talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

100 Greatest Footballers of all Time

football forum

Just now, Cicero said:

How can a goalkeeper, one that demonstrates reflexes as the main attribute and hardly uses their feet in the game,  be a better 'footballer' than a player who demonstrates technical ability and intelligence on the pitch? Football needs to be categorised primarily on their ability with the ball, as this creates more attributes to analyse rather than a goal keeper who's main attributes are reflexes and positioning. 

:dam:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Philip Lahm really one of the 100 greatest footballers of all time? I mean, he was a very good player, but he wasn´t even nowhere close to being the best player at his national team and at Bayern. I don´t see how you can have him on this list and not Arjen Robben.

Just now, Cicero said:

Least post a counter argument instead of a fucking emoticon. You just look like a knob. 

That post was so full of shit I cant even respond to that. Be happy with whatever theory you want to believe about how goal keepers dont deserve to be in those lists because they dont play the ball with their feet much.

5 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

Is Philip Lahm really one of the 100 greatest footballers of all time? I mean, he was a very good player, but he wasn´t even nowhere close to being the best player at his national team and at Bayern. I don´t see how you can have him on this list and not Arjen Robben.

Isnt Lahm considered the best right back in this generation? 

1 minute ago, Asura said:

That post was so full of shit I cant even respond to that. Be happy with whatever theory you want to believe about how goal keepers dont deserve to be in those lists because they dont play the ball with their feet much.

So much shite that you can't even post a counter argument. Ok

No need to feel hard done by If the rationality in me thinks that Ronaldo is a better footballer than Gigi Buffon. 

Just now, Cicero said:

So much shite that you can't even post a counter argument. Ok

No need to feel hard done by If the rationality in me thinks that Ronaldo is a better footballer than Gigi Buffon. 

This is exactly what I said in my opening two posts in this thread. Its all subjective and just because goal keepers or defenders have ball at their feet less than the forwards doesnt mean they should not be in that list like you claim. Off the ball movement (or positioning) is as important as dribbling past 5 players. I feel like Im explaining this to someone like Swifty or Makarios now. 

4 minutes ago, Asura said:

This is exactly what I said in my opening two posts in this thread. Its all subjective and just because goal keepers or defenders have ball at their feet less than the forwards doesnt mean they should not be in that list like you claim. Off the ball movement (or positioning) is as important as dribbling past 5 players. I feel like Im explaining this to someone like Swifty or Makarios now. 

Ok. Let's make this simple. 

Do you agree that Goal Keepers have far less attributes to analyse than a midfielder or a striker? 

Just now, Cicero said:

Ok. Let's make this simple. 

Do you agree that Goal Keepers have far less attributes to analyse than a midfielder or a striker? 

I cant say if they have more or less, but they have different attributes. Not every position on the pitch needs the same qualities or strengths.

1 minute ago, Asura said:

I cant say if they have more or less, but they have different attributes. Not every position on the pitch needs the same qualities or strengths.

So you honestly can't answer a simple question whether or not goal keepers have less attributes to analyse as a midfielder or striker? Jesus wept. Talk about avoiding the issue. 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

So you honestly can't answer a simple question whether or not goal keepers have less attributes to analyse as a midfielder or striker? Jesus wept. Talk about avoiding the issue. 

Can you answer the same question with anything to back it up? I said they have different attributes than other players, whats your response to that? How are you blatantly saying they have less attributes, what do you have to prove that?

Dont even understand why are you getting your panties in a twist when I said these lists are subjective and are biased towards forwards and goal scoring mids, its a truth many people accept. 

• Subscriber

Meh give it a year and those names will be swizzled around again with the top 10 staying pretty much the same. Think Cafu might be a little too low in that list personally. 

22 minutes ago, Asura said:

Can you answer the same question with anything to back it up? I said they have different attributes than other players, whats your response to that? How are you blatantly saying they have less attributes, what do you have to prove that?

Because anyone with any decent analytical thinking can answer that question no problem. The answer is yes by the way. Goal keepers have far less attributes to analyse as opposed to a midfielder or striker. I'll even answer your question as well. 

When analysing goal keepers, the main attributes that define them are reflexes, positioning, handling, and agility. NONE of which have anything to do with the ball at their feet. 

Midfielders and Strikers are analysed by their technical ability, Passing, vision, physicality, shooting, volleys, one touch passing, ball control, first touch, dribbling, technique and composure, awareness, creativity, balance, ability to keep possession,  and basically their overall mechanics. ALL  of which involve the use of the ball. 

So how can a goal keeper, who has far less attributes to analyse and those attributes do not even involve having the ball on their feet, can be rationally ranked alongside a midfielder or striker, one that has far more attributes to analyse and all of which involve having the ball on their feet? 

I'm sorry Cicero but I'm going to have to disagree with you. A top goalkeeper on form is enough to win you games. Sure they may not have as much attributes as an outfield player but you have to look at how they've impacted their teams. 

