talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Daniel Levy - Transfer Spending Unsustainable

"Some of the activity that is going on at the moment is just impossible for it to be sustainable.

"Somebody spending £200m more than they're earning, eventually it catches up with you. And you can't keep doing it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40722879

Man City and Chelsea have billionaires who just cook the books. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FFP has to be looked again and redesigned which I think I'm right in saying is happening right now with the European Parliament and UEFA. They got it wrong last time around but there are ways to make it good for all.

Levy is correct though... What some clubs are actually doing now is using sponsorship deals to actually finance the transfer fee and that I thought was actually illegal. 

11 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

That's the way Football is at every level in England though, it's not down to FFP or any other ruling. 

There's no way clubs are only spending revenue they have made. What you can't have are multiple sponsorships being brought in in complexed big money negotiations because it's unfair further down the line with more modest clubs that are competing against you in various competitions. 

26 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

There's no way clubs are only spending revenue they have made. What you can't have are multiple sponsorships being brought in in complexed big money negotiations because it's unfair further down the line with more modest clubs that are competing against you in various competitions. 

I'm not arguing that isn't one route to spending more, it certainly is and it's worked in the past (Bournemouth's Russian investors suddenly started sponsoring corner flags for millions when they were in League One to bend the rules). 

It's not just a 'big club' problem though. There's history right through the lower leagues and the non-league pyramid of teams not spending within their means (Billericay Town and their £25k a week wage budget being a current example) and effectively "buying" promotions.

It is hard to Police this based on other teams not being able to do the same IMO. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

FFP has to be looked again and redesigned which I think I'm right in saying is happening right now with the European Parliament and UEFA. They got it wrong last time around but there are ways to make it good for all.

Levy is correct though... What some clubs are actually doing now is using sponsorship deals to actually finance the transfer fee and that I thought was actually illegal. 

Man City are using sponsors that are already owned by the owners themselves.  The whole thing is crazy, but who is going to say anything to the owners of Man City when they bailed a lot of the banks out in England during the financial crisis. 

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Levy:  Recieves over £140m for 2 players - Moans players cost too much. 

Because of chairman like him, the price goes up now for players what were worth 10 million last season and now cost £25 million, Arnautovic is the prime example.

This year has struck me as the biggest most noticeable year on year jump in player valuations. 

Across the board you've got serious, vey real questions of spending £200m on Neymar and £160m for Mbappe coming close to doubling the current record. Down the line to what is now your middle bracket players such as £50m kyle walkers and Sigurdsons, your £25m Arnatauvics and £35m Salahs....

It almost feels like prices have doubled from last year which is totally ridiculous and should cause the whole sport to be shut down and investigated.

41 minutes ago, Harry said:

This year has struck me as the biggest most noticeable year on year jump in player valuations. 

Across the board you've got serious, vey real questions of spending £200m on Neymar and £160m for Mbappe coming close to doubling the current record. Down the line to what is now your middle bracket players such as £50m kyle walkers and Sigurdsons, your £25m Arnatauvics and £35m Salahs....

It almost feels like prices have doubled from last year which is totally ridiculous and should cause the whole sport to be shut down and investigated.

Not to pissed at Lineker anymore. It feels like he's on the minimum wage now. :ph34r:

58 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Because of chairman like him, the price goes up now for players what were worth 10 million last season and now cost £25 million, Arnautovic is the prime example.

What stupid logic. The fault is absolutelt with the clubs who pay it and a system which encourages this ridiculous inflation, it's a result of capitalisation of football.

Levy is a good chairman and gets the best deal for his club but he's correct in his criticism. 

Bubble will burst sooner or later. Or England will become isolated from the transfer market, with no continentals wanting to buy or sell to English clubs.

Personally I hope Uefa fucking scrap the premier league and make the Champo the top teir for a season. Would do wonders for the state of things long term.

18 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Personally I hope Uefa fucking scrap the premier league and make the Champo the top teir for a season. Would do wonders for the state of things long term.

Haha, That is exactly what the top clubs all across Europe want. The CL would become the European League  under the clubs control without any involvement of UEFA and the individual leagues would beg their big clubs to stick around n continue to play in it. Oh and the Premier league would continue to be the best national league in the world, just not affiliated to UEFA.

Just out of a matter of interest, how would your "hope do wonders for the state of things long term."

Anyone mentioned yet what Levy's view is really about yet?

