talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will This Be The Hardest Ever Season To Win The League?

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The year when Leicester won it was bad. Last year was much better. 

I hear this a lot and I just don't see it. When we got our act together and reverted to what we were good at last year we were one of the leagues form sides again. Very few sides blew me away with their quality and a lot of them were absolutely piss easy victories. Spurs at the end an exception, they were genuinely superb.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We get the same question every year like Southampton can win the Premier League.  The worst thing that could ever have happened was Leicester City winning it because it produced an aura of uncertainty within the league and what it was was underperformance from the "big" clubs in the division (this with all due respect to Leicester because they won it fair and square).

There is no mystery...  In reality the league will be won between three clubs which are Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City.  Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and whoever else you want to place in the mix haven't got a chance.  It's all about being conditioned by a lie.

• Subscriber

I don't think this question can be answered. The quality at the top end of the league (which I don't think has improved even half as much as the money spent suggests) plays a very small part in what makes it difficult to win the league. Consistently winning matches when the league has strength in depth is where the real challenge is. 

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't think this question can be answered. The quality at the top end of the league (which I don't think has improved even half as much as the money spent suggests) plays a very small part in what makes it difficult to win the league. Consistently winning matches when the league has strength in depth is where the real challenge is. 

So what you're suggesting is that quite a number of clubs have a chance of winning the Premier League?

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

So what you're suggesting is that quite a number of clubs have a chance of winning the Premier League?

What I'm saying is that what would make the league more difficult to win would be teams like Bournemouth, Stoke, West Ham becoming really difficult to beat, moreso than the top six splashing out massive fees on glamour players. 

On your point I think City, Chelsea and United have a good chance and you can never rule out Spurs. Arsenal will be nowhere near and nor will Liverpool unless they keep Coutinho and sign 2-3 more quality players. 

I feel like at the end of the day the league gets harder and harder to win with all the money the mediocre teams get better and better. You place a team like today's Soton in the EPL in the 90's they'd have been legit. 

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

We get the same question every year like Southampton can win the Premier League.  The worst thing that could ever have happened was Leicester City winning it because it produced an aura of uncertainty within the league and what it was was underperformance from the "big" clubs in the division (this with all due respect to Leicester because they won it fair and square).

There is no mystery...  In reality the league will be won between three clubs which are Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City.  Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and whoever else you want to place in the mix haven't got a chance.  It's all about being conditioned by a lie.

I think Liverpool have. I think Spurs would if they were playing at the lane.

58 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Liverpool won't be close going by their activity so far.

If we get Keita and VVD as well as keeping Coutinho, we'll be pretty strong. 

If not then we'll not even make top 4. 

34 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

It's not the hardest but definitely the most unpredictable, and therein lies the reason why this league is way more entertaining to watch than the other leagues.

Oh I don't know? You could always watch Barca & Real fight it out for the 106th year running and if that doesn't get your juices flowing you could always watch Bayern have an epic battle against absolutely no one. 

On 28/07/2017 at 0:45 AM, SirBalon said:

Infact Real Madrid have only won it twice in 10 years! xD

Had it not been for 3 measly points it would've been once in a decade. >:(

I think that is down to barca's brilliance more than madrid being bad. I think it's fair to say Madrid would have one more in any other league  in the world.  Are Barcelona your second team? I always get abit confused with your background :D

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think that is down to barca's brilliance more than madrid being bad. I think it's fair to say Madrid would have one more in any other league  in the world.  Are Barcelona your second team? I always get abit confused with your background :D

He flip flops between teams. Was big on Everton in the 80s when they had Lineker.

Nowhere near. Premier League was at its strongest a decade ago or so, a top four that was dominating Europe, players like Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Scholes, Vidic, Ferdinand, VDS,  Drogba, Lampard, Anelka, Essien, Cole, Terry, Cech, Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano, Reina, Arsenal to an extent...managers like Mourinho, Fergy, Rafa in his prime...then the likes of Villa, Everton, Spurs following them, Pompey and even Blackburn hitting top 10 under Redknapp and Hughes....Premier League just isn't that strong anymore.

On 28/07/2017 at 7:08 AM, LFCMadLad said:

Oh I don't know? You could always watch Barca & Real fight it out for the 106th year running and if that doesn't get your juices flowing you could always watch Bayern have an epic battle against absolutely no one. 

Not sure what League you're watching but in the last decade there have been 4 different league winners in England and 3 in Spain...one of those English being Leicester in one of the most appalling league campaigns for English "big" clubs. The Barce/Real dominance is no different to the United/Chelsea dominance. Everyone said there was 6 teams that could win the league last year but really there was 2. The apparent competitiveness of the PL is blown out of proportion and really is no better than Spain.

Archived