I said that you don't need a top goalkeeper to win you tournaments, I stand by that. However I also believe that a top goalkeeper can do so. If it wasn't for Neuer, Germany weren't going to win the World Cup in 2014. I think he deserves to be on here. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Because anyone with any decent analytical thinking can answer that question no problem. The answer is yes by the way. Goal keepers have far less attributes to analyse as opposed to a midfielder or striker. I'll even answer your question as well. 

When analysing goal keepers, the main attributes that define them are reflexes, positioning, handling, and agility. NONE of which have anything to do with the ball at their feet. 

Midfielders and Strikers are analysed by their technical ability, Passing, vision, physicality, shooting, volleys, one touch passing, ball control, first touch, dribbling, technique and composure, awareness, creativity, balance, ability to keep possession,  and basically their overall mechanics. ALL  of which involve the use of the ball. 

So how can a goal keeper, who has far less attribute to analyse and those attributes do not even involve having the ball on their feet, can be rationally ranked alongside a midfielder or striker, one that has far more attributes to analyse and all of which involve having the ball on their feet? 

Hahaha you tried too hard with that by using too many synonyms for the same thing. First touch, ball control, ability to keep possession (dribbling), technique (even though technqiue is needed else where too) are all the same. Passing, vision, one touch passing, awareness are the same. Just because you used different words in english for more or less the same thing doesnt mean they are all very different.  

It would be equivalent to me saying GK's need to position, be at the right place, cover the right part of the goal, anticipate the shot direction which are all the same. 

One last time, like I said these lists are subjective and are biased to forwards, I did already agree that keepers and also defenders use the ball less but that doesnt make them any less of a player. they are trained differently because their importance in the team is different from the forwards. They dont have to use the ball much but they have other things to do which the forwards dont do. 

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

Theres a case for Robben sure, but yes i would absolutely have Lahm on here. Think of the greatest RB's of all time? whos argueably better? Maybe Zanetti off the top of my head and hes on the list i think both should be 100%.

Just now, Viva la FCB said:

Theres a case for Robben sure, but yes i would absolutely have Lahm on here. Think of the greatest RB's of all time? whos argueably better? Maybe Zanetti off the top of my head and hes on the list i think both should be 100%.

Cafu (already in there), perhaps Dani Alves and Maicon?

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

yep Cafu is there.

Dani Alves comes closest. 

11 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I'm sorry Cicero but I'm going to have to disagree with you. A top goalkeeper on form is enough to win you games. Sure they may not have as much attributes as an outfield player but you have to look at how they've impacted their teams. 

I said that you don't need a top goalkeeper to win you tournaments, I stand by that. However I also believe that a top goalkeeper can do so. If it wasn't for Neuer, Germany weren't going to win the World Cup in 2014. I think he deserves to be on here. 

1qPm2oJFSuWOI4rtFx06_Confused%20Ice%20Cu

8 minutes ago, Asura said:

Hahaha you tried too hard with that by using too many synonyms for the same thing. First touch, ball control, ability to keep possession (dribbling), technique (even though technqiue is needed else where too) are all the same. Passing, vision, one touch passing, awareness are the same. Just because you used different words in english for more or less the same thing doesnt mean they are all very different.  

It would be equivalent to me saying GK's need to position, be at the right place, cover the right part of the goal, anticipate the shot direction which are all the same. 

One last time, like I said these lists are subjective and are biased to forwards, I did already agree that keepers and also defenders use the ball less but that doesnt make them any less of a player. they are trained differently because their importance in the team is different from the forwards. They dont have to use the ball much but they have other things to do which the forwards dont do. 

Kinell why am I bothering.

First touch and ball control aren't the same thing. Lampard had a great first touch, was he a magnificent dribbler? He wasn't. 

Passing, vision, and one touch passing aren't the same thing for fucks sake. Mourinho said it best, "Anyone can pass a ball with no pressure, even I can. It's whether or not you can unlock a defence while being under pressure". Rooney was a great passer of the ball,  did he have great vision? No, he didn't. When he was moved into the CAM spot he regressed magnificently. Matic is a great passer as well, but do you see him cutting teams open with passes in the final third? Passing and Vision are not the same thing.and are analysed differently. Passing is the accuracy towards another player whereas vision is the ability to find the player in space. Vision is also highly determined if the player is under pressure and having the intelligence to finding the open man in space whilst being under pressure. 

So if they don't have the ball as much, how can they be ranked higher than those who have the ball all the time? The game involves using your feet? 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Yeah Cafu for sure good shout, Dani Alves and Lahm are great comparisons Kind of a toss up really. Maicon i just dont feel had the same longevity as the rest. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Right. In a game where 99% of the time the ball is on someones foot. 

but its 99% in Gk hands rather than his feet, sure lets go ahead and analyse about how he is not great because he doesnt use his feet.

• Administrator
Just now, Cicero said:

Right. In a game where 99% of the time the ball is on someones foot. 

surely you can't deny though that goal-keepers are important and a pre-requisite of that is them using their hands though xD ?

Haha, I had a feeling I fucked up the wording.

Better said, I think that to win tournaments, you can get away with having a shit keeper depending on other player positions and roles. That said, there are also scenarios where a keeper can win a tournament. Neuer in 2014 as I used as an example.

Archived