talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

PL Gameweek 32 Fixtures - 21-23rd April, 2023

football forum

• Subscriber

Arsenal technically still have it in their hands if they can go to City and win. Big ask now though. Southampton win would have been a potential disaster for us so glad they only got a point in the end.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's got to feel weird for Arsenal fans. It's a good comeback and good comebacks are always enjoyable... but this is one they'll be furious about not winning still. On paper no reason they should have not won.

I didn't watch their match at West Ham... but they've also got to be kicking themselves for not putting the match against us beyond reach in those 30-35 minutes where we absolutely could not lay a glove on them. A bit weird too how they went from so dominant to pretty poor in the second half where we were definitely the better side.

No matter where you are in the table, it's exactly the wrong time to not be able to see out a result over 90 minutes... but it's especially bad for a side that's trying to win a title. But being able to fight back and get a point is always going to be a positive, regardless. Must be a very conflicting feeling - they've got reason to be proud of their players and also reason to be pretty pissed off at them.

But I think these last 3 results for Arsenal sort of seal the deal for City. I'm not sure City drop points for the rest of the season. I hope I'm wrong though. Out of all the big clubs in England that aren't us, Arsenal are the one I hate the least. And City I just absolutely despise.

A few things with Arsenal at the mo.

Those clean sheets have evaporated. Think that's five on the bounce they haven't kept one. That was such a key part to their game in the first half of the season. Dunno if that's all down to Saliba's injury but 

Lack of experience in a title battle is showing in what's such a young team. You haven't got many battle hardened players who've got teams over the line and know what it takes. They are all new to this situation and I think they are struggling to handle the pressure that comes.

When you watch them, it feels like they are running out of ideas. Felt that way v Weat Ham and tonight. That 2nd half was so poor from Arsenal for 90% of it, not forcing the Saints keeper to make a notable save. I know they came back in the end but I was watching there and the only person demanding the ball and looking like doing something with it was Odegaard.

Anyway. I still don't think City win every game from here on out. They will get a shock from somewhere, it always happens. That Real Madrid tie is surely going to take a lot out of them and the games are coning thick and fast now, somethings going to go pear shaped somewhere still.

I also think in some ways, its put Arsenal in a better frame of mind going to the Etihad Wednesday. They could have been thinking a draw will do but you cant go there with that gameplan. They now know a win is requires. It might feel a bit more like 'shit or bust' and they really go for it. Lets see eh.

3 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

The prospect of City winning the league ahead of Arsenal and finally CL right after they were found guilty would be a poetic representation of the state of the sport.

We won't be found guilty, you all going to be disappointed lol

5 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

The prospect of City winning the league ahead of Arsenal and finally CL right after they were found guilty would be a poetic representation of the state of the sport.

We just need a Man City vs. PSG Champions League final to really hammer the last nail in the coffin.

By all accounts sounds like we dominated Villa and should have scored multiple. Disappointing to concede so late, especially in the manor we did which was similar to Wolves with the ball taking a richochet back to their player after hitting our defender.

I think if we are to be looking at European qualification next season then we need to be looking at improving the match winners in the squad, obviously Raya and Toney are that and will also be sold in the Summer and so I imagine us to have them replaced adequately. But we currently lack a forward that can contribute with goals, as do we lack a midfielder that can too. Our game plan is generally quite set around Toney so of course he is going to score the lionshare, you don't have Toney in your eleven and make someone else the focal point. But whilst Mbeumo is a great creator he's not great at finishing and whilst Wissa has got a knack for scoring important goals he can't find the consistency to start game in, game out and put them away.

We have too many midfielders in Dasilva, Onyeka, Baptiste and Damsgaard who are good enough to play at this level and good enough to operate in a squad that stays up, but currently not good enough to find the cutting egde and change the game from midfield consistently. I think we have hope for Dasilva and Damsgaard as they both have natural ability, it's just about making it consistent. Onyeka is a good midfielder but more industrious than creative and Baptiste floats between both.

It's most likely Schade will replace Toney in the Summer, Mbeumo will carry on, Norgaard will still anchor our midfield and Jensen will carry on with his great creative output. But we need to find goalscorers from midfield and attack, whether they are in the squad already or need to be signed is yet to be seen.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Leicester looking on for another pummeling, their goes my bullish prediction

How did that pummeling end up mate? 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Tielemans howler apparently. He's been a disgrace this season.

Disgrace is a stretch. But extremely under par for sure. 

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

they all are flakey even Maddison has been disinterested

Or how about having to carry the team and a load of passengers every week? You're just pissed he didn't join you in January. 

• Administrator

This says a lot:

Leicester goal scorer Timothy Castagne: "You could see the fans were happy because we tried to play better football than before - more aggressive.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

@Stan how's Dean Smith doing?

Impressed. Seems to have given the players a shit load of renewed confidence. Can tell there's a bit more defensive organisation as well with Terry there. 

Makes better subs than Rodgers, and in game management is more flexible. Rodgers was overly structured. 

• Subscriber

Just got on to WiFi as I'm still on holiday. Followed the game as best as possible. A point away to Palace is a decent result but the problem is we don't have enough points because we didn't turn up and beat Fulham last week when they were there for the taking. Today isn't going to get us relegated but we need to win some games to stay up and when there's only 6 fixtures left and you've just slipped to 18th then you don't really have time to take a draw here and a draw there.

Good that Calvert-Lewin came through 90 minutes. Holgate getting sent off at full back doesn't surprise me at all. He and Godfrey have both been awful in full back positions now so although Patterson hasn't been convincing for any long stretch of time since we signed him, he isn't worse than the centre backs we've tried there. Ideally Coleman will be back for the next one anyway.

We'll have to hope that either Leeds properly spiral and are shitter than us over the remaining games or that we can go and do a job on Leicester next weekend and switch the momentum in our favour.

Once again, it's a disgrace that this football club is even involved in this conversation given the money that's been thrown at it and the starting point Moshiri had 10 years ago. We are the lowest scoring team out of all four leagues in England after we signed Neal Maupay as backup for a target man like Calvert-Lewin and signed nobody in January. Recruitment again. It isn't complicated to work our how we got in this mess.

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Leeds are down I think

Their next two games are crucial. After that it'll be difficult but maybe they can get something away at West Ham & Man City. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Rick said:

Get in! Made hard work of it but any win will do. Villa dropping points is a real bonus as well. 

Think we played well but gave away two soft goals. Their throw ins just seemed to cause panick .

Doubt we win every game cos we've not won more than four in a row all season but if we do we'll probably make top 4

• The topic was unpinned

Archived