PL Gameweek 34 Fixtures - 29th April-4th May, 2023

football forum

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

4 on the break... how fucking useless are we

They all gave up for that Madueke chance. 

Boehly really has destroyed Chelsea, I'd imagine the changing room is toxic.

They need to clear at least ten players this summer. You are maybe looking at players that have only just signed as well.

If I was Sterling I'd be handing in a transfer request, he's a decent player and they signed about 6 players who play in a similar position. It's total no thought transfers, snatch and grab.

10 minutes ago, Devil said:

Boehly really has destroyed Chelsea, I'd imagine the changing room is toxic.

They need to clear at least ten players this summer. You are maybe looking at players that have only just signed as well.

If I was Sterling I'd be handing in a transfer request, he's a decent player and they signed about 6 players who play in a similar position. It's total no thought transfers, snatch and grab.

I do wonder if Clearlake are at all discussing internally whether or not to remove Boehly. Virtually everything we've seen this season were a result of his decisions. Sacking Marina and Buck. Buying Tuchel's targets. Sacking Tuchel for an vastly inferior and inexperienced manager. Giving that manager far too much time they've deserved because Boehly is trying to save face. Finally sack said manager but appoint a man pretending to be a manager. The list goes on and on. 

Sterling is the last player to be devoid of criticism. 325K per week, a player brought in to be a leader for these younger players, and so far he's looked like a budget Kalou minus any ability to hold up the ball. Waste of time. 

Was hoping for a few more goals for us but Chelsea unfortunately decided to try more in the second half. Back on top for a few days before Man City ruin football again.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

On the plus side, Auba is a cert to score.

I think this was literally Lampard's rationale for playing him. He strikes me as a manager who makes his decisions largely on superstition. Aka he's clueless.

Arsenal are great at defending in a certain position of the pitch but beyond that they really look average. Zinchenko just isn’t a defender and that Chelsea goal highlights the issue of him playing left back defensively when Arsenal are pushed back rather than inverted further forward

• Subscriber

Arsenal have definitely run out of steam. I think earlier in the season against a Chelsea side like that they'd have knocked them for 6/7. Good enough to win tonight but fully expect them to be soundly beaten at Newcastle.

• Administrator

I'm guessing Arsenal had one eye on the Newcastle game. Fast start, get the game done in the first half and then protect the lead. Chelsea were shit enough just to get 1 goal and that's that. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I'm guessing Arsenal had one eye on the Newcastle game. Fast start, get the game done in the first half and then protect the lead. Chelsea were shit enough just to get 1 goal and that's that. 

it will be a tough game, going to have to be on it against them as they can take advantage of any slow starts we have been having lately (bar spurs and man u)

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Arsenal have definitely run out of steam. I think earlier in the season against a Chelsea side like that they'd have knocked them for 6/7. Good enough to win tonight but fully expect them to be soundly beaten at Newcastle.

not so sure, it could be one of those games where a moment of class wins it.  Arsenal got battered by City but we are not City

15 hours ago, Dan said:

I think this was literally Lampard's rationale for playing him. He strikes me as a manager who makes his decisions largely on superstition. Aka he's clueless.

This. 

From what I've seen of his football (excluding the first half of the 2019/20 season where I am convinced it was left over Sarri residue), his "tactics" are simply putting 11 dots on a whiteboard and telling the players to give it their all. 

In no way do I believe he actually coaches. Training the players in movements and creating options in possession, particularly when playing against a press. Nor does he train the team in defensive phases and defending as a unit vs as opposed to individuals. For all of Kovacic's experience, he was picking daisies for Odegaard to score the exact same 2nd goal as the first.   

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

This. 

From what I've seen of his football (excluding the first half of the 2019/20 season where I am convinced it was left over Sarri residue), his "tactics" are simply putting 11 dots on a whiteboard and telling the players to give it their all. 

In no way do I believe he actually coaches. Training the players in movements and creating options in possession, particularly when playing against a press. Nor does he train the team in defensive phases and defending as a unit vs as opposed to individuals. For all of Kovacic's experience, he was picking daisies for Odegaard to score the exact same 2nd goal as the first.   

Honestly I'm surprised how bad Lampard actually is. I thought he'd turn out to be a better manager than this. I think after this season he's done in management, similar to Gary Neville.

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Honestly I'm surprised how bad Lampard actually is. I thought he'd turn out to be a better manager than this. I think after this season he's done in management, similar to Gary Neville.

