talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sunderland Sign Steele And Grabban

Sunderland have signed striker Lewis Grabban on a season-long loan from Premier League club Bournemouth and Blackburn Rovers goalkeeper Jason Steele for an undisclosed fee.

Grabban, 29, scored three goals in 19 games while on loan at Championship play-off finalists Reading last season.

Steele, 26, has signed a four-year contract with the Championship side.

Grabban said the chance to play under Black Cats boss Simon Grayson had helped convince him to move.

"The size of the club and its history attracted me, as well the manager. It's a good opportunity for me," he told the Championship club's website.

"He told me what he wanted and what his ambitions were, and that's why I'm here."

Cherries boss Eddie Howe said Grabban would be able to leave "for the right offer" and has not been given a squad number at the club.

Source: BBC Sport

Not too fussed to see Steele leave as we have received a decent fee for him, around 500k, and we have a ready made replacement in David Raya. Mowbray has said its likely he will be able to use the money raised to re-invest in the squad. We do need an experienced back up keeper either in on loan or a free, but who is likely to be number 2 to Raya. Steele is a decent keeper but he made a lot of errors last season. If it means we can keep hold of Mulgrew, Bennett, Lenihan etc by selling Steele to raise money to improve the squad then its the best player to lose in terms of quality. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expected Sunderland to be aiming better than this. Lewis Grabban has pace and goes through purple patches of scoring but I wouldn't want to rely on him to get out of this division whilst Steele is one who never lived up to his reputation. A team like Milwall would have been better suited for both players.

Steele had an awful debut, shipping 5 goals, and getting some bad ratings by the local papers and fans! He makes too many mistakes to ever fulfil his potential. It looks like we've got a pretty good deal out of it, and we're lining up young Boro keeper Connor Ripley as Steele's replacement - he has had successful loan spells in the football league and looks a good prospect.

1 minute ago, roversgirl said:

Steele had an awful debut, shipping 5 goals, and getting some bad ratings by the local papers and fans! He makes too many mistakes to ever fulfil his potential. It looks like we've got a pretty good deal out of it, and we're lining up young Boro keeper Connor Ripley as Steele's replacement - he has had successful loan spells in the football league and looks a good prospect.

You can't read anything in to friendlies. 

I remember we lost a friendly to Leyton Orient 6-1 and went on to win the league.

However I think there is at least some measure of judgment in friendlies. We started nervy and low on confidence that season. I expect the same for Sunderland. 5-0 defeat in a friendly right before the first game of the season is going to be a kick in the balls for your confidence.

Archived