Its a smokescreen to try and help the Spurs fans stop from feeling being left out as everyone spends their TV n Sponsorship money, while Spurs count the pennies paying for their new stadium.

It's purely bad luck on Spurs. Best side they have had in decades and a new stadium forcing them out for at least a season. They should be thankful they have taken City's pants down for a very average full back to help with the fixture n fittings at the new Lane.

17 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Anyone mentioned yet what Levy's view is really about yet?

Its a smokescreen to try and help the Spurs fans stop from feeling being left out as everyone spends their TV n Sponsorship money, while Spurs count the pennies paying for their new stadium.

It's purely bad luck on Spurs. Best side they have had in decades and a new stadium forcing them out for at least a season. They should be thankful they have taken City's pants down for a very average full back to help with the fixture n fittings at the new Lane.

Wenger has used a similar tactic in the past aimed at the Arsenal fans but where he made it look like a genuine whinge at the situation revolving high prices. This from a coach that's the third highest earner in the game where coaches are in question.

The funniest one though was Mourinho having a commet on this two days ago... How much has he spent in his time as coach?

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

What stupid logic. The fault is absolutelt with the clubs who pay it and a system which encourages this ridiculous inflation, it's a result of capitalisation of football.

Levy is a good chairman and gets the best deal for his club but he's correct in his criticism. 

Levy holds on and drives a hard deal, but on the other foot he doesnt want to spend over the odds but sells over the odds, it works both ways.  Really Its all keeping up with other clubs and staying in the premier league, but all this new TV Revenue etc is pointless now as the clubs are spending even more.  Its going to end bad and mostly its down to the way the Premier League brand is set up, overall the prices of TV will go up and up as well as Tickets to keep up with all this.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Wenger has used a similar tactic in the past aimed at the Arsenal fans but where he made it look like a genuine whinge at the situation revolving high prices. This from a coach that's the third highest earner in the game where coaches are in question.

The funniest one though was Mourinho having a commet on this two days ago... How much has he spent in his time as coach?

Wenger is very much the same, even though he is a manager and not a chairman, it feels like Wenger is a chairman due to the control he has at the club.  The thing about Spurs, Levy is using this as an excuse because he is going down the same way as Arsenal, not spending until all the debts are paid off with the new stadium plus he will want to keep more % of the revenue which it all brings.   Levy is a very clever liar which will backfire in this instance as Its obvious which direction he is taking the club, if he continues to sell big players and not buy then its the same wasted model as Arsenal by leading the fans down a fairy tale path with a new stadium.  

Levy reminds me of those businessmen who for the last 25 years have been saying house price inflation is unsustainable and the "bubble will burst any minute now"

The failed predictions are caused by looking at the wrong supply of money.

Ironic coming from Levy, sets inflated prices for his own players, but wants other team's players at a bargain price. No doubt the new stadium is affecting Spurs spending, but I suspect Levy's cheapness is a factor as well.

2 hours ago, VanPanna said:

Levy holds on and drives a hard deal, but on the other foot he doesnt want to spend over the odds but sells over the odds, it works both ways.  Really Its all keeping up with other clubs and staying in the premier league, but all this new TV Revenue etc is pointless now as the clubs are spending even more.  Its going to end bad and mostly its down to the way the Premier League brand is set up, overall the prices of TV will go up and up as well as Tickets to keep up with all this.

I'm struggling to understand how you think, are you 4 years old? 

You come to me and want to buy my car for 500 and I say, because I really want to keep it, nah it's gonna be 2k at least and you pay it, how is that my fault? You probably would judging by the intelligence you display on here.

Calling you a moron after the event is still true even if I was the person to benefit from your stupidity.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm struggling to understand how you think, are you 4 years old? 

You come to me and want to buy my car for 500 and I say, because I really want to keep it, nah it's gonna be 2k at least and you pay it, how is that my fault? You probably would judging by the intelligence you display on here.

Calling you a moron after the event is still true even if I was the person to benefit from your stupidity.

You're being somewhat harsh, there is merit in both views here 

I don't understand how Levy can be at fault though, he should sell on the cheap because 'the market' might suffer? 

You put a ridiculous figure on a player because you don't want to sell them, if that club is rich enough to not care then well, maybe the failure lies in system which allows such opulence while there is such a poverty. A direct parallel of the society we live in, perhaps.

Archived