Starting to think he's done so much damage that he won't even be a pundit. No one wants to listen to his footballing opinion when this is how he views the game should be played. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Starting to think he's done so much damage that he won't even be a pundit. No one wants to listen to his footballing opinion when this is how he views the game should be played. 

People still listen to Gary Neville even though he demonstrated he's absolutely useless as a manager. Paul Merson's been employed for god knows how long despite being useless as a pundit. There's a really low bar needed to be a pundit tbh. Did you play football and will some people recognise you by name? Okay, you're good enough to wheel out in front of a TV camera and spout your bollocks as a pundit.

I thought it was bizarre they brought in Lampard as interim manager considering it's not that long ago he was the actual manager. His time at Derby, Chelsea, and Everton before this demonstrated... he's not exactly a man you bring in to turn things around. At best he gets the club to exactly they were in the same position they were in before he ever came in. They said a lot of shit about him "knowing the club" - and sure, a lot of the players he's managing now are the same ones he was managing before... but there's also new players, players that have left either permanently or on loan, and totally new owners he's working under. So it's not 100% the same as things were before. And if he wasn't good enough before... he's not going to be good enough while the team looks lost and rudderless.

They should have gone for Fat Sam instead of Fat Frank. At least Allardyce has a track record of focusing on making teams more solid and difficult to beat. Lampard's got a track record of... not really doing much and looking like he's still got a lot to learn in football.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

People still listen to Gary Neville even though he demonstrated he's absolutely useless as a manager. Paul Merson's been employed for god knows how long despite being useless as a pundit. There's a really low bar needed to be a pundit tbh. Did you play football and will some people recognise you by name? Okay, you're good enough to wheel out in front of a TV camera and spout your bollocks as a pundit.

I thought it was bizarre they brought in Lampard as interim manager considering it's not that long ago he was the actual manager. His time at Derby, Chelsea, and Everton before this demonstrated... he's not exactly a man you bring in to turn things around. At best he gets the club to exactly they were in the same position they were in before he ever came in. They said a lot of shit about him "knowing the club" - and sure, a lot of the players he's managing now are the same ones he was managing before... but there's also new players, players that have left either permanently or on loan, and totally new owners he's working under. So it's not 100% the same as things were before. And if he wasn't good enough before... he's not going to be good enough while the team looks lost and rudderless.

They should have gone for Fat Sam instead of Fat Frank. At least Allardyce has a track record of focusing on making teams more solid and difficult to beat. Lampard's got a track record of... not really doing much and looking like he's still got a lot to learn in football.

I think Neville's happening abroad probably helps him a bit on this although his is largely laughed off as a bit of a joke (like it should be). I don't know if Lampard will quite see the funny side in all honesty.

That whole "knows the club" mentality is absolute muck. There are so many of these sorts of cliches and beliefs within the game that I find to be utterly restrictive. I think another one is obsession with experience of playing / managing in the Premier League. For me it's not so much a weakness but I think if you limit yourselves to players & managers with just experience of playing in this league you are missing out on so much. That sort of mentality is what gets the likes of Lampard and Gerrard the Brighton job over De Zerbi.

31 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If you changed the words 'still listen to' to the word 'Tolerate' then I am on board regarding Neville but the rest is pretty much spot on... that's all they are, ex players or guests rolled out to try and meet the entertainment quota when most of them know next to nothing about actually managing a side themselves.. just players like Neville for example who can try and convince us he knows all about tactics and how to stop the opposition when in reality he took it up the arse without lube during his time in charge of a club.. It's better that these ex players just talk about what it was like to be a United/Liverpool/Chelsea player back in the day  while slagging off the current crop of players and pointing out the obvious like " They need a striker" when the side don't score or "They need a decent defender" when they concede a lot during the season...

I have a lot more time for players who just had decent careers as players and have some observations on what they think needs doing because at least they knew what it was like to be down there on the pitch but get what @Cicero is saying about Lampard.. Like Neville I would not be interested in your opinion of how you would 'shake things up' at half time by bringing on x,y or z player when in reality we all know full well what they would both do is get your club in a relegation battle... 

Would love to see an upset, but that defence for West Ham looks a mess. Not having Rice in the midfield is a massive miss. Pep has left a couple of players out, but they should walk through that West Ham 11. Unfortunately. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived