• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL Gameweek 31 Fixtures - 15-17th April, 2023

football forum

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Big dive from Paqueta. Gabriel pulls out of the challenge.

I don’t think Gabriel pulled out enough. His knee was still there to collies with Paqueta. He definitely played for it mind. Arsenal better not bottle this. 

• Subscriber

All looking very bottle-shaped from Arsenal this second half which is a shame because they've been brilliant all season and City winning the title again would be a total bore.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

This weekend is just absolutely shit. I was resigned to losing our game but the other results are just shit, and it's not over yet either I feel.

West Ham were probably out of reach anyway for those of us in the bottom few. I do have a nasty feeling though that Liverpool are going to be massive shithouses and let Leeds have a result off them tomorrow night after they gave Bournemouth their launchpad to survival a few weeks back.

• Administrator

Arsenal fucking it up.

Like they had a total mindfuck at 2-0 and thought the game was over way too early. Not sure what the tactics were either. I know Jesus would drop deep to get the ball, but he was collecting it off the centre-backs. Unsure why. Then the ball would be switched out wide further up the pitch to Saka or Martinelli, and no one would be in the middle.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

All looking very bottle-shaped from Arsenal this second half which is a shame because they've been brilliant all season and City winning the title again would be a total bore.

West Ham were probably out of reach anyway for those of us in the bottom few. I do have a nasty feeling though that Liverpool are going to be massive shithouses and let Leeds have a result off them tomorrow night after they gave Bournemouth their launchpad to survival a few weeks back.

Liverpool haven't scored a single goal away to a bottom half team all season. Don't place any hope in them. I'm sensing Forest are about to get another dose of disgusting luck go their way as well - I mean look at the number of players dropping for Man Utd.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Rick said:

I’m sorry to say this to you all, but we will definitely be handing Leeds some points tomorrow night. 

Cunts.

Football twitter in full flow. Arsenal were widely discredited in the Summer and barely anyone predicted they’d be top 4…all of a sudden they’re bottle jobs as they struggle to keep pace with Pep Guardiola and Erling Haaland’s Man City.

There’s still a lot of footy to be played, City could have 6 extra games outside of the PL to play come the end of the season, both sides have some difficult away days and City have to play us at the Gtech on the final day of the season. This could quite easily still go down to the wire.

• Subscriber

Much as I want to get annoyed at the others handing rivals points - it's entirely our own fault. Our idiot board for sticking with a poisonous manager until fucking April when it was obvious about a year ago he needed to go. We could've been out of this position entirely but we just chose to let it get to this.

Even if we survive I want substantial changes at this club. This season has been an utter disgrace.

Yeah I don't think they're bottlejobs I just think they've been overhyped due to City having an iffy season by their standards and almost every other top 6 side having poor/mediocre seasons.

If City and Liverpool had both been at their best then Arsenal could have comfortably finished 3rd and, after the way it ended for them last season, it would have been rightly seen as a big achievement. 

There have not been many games where I've watched them and thought they were at the title-winning standard that's generally been required for the last 5 years or so. And if City got back to their typical level of performance and it became the type of title run-in we have seen before, where you need to be perfect and win a massive series of games under the worst imaginable pressure, they arent at that level.

City could still somehow blow it from here but if they have anything like their usual end of season run of form, it's game over, pretty much. 

• Subscriber

They have definitely bottled it today. I can perhaps forgive it at Anfield but weaker Arsenal sides usually win at stronger West Ham sides. No European game either side to distract them like West Ham had. 2 up early on and they completely caved in again.

21 minutes ago, Danny said:

Football twitter in full flow. Arsenal were widely discredited in the Summer and barely anyone predicted they’d be top 4…all of a sudden they’re bottle jobs as they struggle to keep pace with Pep Guardiola and Erling Haaland’s Man City.

There’s still a lot of footy to be played, City could have 6 extra games outside of the PL to play come the end of the season, both sides have some difficult away days and City have to play us at the Gtech on the final day of the season. This could quite easily still go down to the wire.

Expectations change during the season. If Brentford were to all of sudden drop and finish 17th, you would say it was a disappointing end to the season, not that you’re glad to survive. 

Arsenal making the game emotional at Anfield, rather than being professional and putting another past us when they were clearly dominant and being careless today is very poor. Regardless of where they thought they would be last august, they should manage both games a lot better. 

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

Expectations change during the season. If Brentford were to all of sudden drop and finish 17th, you would say it was a disappointing end to the season, not that you’re glad to survive. 

Arsenal making the game emotional at Anfield, rather than being professional and putting another past us when they were clearly dominant and being careless today is very poor. Regardless of where they thought they would be last august, that’s poor. 

Manchester City have beaten Liverpool at Anfield in the Premier League only once in the last 12 seasons, including this season. Did Xhaka rile the crowd up? Yes. Would it be foolish to not expect an Anfield crowd to get riled up against a potential league winner at any point throughout a match? Also yes.

For Arsenal to win the league based on how many points City have accrued so far they would need to collect at least 88 points in total, that would mean winning 5 of their remaining 7 games. City are currently on their best run of form of the season which could push that average up from 87 points well into the 90s.

Of course it would be disappointing for Arsenal fans to get this far into a title race and not win the league but they have spent the last 6 seasons out of the top 4, most of that comfortably out of the top 4. This season will be looked at as a success for them regardless of who wins the league, even if it leaves them feeling disappointed. Bottling doesn’t come into the conversation, sometimes you are just not yet ready for the challenge that you currently face.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Rick said:

Arsenal making the game emotional at Anfield, rather than being professional and putting another past us when they were clearly dominant and being careless today is very poor. Regardless of where they thought they would be last august, they should manage both games a lot better. 

It's exactly the same argument we have about finishing 5th in 2020 and 2021 - would've both been acceptable in the summer. In January of each season you'd be livid.

These chances don't come very often. Admittedly, Man City have been unreal lately so they've largely been responsible for taking the chance away.

The behind closed doors season was a big chance, that was a relatively low points tally for the league winner now.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived