you 

28 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think last year the quality of football at the top was much better than it was two years ago.

Having said that, I don't think the league is anywhere near as good as it was in the 2000s.

No I don't think it is. But I don't think the gap is as big as some people make out. It is more open though which makes it more interesting.

5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think you can. Chelsea or Man City. Don't think any of the others will come close to be honest

Ah come on, you have Salah now. The missing piece of the jigsaw. Finish above Norbert's Reds and you win the league. 

• Administrator

Mourinho has quite the winning second season syndrome when it comes to the Premier League, I'd expect a serious title bid from United this season. It'll be dour football though. 

I think it stands to be an interesting season. The dynamic at Chelsea has shifted, Man City own virtually all wingbacks, Arsenal actually loosed the purse strings and bought someone people know, Everton have splashed out the cash, Spurs have just sold and my beloved ManU have got some serious depth to the squad. Notwithstanding some really good captures by a potential dark horse in West Ham.

With a big chunk of the window to go things are looking positive for a good title battle.

Of course this may all prove pointless hocum, but I have a good feeling this year...

Archived